Lost My Dad Today

Awe.. Sorry for your loss Shannow.

I lost my Dad due to cancer ~4yrs ago. I miss him every day.

Thanks for the support, all of you...

It's been surreal, with wife and daughter down at the performances for the week, my son and I were batching. Hitting tennis balls in the back lane, developing advanced ball retrieval techniques from drains and roofs, toasting marshmallows, and cooking ribs over the coals...building memories.

Rejoined one of the Oz rifle clubs last week, hoping to get some range time in with Dad after Christmas, as he was taking it up as a retirement hobby.

Heading down to the big smoke to get the womenfolk, and get the news...trying to find somewhere to pull over to get out of the car, so as not to have the conversation in front of him...

weird

So sorry to hear that, Shannow.

Please take good care of yourself and the rest of the family. I'm sure your dad is now in a better place, watching over you and your brother, etc.

Quest

Shannow, you've been a treasure on this forum; I can only guess how fine a parent your father was, enjoying your posts here tells me he was something exceptional.

Now all that remains is the memories and keeping those alive is the greatest tribute you could do for him. Godspeed my friend....

Good thoughts are with you. There are signs everyday to those left behind from the other side. Be sensitive to that, and you'll realize your loved ones are still with you.

I'm terribly sorry to read of this Steve. I wish you and your family strength and peace during this time. It seems you're handling this well and taking the right lesson away from it- building memories with your kin.

I would like to tell you that he's graduated and gone home. His reality now is beyond anything we can imagine here. We will all arrive back home, one day- and wake up from our dream, break free from the contraint of time and our commitment of this 'tabla rasa life' of amnesia that we entertain here.

Mourning is natural, but never allow it to take away from celebrating his life.

peace

May the Lord, Family, and Friends. Support you and your loved ones during your time of need. No words I can say will be enough to comfort you but we will support you anyway we can.

Shannow - so sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad in August and I know there are no words to describe the feeling. Reflecting on all of the good times helps, but there is (I think will always be) a void that cannot be filled. God Bless!

Oh no.... So sorry you lost your Father.

Peace be with you & your Family.

Remember the good times mate, you were lucky to have him. My father died when I was 13, my wife the same, fatherless at 13. We never had a father to guide us through our teenage years, help us make those important decisions in our 20's...and our children never had a grandfather. We never had to argue and defend our decisions - we were lost, fathers are so important.

I don't know if it's tougher losing someone suddenly, or a long illness. My mother died from pancreatic cancer 9 years ago, 10 months watching her fade away. The trauma of the death sentence in the first few days, and by the end it's just a release, all our goodbyes said, some skeletons out of the closet, and being told where to look for the hidden ones she didn't want to confront.

Tell your kids about him, they need to know what Grandad was like when he was your father.

Silk, yeah, it's a different dynamic to the terminal illness that my MIL went through some time ago...makes you realise that the obvious, in your face physical suffering is open. Other people suffer in other ways.

Back