MoS2 + Molygen...mo' moly!

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Going to give the MoS2 a whirl with the LM Molygen. Did the oil change a few weeks ago and have already put ~2K on it since with a long road trip up north to upstate NY for a wagon event. Lots of conflicting info out there on this but LM actually says you can run the MoS2 with the Molygen based on some of their IG content, just not Ceratec b/c MoS2 is a solid friction modifier it won't interfere with the chemical additive (tungsten) in the oil. Accoridng to some info I've read, the Ceratec's chemical addtive will "compete" with the additive in Molygen. I removed 300ml of oil with a syringe and some hose and replaced with the can of MoS2. I've run it once before in this car with their standard Leichtlauf oil. Will see how she goes - I have a HPDE in Nov and was interested to try it in those conditions. Of course I will have no quantitiate data beyond a UOA which doesnt' tell you much beyond "There is more moly in the oil." but such is living the #snakeoillyfe in the additive forum.

20211009_145428.jpg

I was just on FCPEuros website perusing the Q&A where I came up with this topic on CeraTec with Molygen.

"
Question Posted by Darren
Can CERA TEC be added to Liqui Moly Molygen New Generation Oil.
Answer (Posted by FCP Euro Products Team)
The Molygen already has an additive package including Cera Tec but at a lower amount. It's not recommended to use Cera Tec with the Molygen since the Molygen already has Cera Tec in it. The Molygen oil is best to be used without this additive or another Liqui Moly oil can be used with Cera Tec added in at the recommended dose."

Apparently one of the pitfalls of being your own oil formulator.

At least with Molygen and additives you're sure of not disrupting any of the oil's approvals.

I was just on FCPEuros website perusing the Q&A where I came up with this topic on CeraTec with Molygen.

"
Question Posted by Darren
Can CERA TEC be added to Liqui Moly Molygen New Generation Oil.
Answer (Posted by FCP Euro Products Team)
The Molygen already has an additive package including Cera Tec but at a lower amount. It's not recommended to use Cera Tec with the Molygen since the Molygen already has Cera Tec in it. The Molygen oil is best to be used without this additive or another Liqui Moly oil can be used with Cera Tec added in at the recommended dose."
I've ask this of their folks in Germany as well for clarity - Molygen + Ceratec isn't recommended BUT Molygen + MoS2 is fine (although not really necessary).

EDIT - I have also seen videos on the IG where their tech folks comment that it's not going to hurt anything if you do it but just not ideal and probably shouldn't run the oil out to it's full interval. Who knows. You would think if this was an serious enough issue they would put that warning on their oil and additive.

Last edited:
I've ask this of their folks in Germany as well for clarity - Molygen + Ceratec isn't recommended BUT Molygen + MoS2 is fine (although not really necessary).

EDIT - I have also seen videos on the IG where their tech folks comment that it's not going to hurt anything if you do it but just not ideal and probably shouldn't run the oil out to it's full interval. Who knows. You would think if this was an serious enough issue they would put that warning on their oil and additive.
Their (FCP EURO) Q&A also had something interesting about the Engine Flush as well (I posted in that thread).

Their (FCP EURO) Q&A also had something interesting about the Engine Flush as well (I posted in that thread).
I've seen that exact bit on their site and have ask the LM folks the same and gotten the same response.

The proof. Laugh...it's ok to not always be super serious here. I note the guy spraying water on the IC in the LM run and 3-4 who is likely well within the margin of error for the dyno. Should always do multiple runs of each thing you are testing and average them. Finally, why add the MoS2 to the Castrol for the first run for an apples to apples comparo? Good stuff w/r to oil testing on the youtube as usual.

i have stash of these. both organic-tungsten addpack, but different rest of the container. (ester vs an)
after use, always i notice decrease in nvh (3 cyl); even with fresh oil. (fresh acea c2 0w30 is worst so far)

if you have modern tungsten in system, i would not bother with mos2 dust. it´s old school crap.

Back