Longest lasting OEM Automatic transmissions?

I've always had a rule about not buying automatic transmission from the same people who built the Hindenburg...

If after so many decades of tremendous mediocrity, if ZF has gotten their act together recently, that would open up some used car possibilities for me. ;)

Aisin FTW, baby! So glad you can get them in European cars nowadays.
I know multiple people who have had to replace their 8-speed ram transmissions and SRT8 transmissions. My friend's mom had her RAM1500 (2016-18?) die at around 50K miles. Another friend had her 2013 RAM transmission start acting just like her aunt's SRT8 auto did, so she dumped it because her aunt ended up needing a new one under warranty and she didn't want to muck with it. Not sure the miles on it, this was only in 2015 though, so it wasn't a ton. I had a patient tell me (in 2015) that their 2015 JGC auto died and needed replacing. Just...not about that Chrysler stuff.

Honestly, until I got my Mazdas, I never had an auto worth beans. They all had issues (tq converter judder, slurred/slipping/refusal to shifts, random hard shifts that would SLAM the whole vehicle, or just plain died and would NOT shift) or died rapid deaths. My Mazda SkyActiv transmissions have all been flawless and near telepathic. Best autos I've driven, although the 8-speed in the Maserati I drove was close, just not as telepathically tuned, and it was a low mile unit so time will tell, there.

Clearing this up---> 4L60 aka 700R4 with pita TV cable, 4L60E 1992 and up.

And with Toyota, no way around it- you pay for that reliability compared with domestic vehicle pricing- which normally I am happy to do. But recently having a hard time with the price of admission and Nissan is looking like a better value.
If we are talking about non-Trucks, Nissan is never the better value, just the cheaper option. Their trucks hold up, though.

I was wondering how the 8 speeds held up once the miles started to pile up on them. ?
Got a RAM Limited with 88k miles and a Jeep GC with 128k miles - those 8 speeds are as smooth as the day they were bought. I have never did any fluid service either on them.

Back