Losing Weight, down 81 pounds so far

Well, here we are. Down 100 pounds as I weighed in today at 211. Very happy so far but the road continues! I still don't know what I want my weight to be. Probably in the 190's. I haven't been working out and I've lost muscle, I really should start building muscle.

But I've hit my first milestone, like a car rolling over the odometer 🎉

I was just about to post about that. Make sure you don’t lose muscle while you’re losing weight. Maybe incorporate some isolate and creatine into your daily diet, and this would also be a good time to start hitting the gym. You’ll burn even more fat while gaining muscle.

Me, having a slender build and a sky high metabolism, I use regular whey so to get the additional carbs and calories when working out.

I’m 53, 6’1, 32 inch waist, and weigh in right at 175. My last checkup, my bloodwork was perfect as was my bmi.

Nice!

Just had some blood work done ahead of my next physical--failed 3 tests, so I'm guessing I'll be diagnosed as pre-diabetic tomorrow. I knew it was coming, it's been a bad year, but all the more reason for me to get it figured out.

Nice!

Just had some blood work done ahead of my next physical--failed 3 tests, so I'm guessing I'll be diagnosed as pre-diabetic tomorrow. I knew it was coming, it's been a bad year, but all the more reason for me to get it figured out.
good luck..... so many things can change on us with age -

Great job. My wife has had to watch her weight for 40 years+. Ultimately only 5% are successful in managing their weight.

Hope you are one of them!!

110 lbs myself. Keep on keeping on brother!
Before:
Helms-Biggles.jpg

After:
315084812_1675943126141026_1440188498341040360_n.jpg

What a great post from the OP.
Many of my feelings exactly.
Diets are a "fad" Meaning going on a diet to lose weight doesn't make sense if you put it back on after going off the diet.

Diet in the other sense of the word is eating properly. Healthy foods, no "grazing" on snacks in-between meals. Lean meats, vegetables, fruits, no white flour products and simply maintain and weigh what your BMI calls for.
My main meal is dinner, I try not to eat before that but if I do, I love organic skim milk and shredded wheat plus a piece of fruit.

One day a week, such as a Saturday night dinner "anything goes" if I wish to eat something more fatty, like a pasta or pizza night or whatever when I go out to eat with my wife, even though, many times I eat fish at Bonefish grill. I have come to like eating fish more than a few times a week now, easily bought in Sam's Club or Costco, I prefer frozen flounder, my wife buys fresh Salmon or Trout for herself.
I will even eat a homemade hamburger once a month or so, but when I do, the chopmeat is normally 95% lean with the American Heart Association sticker on it.
Im not perfect by any means, I actually have to lose a little weight right now but I changed my diet so much, to lose, I just need to stop grazing on fruits and nuts and right away it starts coming down. I do try to stick to my BMI for my height and like the OP, you feel great when you do.

This sounds strange but I don‘t eat anything past 4 PM, 5 PM is the absolute latest. I can’t go to sleep on a full stomach.

Luckily I have never had any problems with weight or diet.

Last edited:
congrats!! glad you found a way that works for YOU!! loosing excess body fat is the real goal as well as getting healthier. theres lots of info on-line + in books BUT you gotta find the truth. i was also a breakfast eater + anytime in my younger working days BUT after retiring i got a bit "chubby" + BP was getting up + for me lowering carbs + eating more eggs that i love as well as healthy fats like grass fed butter kept me satisfied longer with NO cravings + i too now skip a typical breakfast just black coffee with a good MCT oil + a little real peanut butter-ground peanuts only No sugar or plastic hydrogenated oil to stop separation! i also enjoy a gallon or so of full fat RAW milk weekly as fat supresses glucose rise that triggers insulin said to be most important. its sad to see so many overweight people that are surely hooked on sugars that are many hidden in processed foods, every night i add a prayer for the obese that will surely have a miserable old age IMO

I didn't read much of your post.
I did my time with IF / OMAD.
What I do now is wayyyy better.
Look into soluble fiber and the benefits of the bean protocol.
Eating 1 TBS of beans many times per day detoxifies the bile, and helps create new, clean bile.
It's life changing.

as noted weight is NOT the bottom line BUT body fat + the same volume of muscle weighs more than body fat + looking at many pro athletes shows that. there is a great carb substitute that fills + satisfies without making you crave MORE its REAL food + be sure to consume FULL fats not lo fat that skyrockets glucose that stimulates insulin, a fat storage hormone. once you get weaned off sugars + foods that quickly convert like all grain your cravings will go away like mine did!!! good luck to all as its not easy at first but you must make healthy controlled eating a LIFESTYLE + NOT a diet!!

