Lost My Dad Today

Sorry for your loss. We to have had quite a few deaths in the family lately. It seems the baby boomer generation is unfortunately starting to show their age.

My condolences, Shannow. Instant, deep lonesome feeling. Dad left us in Y2K and there are times when something neat happens to me and my first impulse is to find Dad and show him.....

All these guys are on the right track. Tell your kids all about him and keep making memories with them. And be eternally grateful he was your father.

I can't imagine, and the concept of going through this breaks my heart just to think of it. So sorry to hear of your loss.

Thanks all...I appreciate the support.

Process takes process time, so funeral is nearly a week away even now.

Gives us a chance for our daughter to be brought into the process now...when her camp finishes

Shannow, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

I lost my father this summer. Not suddenly though he had been sick and is no longer suffering.

Please know that you are in my thoughts though this time.

Keep the memories close to your heart, he will always be there with you.

Very sorry for your sudden loss Steve.
It's been a few years now since my father passed but he was 86 and it wasn't a surprise.
A sudden loss of a loved one is the worst.
My condolences to you and yours.

Funeral yesterday, as it took a while for his body to be released.

Their church let them have the funeral on Monday, which is out of the norm, for years of support they my parents gave them.

Interesting barrage of emotions sitting with him in repose, all the silly things that I was saving up to tell him next time I saw him (e.g. the other day used the last tool in my Metrinch tool kit, after a decade of ownership...mileage on the way travelling down, just silly little conversations that we used to have).

Thanks all for your support.

I well understand all those emotions that come up in the situation you are describing. "Barrage" is a good word for it. The finality is overwhelming. Been there, had trouble processing, know I'll be there again in the future. It is tough, but it makes us more human (if we let it).

11 years go on my 40th, he gave me a bottle of 2002 Shiraz (for my 40th birthday) to open "some day special.

Opened it today...corks really were an utter pain.

Cheers Dad..I think it's coming together now.

Back