Losing Weight, down 81 pounds so far

Your ideal weight/height ratio also depends on your frame size. I’m 6’1 and have a medium frame. I’ve weighed around 175 since I turned 18, and I’m 53 now. I have an insanely high metabolism. If I don’t constantly eat I’ll drop weight almost instantly. My last checkup, the nurse said I have a perfect fit Nordic body;)

About the refined sugars, cut them completely. Naturally occurring sugars such as fruit and vegetables are the healthy ones.

My blood pressure stays around 116/70.

congratulations!!! its not the body fat itself but what you do or dont do + what you eat to put it there, + as noted fasting is the best tool because eating or drinking most anything raises glucose levels requiring your body to secrete insulin to lower it + there lies the issue!! i was not very heavy but BP was up + like you always ate breakfast but after reading a LOT i skip it + eat twice a day, low carb mostly. almost 2 years like that + BP is good along with other markers + i am rarely hungry + NO cravings!! i used to crave desserts now but lo carb berries are my treat. again great work + staying with proper eating must be a LIFESTYLE NOT a DIET!!!

Congrats and keep it up with the diet mods, those are amazing results! Like the saying goes: pounds are lost in the kitchen and ounces in the gym.

There aren't many shortcuts when it comes to dieting but the following ones are proven by scientific papers and compiled by Dr. Michael Greger MD PhD from his book "How Not to Diet". His YT channel is also filled with science based diet advice and health info.

1 — Preload with water​

Cold water boosts your metabolism. Have two cups before each meal to also help you feel more full.

2 — Preload with ‘negative calorie’ foods​

Just changing the order in which you eat your foods can have meaningful metabolic impact. Starting each meal with an apple, light soup or salad may also later reduce your appetite for other, high-calorie-density foods.

3 — Enjoy undistracted meals​

Don’t eat while watching TV or playing on your phone.

4 — Follow the 20-minute rule​

Studies have demonstrated that boosting the amount of time food is in our mouths can result in lower caloric intake, so extend meal duration to at least 20 minutes. Choose bulkier, harder, chewier foods and take smaller, well-chewed bites.

5 — Incorporate vinegar​

Flavor meals or dress a side salad with two teaspoons of vinegar, as it has been found to assist in weight loss.

6 — Cumin​

A half teaspoon of regular cumin at lunch and dinner has been shown to help lose weight.

7 — Black cumin​

Trials have found that a quarter teaspoon of black cumin powder every day also appears to reduce body mass index.

8 — Garlic powder​

Studies have found that a daily quarter teaspoon of garlic powder can reduce body fat.

9 — Ground ginger and cayenne pepper​

Trials have found that ¼ teaspoon to 1½ teaspoons a day of ground ginger decreased body weight. It can be as easy as stirring the ground spice into a cup of hot water. Alternatively, adding a half teaspoon of red pepper powder into your daily diet can also help burn fat.

10 — Nutritional yeast​

Two teaspoons of brewer’s, baker’s, and nutritional yeasts contains a type of fiber called beta-glucan and trials have found it can facilitate weight loss.

11 — Green tea​

Drink three cups a day between meals (waiting at least an hour after a meal so as to not interfere with iron absorption). During meals, drink water, black coffee, or hibiscus tea mixed 6:1 with lemon verbena.

12 — Stay hydrated​

Have nine cups of unsweetened beverages a day for women – which would be taken care of by the green tea and water preloading recommendations – or 13 cups a day for men. (If you have heart or kidney issues, don’t increase fluid intake without first talking with your doctor.) Avoid diet fizzy drinks – they may be calorie-free, but their artificial sweeteners are associated with increased weight gain and abdominal fat over time.

13 — De-flour your diet​

Whole grains are better than refined grains when we’re trying to lose weight. But eating intact whole grains – such as muesli, brown rice and solid beans – rather than those that have been powdered, is also beneficial in feeding our good gut bacteria with starch. Instead of buying boxed breakfast cereals, make oatmeal out of whole, intact oats.

14 — Front-load your calories​

There are metabolic benefits to distributing more calories to earlier in the day, so make breakfast (ideally) or lunch your largest meal of the day.

15 — Time-restrict your eating​

Confine eating to a consistent daily window of under 12 hours in length.

16 — Optimize exercise timing​

Ninety minutes of moderately intense activity a day is also the optimum exercise duration for weight loss. Anytime is good, but there may be an advantage to exercising at least six hours after your last meal, so typically before breakfast, before a late lunch, or before dinner if you’ve had an early lunch.

17 — Complete your implementation intentions​

Change your existing bad habits to good ones, or establish new good habits, using implementation intentions. Instead of vague self-promises to “do our best,” these are specific if-then plans. For example: “If I get hungry after dinner, I will eat an apple.”

18 — Weigh yourself twice a day​

Regular self-weighing is considered crucial for long-term weight control.

19 — Fast after 7pm​

Because of our circadian rhythms, food eaten at night is more fattening than the exact same food eaten earlier in the day.

20 — Get sufficient sleep​

Aim for at least seven hours of sleep every night.

21 — Experiment with mild Trendelenburg​

Try spending at least four hours a night lying with your body tilted head-down six degrees, towards the “Trendelenburg position” by elevating the posts at the foot of your bed by eight inches, as this pulls more blood into the heart and encourages it to release a fat-burning hormone. Ask a GP first about trying this – do not attempt it if you have any heart or lung issues, acid reflux, or problems with your brain or eyes. And be careful when you get out of bed as it can make you feel light-headed.

Hope he tells us he is still doing will with the loss. Ultimately only 5% are successful with keeping weight off.

Hope he tells us he is still doing will with the loss. Ultimately only 5% are successful with keeping weight off.
Weight loss has been going good. It’s slowed down a bit though. I haven’t been as strict as I was before but still not bad at all. I’m going to start weighing my food and counting calories strictly again. I’ve been very very roughly doing the math in my head and calling it good enough. I’ve also started exercising again, I wasn’t for a while.

At 89 pounds down now.

Another thing to add is I look so different. I have almost 1 chin now! :ROFLMAO: I found a picture of me from 5/2021 and I was shocked. I showed my sister and she gasped LOL.

Weight loss has been going good. It’s slowed down a bit though. I haven’t been as strict as I was before but still not bad at all. I’m going to start weighing my food and counting calories strictly again. I’ve been very very roughly doing the math in my head and calling it good enough. I’ve also started exercising again, I wasn’t for a while.

At 89 pounds down now.
Fantastic! Way to go!

Awesome for you Nick!! I need to lose about 15 lbs, I'm 6'-0" and #205 lbs. during the Covid time I put some weight on I want to lose. I'm 54 years old and the added weight after 50 is not a good thing!

Back