Who's using Liquimoly Molygen?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by wemay
TiGeo, I've never been a LM fan or hater, but may pull the trigger on Molygen in the future as I'm intrigued. My biggest concern with that is bumping up to a 5W-40.

I'm even more "off the rails" than you guys. Been considering Mobil1 EP 0W-20 for the Passat. The GTX Magnatec I was considering will go in mom's HRV. I still have 2-cases of the VW branded 508 to go through, but my wavering opinion and world events may change that landscape too.
crazy.gif

Are those two cases of VW oil from the Mrs....for your most recent birthday present?
If you sell it off discretely - behind her back, I'm telling her. I'm a good squealer..... ask my kids / grandkids too.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by sloinker
If you like it and you don't care about the warranty just keep using it. Many VW folks are avid customers and it's pushed pretty hard by tuners and vendors.

I plan on it - the post was about seeing who else uses it. I know most folks on the board seem to trend to the cheaper M1/Castrol alternatives and LM is considered expensive for what it is/hyped up. I'll be switching my Atlas over to Leichtlauf High Tech next change as I'll start DIY'ing that one now that all the recalls/campaigns/warranty bits seem to be sorted.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
If you like it and you don't care about the warranty just keep using it. Many VW folks are avid customers and it's pushed pretty hard by tuners and vendors.

I plan on it - the post was about seeing who else uses it. I know most folks on the board seem to trend to the cheaper M1/Castrol alternatives and LM is considered expensive for what it is/hyped up. I'll be switching my Atlas over to Leichtlauf High Tech next change as I'll start DIY'ing that one now that all the recalls/campaigns/warranty bits seem to be sorted.

I was a longtime user of the LM Top Tec 4200. I even bought a 20L jug one time. Used it in a 2009 Jetta TDI for the majority of my ownership until VW bought it back in 2018.

I ran a couple UOAs on TT 4200 after I had been using it awhile. They were not good, pretty bad. That and the TBN was < 1.0 after 10k miles. Another UOA at 7500 showed the TBN at 2.0 which is when the oil was done and needed to be changed. The value of wear metal numbers is debatable however TBN depletion is not. I've seen the Mobil 1 esp product make it to 10k miles on other UOAs and have an acceptable TBN and seems to be a better product if one were to stick with the 507 spec.

I posted a negative review of TT 4200 on the vendors website where I bought it from based on the information above ^^^. I got immediately flamed by rabid LM fanboys. These other users attacked my review saying my car had underlying issues, didn't sample correctly, etc... which is BS. I can only speculate that LM product pages are "managed" by a group or agency that protects their image and uses profiles to respond to any negative criticism of their product.

When I recently got my new to me 2010 TDI sportwagen, I filled it with 10w30 CJ-4 synthetic. I'm done with 507 and Liqui Moly.

Here are my UOAs since new. LM products (502 oils) since the first change from the factory Castrol (likely was a 0W30). They look great to me in terms of TBN and viscosity. Keep in mind, my car has been driven hard over some of these changes, well in excess of 100mph for sustained periods, drag raced, and generally beaten on. Some of the intervals were speed limit highway cruising. Also included the 2 VOAs I've done - one for the Molygen 5W40 and one for the Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40. One includes Ceratec (second most recent), and one includes MoS2 (most recent). Longest interval was 9K and had plenty of TBN to go well north of 10K but at some point, fuel dilution and drop in viscosity gets you - I've settled on 7.5K as a nice interval unless I'm beating on it (as I have since COVID b/c empty highways) so I've shortened the interval to ~5K.

35K UOA pre flush.jpg

oil_TBN_viscosity.JPG

LM MOLYGEN 5W40-200503 virgin analysis clean.jpg

LM LLHT 5W40-191225 virgin analysis.jpg

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

I was a longtime user of the LM Top Tec 4200. I even bought a 20L jug one time. Used it in a 2009 Jetta TDI for the majority of my ownership until VW bought it back in 2018.

I ran a couple UOAs on TT 4200 after I had been using it awhile. They were not good, pretty bad. That and the TBN was < 1.0 after 10k miles. Another UOA at 7500 showed the TBN at 2.0 which is when the oil was done and needed to be changed. The value of wear metal numbers is debatable however TBN depletion is not. I've seen the Mobil 1 esp product make it to 10k miles on other UOAs and have an acceptable TBN and seems to be a better product if one were to stick with the 507 spec.

I posted a negative review of TT 4200 on the vendors website where I bought it from based on the information above ^^^. I got immediately flamed by rabid LM fanboys. These other users attacked my review saying my car had underlying issues, didn't sample correctly, etc... which is BS. I can only speculate that LM product pages are "managed" by a group or agency that protects their image and uses profiles to respond to any negative criticism of their product.

When I recently got my new to me 2010 TDI sportwagen, I filled it with 10w30 CJ-4 synthetic. I'm done with 507 and Liqui Moly.

That's their 504/507 oil. No clue on the diesel side of things. I know the 504 oils have a lower starting TBN and are "low saps" for extended drain intervals on lower sulfur fuels.

Diesel/Gas is irrelevant. My comment was based on being a longtime user of their product, it's actual performance and how negative feedback from its fanboys was received in what I believed to be on a professionally managed company image.

If you're paying a premium for a product made in Germany, I would want some exotic base oils as part of the formula. If not, then any domestic oil should offer similar characteristics and higher performance at a much better price. That's my experience with LM TT 4200 vs. M1 ESP. You could try Mobil 1 FS 0w40 next time and probably get equal or better performance without the zombie green gimmicky colors.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

That's their 504/507 oil. No clue on the diesel side of things. I know the 504 oils have a lower starting TBN and are "low saps" for extended drain intervals on lower sulfur fuels.

if u use good oil whats the point of using the created or mos2?
plus I read somewhere they cloge the injectors,dont know if it's true tho,I usually use a quality oil and stay away from oil additives somthing about them dosen't feel right to me.

