Longest lasting OEM Automatic transmissions?

Are we talking current units, or historical?

Current units that I see very few issues with:

ZF 8HP (and it's built under license Chrysler equivalent)

Ford 6R series, which is based on the ZF 6HP. Fun fact: you can use a Ford 6R pan and filter on a 6HP transmission in other applications. The only reason I know this is due to having to do a trans service on a Range Rover and discovering that the OE 6HP trans pan has the filter integrated into it. Great idea, but it doesn't allow the pan to clear a welded chassis cross member during removal. The options are: unbolt motor and trans mounts, jack the powertrain up, and hope you get clearance or break the neck of the original filter and replace it with a Ford filter, pan, and gasket. The added benefit of such a conversion is getting a steel pan vs. composite, and a drain plug.

Pretty much any Toyota transmission, FWD or RWD. As others have mentioned.

Basically any Aisin transmission ever made. Used in everything from Volvo's to GM's to Jeep's. Those things just don't give up.

I don't think they're used any more, but honorable mention goes to the Ford 4R70W, the 4R100 (E4OD), and several others that escape memory at the moment. OH! I'll get flack for this, but the Chrysler "Ultradrive" 41TE and it's many variants. The early ones? Pure junk. However, Chrysler stuck by the design and by the mid to late 90's it was a very solid transmission. It also spawned the 62TE six speed unit. Compared to the GM/Ford co-designed 6-speed auto that was released around the same time, it was a staple of reliability. Especially when compared directly to the GM version of said trans, which has a history of issues.

The baddies:

GM 6Lxx (insert torque rating for XX). I've seen far too many fail at sub-100, regardless of engine or vehicle.

GM 6Txx. As mentioned above, this trans was co-developed with Ford. Great idea, until GM originally used a non heat-treated wave spring in the 3-5-R clutch assembly. Needless to say, it almost always breaks, causing major internal damage. The failure rate was so high, they eventually extended the warranty on many applications to 10/120.

Subaru CVT's, from their release. I'm not sure how you under-design a transmission that only has to handle a feeble amount of power from a boxer-4, but they managed. From jerky operation, to TCC lockup issues, to full on failure. 100% avoid in my opinion.

That's really about it for (mostly) current transmissions, at least the ones I see at my shop. There was a slight issue in the late 00's with Mazda 5-speed auto's munching TCM's but that was due to an external, case mounted TCM that had poor potting on the PCB and would let water in. It rarely hurt the transmission itself, but it is about a $1,200 fix.

The 4R100s behind the gas 5.4s last forever, held up well behind the 7.3PSD as well until someone puts a chip on em

Yep, seems three of us have mentioned this huge box now. It's a big trans and definitely overkill for the 5.4L, but of course the 5.4L would never stress it. We've owned three of them and never had a problem with any of them. My old Expedition is still going on its original unit and my parents still have their 2000 which I'm absolutely certain, is going to have the powertrain outlast the chassis.

Toyota Landcruisers from 1990s seem to last forever.
Because they have resale value and owners willing to give them more care and maintenance than any econobox. 80s have all kinds of problems as they age. head gaskets any time they overheat or 200k, whichever comes first. Full axle and suspension rebuilds, oil leaks, random electrical nonsense, cooling system issues, Anything that can fail, will fail and parts are not old chevy pickup cheap.

Amazing trucks when they were new but if you’re not mechanically skilled or have a decent amount of cash you will get nickeled and dimed to death.
Anyway the A442 is a good tranny and one of Aisin’s best, the A440F in the earlier ones with the 3FE motor aren’t amazing and neither is the engine to be honest.

Last edited:
Now that we've established that with a stuck odometer they may well be on their way out... there's just the resale value left, I guess. One more frugal community...

Basically any Aisin transmission ever made. Used in everything from Volvo's to GM's to Jeep's. Those things just don't give up.

