Looking for experienced reviews of various tire brands share your experience with me

Hey everyone, We opened a small repair shop recently and are getting into the tire game. I can sell just about any tires I want. I wanted your real world tire experiences good or bad to help me make a decision on as the main brands to focus on. I’d like a premium line I push a middle of the road brand and an economy brand. Figured a nice way to go about that is to listen to real world owners here on bitog and get some feedback. Thank you for the help!

It might be wise to focus on brands that aren't advertised as frequently (or at all) by big competitors. If Costco carries the same model of tire as you do, or the big chain is advertising them on sale at each change in season, it might be tough to compete head to head.

Around here, a good line of tires that meets those criteria would be something like a Yokohama or Toyo, speaking from personal experience and satisfaction with those brands.

In the past I've had great luck with BFG and Continental, but more recently I've been impressed with General. I currently have Michelin AS4's on my BMW, and after they are done I'll go with the same General G-Max AS05 my friend has on his BMW. They seem to be just as good as my Michelins, but cheaper and didn't need to be re-balanced 5 different times.

I would say Michelin for your "premium" offering, especially in the sport sector
Nexen for your mid (have 75K on a set of AT Pro RA8 tires on the Wife's Armada and have been extremely pleased with them)

Reactions: hrv
From products here:

TOP: Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin
Mid: Avon, Cooper, Falken, Firestone, Fulda, Hankook, Kumho, Maxxis, Nexen (Roadstone), Nokian, Toyo, Uniroyal, Vredestein, BFGoodrich, General
Eco: GT Radial, Federal, Matador, Petlas, Silverstone, Nankang

Hey everyone, We opened a small repair shop recently and are getting into the tire game. I can sell just about any tires I want. I wanted your real world tire experiences good or bad to help me make a decision on as the main brands to focus on. I’d like a premium line I push a middle of the road brand and an economy brand. Figured a nice way to go about that is to listen to real world owners here on bitog and get some feedback. Thank you for the help!
It’s been many years since I’ve sold tires and stuff, but there are ways (discounttiredirect.com was one of mine) that you can basically offer everything they have, buy wholesale from them, and turn around next day and have the tires ready for your customer.

Since you don’t want to miss the impulse buys, I’d have some of the lower-tier tires on hand, and if someone is interested in a premium tire, make the sale on the spot and have them come in the next day to get them installed. It reduces your overhead while not really impacting the business, plus it helps make sure you don’t have any tires “aging out” and needing to be clearance-priced. My $0.02…

Conti, Michelin and Pirelli...all good. Kind of like IBM in the old days, can't go wrong for the most point.

Vredestein are good niche tire, expanding in the market.

But, to Subie's point, it is probably not worth carrying much inventory in stock. Given the myriad of sizes, brands, etc. I would only maybe carry a few of the most popular sizes (in your area) in stock, and probably only the moderate priced ones. If you do safety inspections, then that may be a different story as you will be creating some of your own business so to speak...could be worth having some of the right mix on hand.

inventory=carrying cost

Conti, Michelin and Pirelli...all good. Kind of like IBM in the old days, can't go wrong for the most point.

Vredestein are good niche tire, expanding in the market.

But, to Subie's point, it is probably not worth carrying much inventory in stock. Given the myriad of sizes, brands, etc. I would only maybe carry a few of the most popular sizes (in your area) in stock, and probably only the moderate priced ones. If you do safety inspections, then that may be a different story as you will be creating some of your own business so to speak...could be worth having some of the right mix on hand.

inventory=carrying cost
Plus, even at the wholesale pricing there is not a ton of markup on tires, so carrying inventory essentially means you’re pre-paying for customers who may never show up at your store.

I miss the days of car audio where 100% markup over wholesale was the norm… gave you lots of face-to-face wiggle room to be able to negotiate and still keep the lights on…

From products here:

TOP: Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin
Mid: Avon, Cooper, Falken, Firestone, Fulda, Hankook, Kumho, Maxxis, Nexen (Roadstone), Nokian, Toyo, Uniroyal, Vredestein, BFGoodrich, General
Eco: GT Radial, Federal, Matador, Petlas, Silverstone, Nankang

If I were to choose from that list...

Top: Michelin
Mid: Avon, Kumho, Maxxis, Nexen, with General being my favorite
Eco: Nankang

There are a couple of General tires that I'd recommend. Their Altimax RT is a great all season tire for cars and small SUVs. If you're in an area that sees snow and ice, the Altimax Arctic is similar to the famous Hakkapeliitta series, but less expensive.

I assume your buying from a local wholesaler, and if so find the best wholesaler with the best delivery. I think the vast majority of people couldn't name more than a couple brands and only will show up when there is a problem, so delivery is going to be key.

I have had great tires and poor tires from the same brand. I love goodyear, but I had a set that cupped (covered in warranty). The Generals I put on the wife's car are great, the ones I put on my truck 3 of 4 were out of round per a road force balancer, and the replacements were marginal in round at best. So all brands are hit and miss IMHO

I like my Nokian Encompass AW01 tires. It is an all season with the snowflake symbol. Make my Scion XB unstoppable in the worst conditions.

60K mile tires IIRC.

Top: Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental
Would buy again: Goodyear, General, and Yokohama
Probably won't buy again: Cooper, just haven't have great luck and haven't impressed. Use to be a would buy again but not with the prices matching top brands now.

Verdict is still out on some new Firestones I put on a couple months ago.

As a business owner I would be most concerned about making a profit on the products/services that I offer as long as they are safe for my customers. If you are in a small town and can offer brands that no one else does - that is what I would do.

If you are in a city you need to advertise a super quick turnaround on tire repairs for tires bought at your location. My wife just bought a set of Yokohamas from Discount Tire because she has been there 3x in the past 5 or so years and they always do a great job fixing the problem in a very professional and quick manner. I think this is a winning formula for todays consumer.

Many shops in my area offer the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S as their lower/mid priced option. I actually have them on my CR-V and am satisfied with them.

I know several shops offer TBC tires (Multi-Mile, Delta, Eldorado) as their budget lines. I see a lot of them around.

My mechanic can get basically any brand of tire but has been pushing Falken lately.

GT radials have always been pretty decent, IME. Mid level performance at lower range prices. My set of Multi-mile's were junk and have steered me away from contract made budget tires, I would try to avoid these as you'll be rebalancing, dealing with out of round tires, etc... Just a PTIA for everyone. BF Goodrich are previous generation Michelin tire tech which are pretty decent.

Back