I mean, I get it it. I like boutique stuff too, sometimes it's nice to use something different than the norm. When I used 502 I liked to use Total or Fuchs instead of the usual Edge or M1 as well. As long as you realize your decision is mainly based on emotion and just wanting to be different that's cool because I do it too. But the engine doesn't care.

boutique is redline,amsoil ex,total ex are not really and definitely not better than castrol,its pretty much on the same level as far as I know.

Originally Posted by avi1777
if u use good oil whats the point of using the created or mos2?
plus I read somewhere they cloge the injectors,dont know if it's true tho,I usually use a quality oil and stay away from oil additives somthing about them dosen't feel right to me.

They certainly don't hurt anything. How in the heck can they clog injectors? Good lord.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I mean, I get it it. I like boutique stuff too, sometimes it's nice to use something different than the norm. When I used 502 I liked to use Total or Fuchs instead of the usual Edge or M1 as well. As long as you realize your decision is mainly based on emotion and just wanting to be different that's cool because I do it too. But the engine doesn't care.

Sure, isn't that how we all make most of our decisions w/r to this kind of thing? The thing is, within the VW community, LM is probably is one of most popular oils, not one that is "different". I agree - my engine would be happy on Wallyworld discount/rebate M1 0W40. But again, this stuff is green and I mean, that has to have some value..hahahaha

boutique is redline,amsoil ex,total ex are not really and definitely not better than castrol,its pretty much on the same level as far as I know.

In North America it is boutique. Much harder to get and more expensive.

Sure, isn't that how we all make most of our decisions w/r to this kind of thing? The thing is, within the VW community, LM is probably is one of most popular oils, not one that is "different". I agree - my engine would be happy on Wallyworld discount/rebate M1 0W40. But again, this stuff is green and I mean, that has to have some value..hahahaha

I've owned nothing but VWs since 2007 and currently have an RS3, I am pretty well versed in the community.

They way stuff works online is a product develops a following, usually based on marketing, five years later everyone starts to gravitate towards the next new thing.

Did you know that LiquiMoly used to be called LubroMoly and the name change coincided with a huge marketing push?

I'm not saying it's bad product, it's just the darling of the day in the VW community.

In North America it is boutique. Much harder to get and more expensive.

Agreed...not that common on the whole.

I've owned nothing but VWs since 2007 and currently have an RS3, I am pretty well versed in the community.

They way stuff works online is a product develops a following, usually based on marketing, five years later everyone starts to gravitate towards the next new thing.

Did you know that LiquiMoly used to be called LubroMoly and the name change coincided with a huge marketing push?

I'm not saying it's bad product, it's just the darling of the day in the VW community.

For sure heavily marketing-driven on the forums and FB groups. I've seen folks comment not to use M1 and Castrol 0W40 for 502s vs. LM because it's "inferior"...marketing has defiantlely worked for the uneducated masses. Is your RS3 modded? Those cars can be beasts.

For sure heavily marketing-driven on the forums and FB groups. I've seen folks comment not to use M1 and Castrol 0W40 for 502s vs. LM because it's "inferior"...marketing has defiantlely worked for the uneducated masses. Is your RS3 modded? Those cars can be beasts.

The potential of the car is pretty huge. Mine is still stock, I've had it since March of 2018. I'm really enjoying driving something quite hard and not having to worry about it, if something breaks, off to the dealer it goes. I plan to have it at least a decade and we'll see if I keep it stock or not. It's already fast enough to get in trouble quickly on the street as it is. Plus I believe these cars will really be desirable in stock form down the line because so many guys are rat bagging them.

What's funny to me at least w/r to LM marketing topic is....and M1 and Castrol aren't heavily marketed? I mean there are TV commercials for them...LM is nowhere near that level. Folks don't like that it's more money...that's really the crux of it.

What's funny to me at least w/r to LM marketing topic is....and M1 and Castrol aren't heavily marketed? I mean there are TV commercials for them...LM is nowhere near that level. Folks don't like that it's more money...that's really the crux of it.

Watch an auto race, like LeMans or DTM or something. LM is plastered everywhere.

Advertising isn't really obvious either. There is a reason so many euro online shops push LM, because they are getting it cheaper, or kickbacks, special treatment, things like that. Castrol isn't going to give FCP jack isht since Walmart sells a billion times as much.

Watch an auto race, like LeMans or DTM or something. LM is plastered everywhere.

Advertising isn't really obvious either. There is a reason so many euro online shops push LM, because they are getting it cheaper, or kickbacks, special treatment, things like that. Castrol isn't going to give FCP jack isht since Walmart sells a billion times as much.

True true. Beyond folks thoughts etc. about how LM markets their products vs. the big companies and where they are sold, again, it's decent oil and well regarded is my take in the motorsports world and Europe. I think the "controversy" seems to come from price (at least that's my opinion) - I pay about $65 delivered for an oil change kit - I can pay about $40 for a M1/Castrol change at Wallyworld. So is it worth $25? Probably not, but I like it and if $25 3-4 time a year is too much money to spend on a car I spend a lot more on, I have bigger issues.

I can understand the allure of buying a "kit". LM has done a great job of creating products for just about every need imaginable.

Fortunately or unfortunately I've only driven my vehicle about 100 miles since the beginning of the "Great Unpleasantness". In any case I'm on a yearly oil change due to the low miles (~7k/yr) and I pay the dealer a $100 for a change.

Back