Looks like M1 EP 5w30 formulation has possibly changed.

I was just browsing on Mobil 1's website today and decided to look at the Safety Data sheet for the Mobil 1 EP 5w30. It looks like the SDS was revised on June 8, 2022, which is two days ago.

I remember looking at the EP 5w30 SDS couple months ago and I know I saw 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED in the SDS (probably 10% at most), but It looks like they got 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED (PAO) off the list from the EP 5w30 as of June 8, 2022. The ingredients table for the EP 5w30 looks identical to vanilla M1. No one will know what they are hidinc from the ingredients list because of "trade secrets", but I would think the information is accurate. There is no more PAO in EP 5w30.

Did anybody see this? I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed.

Is Mobil 1 possibly removing PAO/AN from their products? Is it a supply issue? As many of us know, over the years, many M1 products stopped using PAO/AN. It looks like EP 0w20 is the only one left that I know of.

I am curious to see what will happen to EP 0w20, because EP 0w20's SDS hasn't been revised in almost a year. Many people have been praising EP 0w20 for a long time, but I have a feeling EP 0w20 will possibly become more "similar" to all the other EP products.

Anyhow, just trying to see what opinions people have about this recent revision.

It will have some poa or ester base oil because it gtl and group 3 oil will additive cannot protection or oci 20k I believe they just change formulation little less poa or ester . My opinion

That was why I switched to Mobil 1 EP 5w30...the PAO. Now that it no longer has it, on my following change, I am going to go back to Valvoline EP 5w30.
Yeah, I wouldn’t blame you. I only buy the Mobil1 EP for the PAO, if they were to stop habit in the 0w20 I’d switch to another brand. As far as I know they havent as of yet, but who knows? Maybe they have.

And what I find so ironic, is that after Mobil pitched a fit at Castrol, they did the exact same thing, switched to group 3 base stocks aka Visom (from their leaked presentation paper). They used some kind've verbiage "We are moving from group 4 base stocks to group 3 base stocks without disclosing this to the consumer" or something like that. Pot meet kettle.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what I find so ironic, is that after Mobil pitched a fit at Castrol, they did the exact same thing, switched to group 3 base stocks aka Visom (from their leaked presentation paper). They used some kind've verbiage "We are moving from group 4 base stocks to group 3 base stocks without disclosing this to the consumer" or something like that. Pot meet kettle.
Why wouldn't they have challenged it? Making PAO was their advantage and someone came along and found a way to refine crude so much that they felt they could call it synthetic, and doing it cheaper, taking away their primary advantage.

It put them at a big marketing disadvantage, and cost them money. So it makes sense they'd do it to be competitive.

Why wouldn't they have challenged it? Making PAO was their advantage and someone came along and found a way to refine crude so much that they felt they could call it synthetic, and doing it cheaper, taking away their primary advantage.

It put them at a big marketing disadvantage, and cost them money. So it makes sense they'd do it to be competitive.

Yes... Castrol, right?

The MSDS also doesn't say that it does not include PAO, only that 20-30% of the bast stock is Visom. My guess is that it does contain some PAO along with GTL and blended accordingly to what is on hand...

If we could directly address in this thread.. if base oil composition matters or not.

I hear both ways.. I believe the prevailing view is, that is is the oil as a whole, complete with its AW and FM additive packages that make it effective, and therefore base oil - probably a Group 3+ or "highly refined" Group 3, always thought referred to as III+.. is mostly irrelevant.

Then the very next thread, it's "It is mostly Group 4 with some Group 5" and wowza, better oil. Then someone comes in and says there are blending challenges and that it can't be all Group 4 or 5 or such, there are levels to this.. so, aside from the argument that Group 4 (PAO) stocks as well as 5 can be pushed to farther limits than III+.. I would like to see, if we can see this stop changing every thread, where "So long as it meets the spec" is then ditched for "Its got more PAO! It's got more Group 5!"... I've been guilty of being a Group 5 groupie myself.

Now I like ANs, which are Group 5....

Check the four-digit formulation number on the date stamp. If it has changed, the formulation has changed. If it hasn't changed, the formulation hasn't changed.

Moreover, regardless of the base-oil composition, M1 EP is simply an a lot better oil than the vanilla M1 and M1 Truck & SUV because it has a lot more antioxidants (AO) for extended OCIs.

If we could directly address in this thread.. if base oil composition matters or not.

I hear both ways.. I believe the prevailing view is, that is is the oil as a whole, complete with its AW and FM additive packages that make it effective, and therefore base oil - probably a Group 3+ or "highly refined" Group 3, always thought referred to as III+.. is mostly irrelevant.

Then the very next thread, it's "It is mostly Group 4 with some Group 5" and wowza, better oil. Then someone comes in and says there are blending challenges and that it can't be all Group 4 or 5 or such, there are levels to this.. so, aside from the argument that Group 4 (PAO) stocks as well as 5 can be pushed to farther limits than III+.. I would like to see, if we can see this stop changing every thread, where "So long as it meets the spec" is then ditched for "Its got more PAO! It's got more Group 5!"... I've been guilty of being a Group 5 groupie myself.

Now I like ANs, which are Group 5....
Still Relevant today:

A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Base Oils​

Motor oil development is moving in leaps and bounds and has been. Incredible what the engineers and chemists have accomplished. After I push the limits of commonly available motor oils I wanna try something that has lots of PAO's. Is Redline still a true PAO synthetic?

Back