I've been on OMAD again, for the last 10 days or so and I feel great. I ended a 30 hour fast yesterday at dinner, but have only lost about 7 pounds so far. Ideally, I like to only eat lunch, but right now I'm only having dinner, which I think, is causing the weight to come off slower. In August 2021 I was 174lbs. my lowest in 25 years and am back up to 196lbs right now, it's a struggle, but I WILL be 174lbs. again, in a few months. @Nick1994 how's your progress?

I've been on OMAD again, for the last 10 days or so and I feel great. I ended a 30 hour fast yesterday at dinner, but have only lost about 7 pounds so far. Ideally, I like to only eat lunch, but right now I'm only having dinner, which I think, is causing the weight to come off slower. In August 2021 I was 174lbs. my lowest in 25 years and am back up to 196lbs right now, it's a struggle, but I WILL be 174lbs. again, in a few months. @Nick1994 how's your progress?
I updated 2 weeks ago that I finally hit -100 pounds. Not sure how I’m doing this week, I’m out of state on vacation so definitely gained some. But will be home next weekend so back to the grind.

Well, here we are. Down 100 pounds as I weighed in today at 211. Very happy so far but the road continues! I still don't know what I want my weight to be. Probably in the 190's. I haven't been working out and I've lost muscle, I really should start building muscle.

But I've hit my first milestone, like a car rolling over the odometer 🎉
Yes and when you do have meals make sure you are getting enough protein. Depending on your age that is about 50 to 80 to 100 grams a day.
Fish is great for this.
To the best of my knowledge when losing weight you want to make sure you are getting enough protein so your body continues to burn off fat and not take muscle mass to burn. (or something like that)

Wow, interesting, my weight range is right there.
Many years ago I started on a super healthy diet from just "healthy" trying to beat the horrible family history of diabetes and heart disease.
I have pretty much been successful. I eat super healthy but in the last year or so started gaining weight. Believe it or not it's not from junk food but too many fruits and nuts. I have recently made that commitment to be back on that road to the magic number of 170 to 175.

For me, it's as simple as what I call "grazing" after dinner. I have to stop it and my weight comes down. If everyone didnt "graze" their weight would come down. I dont believe in diets, diets do not work because people go off diets.
When you get to only eat two meals a day and NO grazing, you most likely get to weigh your proper body weight (BMI) I felt so cool/great being at 173 ish... which took me back decades to when I was a teenager. Im 5'11" one might consider slightly stocky.

I did lose some muscle some years back when I got down to the magic number, this time I now go to Orange Theory two times a week to build and maintain muscle mass and for protein, when I get home from there I have one Orgain Clean Protein Milk Protein Shake, not that this is important in anyway but it tastes so good that I consider it a treat when and ONLY the days when I get home from the gym. I am doing this, this time around since these workouts are intense I am hoping to build muscle while my weight drops. It's also the only "meal" I will have until dinner.

I have NO idea if that will work but they taste really good :whistle: I buy them by the case when on sale in Costco. ( I honestly dont know if this is a good idea or not but think it will work for me, so far)

IMG_0796.JPG

Last edited:
For me, it's as simple as what I call "grazing" after dinner. I have to stop it and my weight comes down. If everyone didnt "graze" their weight would come down. I dont believe in diets, diets do not work because people go off diets.
When you get to only eat two meals a day and NO grazing, you most likely get to weigh your proper body weight (BMI) I felt so cool/great being at 173 ish... which took me back decades to when I was a teenager. Im 5'11" one might consider slightly stocky.
Yes, it's a problem I also have. I shifted my OMAD to dinner instead of lunch for that exact reason, there's no snacking at night because I just finished having dinner. Weight loss is slower this way though.

Yes, it's a problem I also have. I shifted my OMAD to dinner instead of lunch for that exact reason, there's no snacking at night because I just finished having dinner. Weight loss is slower this way though.
Slower maybe but much greater chance of long term success I would think?

Back