Lost My Dad Today

In the coming years you will think of him... Sometimes it will be happy, sometimes very sad and sometimes both at the same exact time... Allow yourself your emotions... Allow yourself the time to cry if need be... These times will happen at expected times and totally unexpected moments.

Just take good care of yourself and your family.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Shannow
11 years go on my 40th, he gave me a bottle of 2002 Shiraz (for my 40th birthday) to open "some day special.

Opened it today...corks really were an utter pain.

Cheers Dad..I think it's coming together now.

Just realized you posted this exactly 5 years after you lost your Dad ... so popping the cork on that bottle has significance, and hope you enjoyed the moment and he knows it.

zee's post pretty much says it all.
I'm sure that you enjoyed the wine.

9 years since Dad took his life...
Pic here is bittersweet, taken on the day, my son reading quietly...daughter performing in the theatre behind this garden.

Me waiting to hear the inevitable news.

6-1/2 years later, last time I ever saw and heard my son, was after a few months of no contact, and I saw him in the mall...he turned on his heel when he saw me, and saidf "It's too complicated, you wouldn't understand", and strode off...

IMG_0623.JPG

9 years since Dad took his life...
Pic here is bittersweet, taken on the day, my son reading quietly...daughter performing in the theatre behind this garden.

Me waiting to hear the inevitable news.

6-1/2 years later, last time I ever saw and heard my son, was after a few months of no contact, and I saw him in the mall...he turned on his heel when he saw me, and saidf "It's too complicated, you wouldn't understand", and strode off...

View attachment 128539

He'll come around but it may be awhile.

I know very little about you and your personality. I always tell my friends to get professional counseling to deal with life's absurdities. It's hard for many men to "man up" and let go of what I call the John Wayne male syndrome. Ignore this if it doesn't apply to you.

Most of us go through life challenges and we cannot know what's going on inside another's brain. I cannot fathom what you are going through with your kids and I wish and pray that in adulthood they will figure out the situation and that you care about and love them.

Best to you!

Sorry for your loss. Be strong. I lost my Dad in 2008 and miss him every day and thank God daily for having him as long as I did and for being a great father to me.

Last edited:
10 years today...

If you know a bloke in Oz under the age of 55, he is more likely to be taken by his own hand than any other single factor .

Dad was about a decade older...but had been walking with the black dog a long long time...40 years prior I stumbled across him mishandling a firearm in a lonely space...

I am so sorry that you and your family had to go through this. I know a family close to me who had the same thing happen. It is hard for them. God bless you.

Back