I've seen first hand how well the Aisin units hold up in Jeeps!
One of my first experiences off road was riding with someone in a Cherokee in some mud. He rocked it for at least 20 minutes. Foot to floor drive/reverse/drive/reverse. The transmission got so hot it was spraying transmission fluid out of the dipstick. He gave up once the engine got so hot it died and woudn't turn over. Let it cool for a while and it kept going for 100K more miles until the Jeep rusted apart.

Another one is in a friend's trail buggy. We ripped a line a few years ago and ran it dry. Threw on some fuel line and filled it with ATF and it kept going. Then after it sat, all the crud in the pan plugged the filter. it got another filter from a random AW-4 that was hanging out and back in action! On a trail ride last year I ended up piloting it and we lost the transmission line multiple times. We ran it dry 3 or 4 times to the point it wouldn't move. Once we used up everyone's supply of transmission fluid and power steering fluid, we switched to brake fluid.

It's still going today!

I try not to beat on mine too hard. It has 214K. In the 120000 miles I've put on it, I have probably changed the transmission fluid 10 times. Every few oil changes I'll drain and fill the transmission. I have a pretty large cooler on it and always keep the fluid red.

With that said, they make massive amounts of heat. In the winter I don't have to use the heater in my Cherokee because it generates so much heat with the transmission.

My biggest complaint is not being able to lock them into 1st gear. In snow / mud or sand if you watch Matt's offroad recovery, they will automatically shift up to 2nd if you creep up on 4000 RPM. In order to keep it in 1st, you need to mash the gas to the floor and keep it there. It's also frustrating that it won't hold itself back. Same thing, at 4000 RPM it will shift to 2nd. Which is not idea when you're trying to go down a hill on a trail with no brakes.

Reactions: NDL
"Are we talking current units, or historical? "

Last 20 years would be good. Looking for a extra vehicle built in the last 20 years, hopefully under 150k miles.
Toyota and Nissan top my list but looking at other options.

Last edited:
I had excellent service from a couple of Mitsubishi Invecs transmissions. One had 160k when I sold it and the other ran between 350-400k with two owners before it finally went out.

this thread is missing the NAG1

Attachments

• 1F93B136-DBC8-48FC-B0CF-714F42F57500.jpeg
    1F93B136-DBC8-48FC-B0CF-714F42F57500.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
FME, the Aisin A341E I had in an old Lexus worked up until that car was retired - 297K, all original. I did 10K spill and fills with T-IV or Castrol IMV fluid.

Couldn't really live up to promises in the XJR, two of the W5A580 were spent within 160k in the XJR.
I think Jaguar and to an extent Rolls-Royce/Bentley used GM’s 4L80 in their higher powered cars for a while, unless I’m wrong?

Yes, they had the 4-speed in the predecessor behind their own double six and behind the supercharged six. Would have preferred the 4L80-E very much, at the minimum it would have shown better fuel efficiency because of the faux fifth in the Mercedes box. As this usually started in second gear it wasn't worth the departure in any way.

Couldn't really live up to promises in the XJR, two of the W5A580 were spent within 160k in the XJR.
My VDP-SC has no problems at 110k, nor did my E55 with 50% more torque. Slow shifters but never let me down, the SRT and the MB V12 guys put down stupid amounts of power with it too.

I gave it up without really looking into AMG- or SLR-options in the catalogues, or whatever it was that could have been done to finally make it work. Good luck with the Daimler! And better treat her right.
Maybe the E55 saw sufficient modifications. Arriving at your 800+ Nm / 600+ lb-ft it otherwise definitely became a fuse box in one or another way. I just quit and never researched differences. No car should contain that much MB is basically still what methinks ;-(

this thread is missing the NAG1

The NAG1 is actually a good one, I forgot that. The early Mercedes 722.6 transmission had a few growing pains, mainly valve body issues and poor sealing, however they are very stout. Much like the oft-lamented Chrysler Ultradrive, they were constantly re-engineered and improved. There's a reason that the AMG division of MB continued to use it in ONLY their highest powered models. It's like a Turbo-400 or a 4R100. They're over-built, and proven.

Back