Longest lasting OEM Automatic transmissions?

Wow, and in well over 40 years of driving I never had to replace an automatic transmission, all of which went easily 3-4 times that before I either sold or junked the cars. FTR I never owned a foreign car.
Yessir … same here … and witnessed incredible GM runs first hand … much of this thread will not make any sense to me … and will turn for the worst … so, Adios

For sure on the NAG1, But what SUV used it?
First gen ML and all the auto Gs up to like 05 then just the G55. JGC had it on a lot of configurations, the 3.7, SRT8 and the ok CRD V6. JK Wrangler had it for the last half of its run.

Last edited:
Forgot about the 3.7L JGC.....Which is the only model on that list likely to be bought by the OP, Though I could be wrong? Funny that the 5.7L used the weaker 545RFE.

There are Allison transmissions behind LML Duramax's with over 1,000,000 miles and still working. That's going to be tough to beat. I'm not sure how many were put in SUV's though

For sure on the NAG1, But what SUV used it?
2011-2013 V6 equipped Dodge Durango’s and Jeep Grand Cherokee’s, as well as the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with the 6.4 HEMI prior to going with the 8 speed. Why they put the, in my opinion, awfully geared 545RFE/65RFE behind the 5.7 in those I will never understand.

For anyone who has been around long enough you have to agree the turbo 400 gm transmission was probably the most bullet proof transmission of all time, OEM, atleast during their time.

It depends.....There are literally hundreds of build specifications for TH400's, It ran from 1964 to 1993. The best was likely the '69/'70 Cadillac versions.

For anyone who has been around long enough you have to agree the turbo 400 gm transmission was probably the most bullet proof transmission of all time, OEM, atleast during their time.
They were great, along with the C6 and the TorqueFlite 727.

My 2008 Toyota Yaris automatic which is U340E, so far 230,000km and still running strong.. I heard that Hyundai's automatics are pretty reliable and long lasting... I have a 2017 Elantra and 2019 Santa FE, hopefully they last a long long while...

Call a salvage yard and ask for a torqueshift 5r110 or 6r140 transmission for a Ford Superduty. They'll have 50 of them and **** near give you one to get rid of it, the things have been exceptionally reliable.

only had 2 atf fails in the over 50 cars have owned. my first 64 dodge dart and 95 Saturn that the dealer failed to tighten the filter on and its slow fluid loss was its demise. I seldom drove this car as it was the wifes and she never told me the trans was acting up till too late

You practically never hear of a bad Ford 4R100. Neglect and abuse rarely kill 'em. It's almost always a leak in the trans cooler line dumping all of the fluid out that does them in.

Had a 1996 Mercedes Diesel E Class with 290k I believe when I gave it to my nephew he drove it to 345+ when he sold didn't had a single issue.

You practically never hear of a bad Ford 4R100. Neglect and abuse rarely kill 'em. It's almost always a leak in the trans cooler line dumping all of the fluid out that does them in.

Built quite a few of them, A HOT 7.3L Powerstroke can kill one pretty quick. They certainly don't last forever in a overloaded F550. But.....Overall, They were definitely a vast improvement over the E4OD that it's based on.

Ford really knocked it out of the park with the 5R110!

I have to throw in the Ford AOD series as used in the Panther platform and a bunch of others. They got beat on(still do) in taxis and police cars, and in normal use I've seen them do over 200K without missing a beat.

Toyota. In the past I never had an American car auto trans last over 50K. That is why all my stuff is manual.

A car from any country needing major repairs before 100K miles is pretty unusual these days. I have mostly had Americans as daily drivers, and usually run them up over 150K before-for whatever reason-I shop for something else. Transmissions issues haven't been one of those "for whatever reason." I even managed 153K on the notoriously unreliable 5R55N before another driver decided it was time for that car to be off the road.

The only auto I've had die was a BW35, which is an old but supposedly reliable unit. I think that was more due to not actually getting all the old nasty fluid cleaned out of it after sitting for 10 years(I only dropped and cleaned the pan and changed the strainer). Funny enough, for the car it's in, the auto is actually considered more reliable than the manual.

Back