Liquimoly Molygen 5W40 VOA

Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by wemay
Thanks TiGeo. Either one looks good to go for any VW as well as your modified GSW.

Oh for sure - the main issue with Molygen would be the lack of approval but based on this, I'd say it's just the added friction modifier. I ran Ceratec and MoS2 in my Leichtlauf so arguably the same issue w/r to warranty which BTW I don't get a flip about anway b/c of the tune/hardware I am running. So it comes down to that - want to run a friction modifier like Ceratec? Use Leichtlauf. Don't want to bother with a separate additive? Run the Molygen. Plus did I mention it's green?

Green is good, for obvious reasons in the VW508 crowd. ðŸ‘

Thanks TiGeo. Either one looks good to go for any VW as well as your modified GSW.

Oh for sure - the main issue with Molygen would be the lack of approval but based on this, I'd say it's just the added friction modifier. I ran Ceratec and MoS2 in my Leichtlauf so arguably the same issue w/r to warranty which BTW I don't get a flip about anway b/c of the tune/hardware I am running. So it comes down to that - want to run a friction modifier like Ceratec? Use Leichtlauf. Don't want to bother with a separate additive? Run the Molygen. Plus did I mention it's green?

Tune/hardware: by that you mean DPF/EGR?
For those who have a diesel but no DFP/EGR etc, this MolyGen would be a fairly stout oil, no?

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Just a question

Why is it that an oil has a name with MOLY in it

But has so little MOLY in its add package !!

RTG has over double the amount as well as several others

Just a question ?
Anybody know ?

Because their original product was MoS2. Does Shell gas have shells in it?

Apparently you've been missing play ground time at school since you've been held back at home for a few months.
What a childish reply to an ordinary question.
Maybe you should call Coca-Cola and ask them what's in Coke !

A product from the coca plant. The same plant used by drug cartels for making cocaine. In fact there is only one business (Maywood Chemical Works, aka Stepan Company) in the US that is licensed to import coca leaves which are then processed to extract the ingredient that they sell to Coca-Cola.

Originally Posted by whizbyu

Tune/hardware: by that you mean DPF/EGR?
For those who have a diesel but no DFP/EGR etc, this MolyGen would be a fairly stout oil, no?

Tune/hardware = larger turbo, downpipe, intake, ECU tuning software

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
For something with moly in its name (twice), there sure isn't very much moly there. Quite disappointing.

Check my ~30K change and most recent ~35K mile change. The 30K change had the LM additive Ceratec (looks like moly and boron) in it and the 35K change had the LM additive MoS2 (moly and boron but much less than you see with Ceratec). Both spike the Moly much more than the "MFC" additive in Molygen but keep in mind tungsten is the other additive in Molygen that you aren't seeing on the main analyte list - had that run separately and reported.

18 GOLF SW-200503_pre_flush-page_clean.jpg

I agree with the "Where's the Beef?" crowd. For Molygen to have what appears to be an afterthought of moly... is disappointing. Ravenol DXG, which is one of the few other oils (that I'm aware of) with the moly/tungsten combo, has more than double the moly (95 ppm on my sample).

With ample documentation that real friction reduction doesn't happen until the oil is approaching 100ppm Mo, it's surprising they've made such fanfare over this product. Thanks for the VOA though!

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Looks like a very stout oil and much better than the Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 to me. Much more Zddp, Phos, and Mag. and a healthy dose of Moly!

Do you know if this oil is Low SAPS? I'd like to run an OCI of this in my Passat TDi.

It is NOT recommended for diesels.

Then why does it have VW 502 and 505 approvals? as well as MB 229.5?

IIRC those are pre-DPF certs. 229.51 would be DPF equipped diesel. Of course VW has 504.507 but those are limited to 30w oils.
Exactly...

VW 504/507 is xW30 only...while MB 229.51/52 & BMW LL-04 can be xW40 also...

All three specs are DPF friendly....just that VW one is the toughtest (for 30-50kkms interval)...

But all 3 would work in your TDI....just go with "conservative" BITOG OCI (10-15kkms max)

I agree with the "Where's the Beef?" crowd. For Molygen to have what appears to be an afterthought of moly... is disappointing. Ravenol DXG, which is one of the few other oils (that I'm aware of) with the moly/tungsten combo, has more than double the moly (95 ppm on my sample).

With ample documentation that real friction reduction doesn't happen until the oil is approaching 100ppm Mo, it's surprising they've made such fanfare over this product. Thanks for the VOA though!
What is the tungsten content of the Ravenol DXG?

Just a question

Why is it that an oil has a name with MOLY in it

But has so little MOLY in its add package !!

RTG has over double the amount as well as several others

Just a question ?
Anybody know ?

Because their original product was MoS2. Does Shell gas have shells in it?

Apparently you've been missing play ground time at school since you've been held back at home for a few months.
What a childish reply to an ordinary question.
Maybe you should call Coca-Cola and ask them what's in Coke !
@TiGeo is correct. The name Liqui Moly goes back to 1957 when their first product was MoS2 aka Moly... O and Coca-Cola use to contain Cocaine... no joke.

The
for under warranty cars, colorful oils are big no-no... for obvious reasons.
otherwise all good.
The color goes away relatively quick - maybe 1K miles. You are correct that Molygen does not have any approvals and is only "recommended for" so to each their own w/r to any warranty concerns. For me, my car is already tuned/modfied and any major engine failure would unlikely to be covered - the oil type I use is the last of my warranty concerns which of course are zero b/c I did what I did after having a few mos. anyway. Keep in mind that VW508 00 oils (0W20) are also green colored and if your car calls for that approval then color of the oil is a non-issue.

i am writing on this old thread just for this..obviously the reason for some members to make fool of LM is the lack of moly..but then castrol which is a loved company here used to use castor oil at first recipes, they don't now..and addinol doesn't contain any exotic additives too..so it just name of a brand and if we want to be fair lets judge a company by its products and not by its names..as you see in my sign , i have never used LM yet.

Back