Liqui Moly Leichlauf vs Synthoil 0W40 vs Molygen (also vs Castrol, Mobil, Fuchs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by dbias
I'd go with Castrol edge 0w-40 or if you want to spend liqui moly type money then go with Ravenol RUP 5w-40, very nice numbers on it for your spirited driving

No Canadian distributor
frown.gif

You should be able to order it through Blauparts. They currently provide it to Amazon USA.

Yes but it's three times pricing of something else more readily available.

Originally Posted by faraway
True! RP looks nice but it would be great if they'd go extra mile and got the approvals.

Every YouTube video that I have seen done with Royal Purple in cold testing it fails miserably compared to every brand . It literally turns into purple molasses . It's just a gimmick in my opinion .

Isn't 0W40 recommended for your car per the owners manual? I use Belgian Castrol Edge (I guess its the Euro Formula) in my wife's VW New Beetle and it works great. I bought the car used and it was very poorly maintained, I found several bottles of 15w50 dino oil in the trunk, which is way out of spec. The engine was moderately sludged and I've dropped the pan and been changing the oil every 1000KM as well as running liquid moly engine flush every oil change. So far Oil consumption the the Castrol 0W40 is nil and the engine is way cleaner now. I believe that Castrol 0W40 is the factory fill, at least in the US/Canada. Sorry if I thread jacked, didn't mean too.

Last edited:
Grade is largely irrelevant with a VW specification, the approval is what matters.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1
Isn't 0W40 recommended for your car per the owners manual? I use Belgian Castrol Edge (I guess its the Euro Formula) in my wife's VW New Beetle and it works great. I bought the car used and it was very poorly maintained, I found several bottles of 15w50 dino oil in the trunk, which is way out of spec. The engine was moderately sludged and I've dropped the pan and been changing the oil every 1000KM as well as running liquid moly engine flush every oil change. So far Oil consumption the the Castrol 0W40 is nil and the engine is way cleaner now. I believe that Castrol 0W40 is the factory fill, at least in the US/Canada, here in Mexico I have no clue.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Every YouTube video that I have seen done with Royal Purple in cold testing it fails miserably compared to every brand . It literally turns into purple molasses . It's just a gimmick in my opinion .

Every one of those YouTube videos is worthless. SAE J300 tests the cold cranking and pumpability performance of motor oils and the result is printed on every container. Royal Purple is not lying about the J300 results of their products.

The gimmick is not the oil, the gimmick is the YouTube "test".

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Kjmack

Every one of those YouTube videos is worthless. SAE J300 tests the cold cranking and pumpability performance of motor oils and the result is printed on every container. Royal Purple is not lying about the J300 results of their products.

Well it may be very unscientific but all the other oil pour fine and Royal purple does not . Maybe the Mobil , Castrol , Valvoline, Pennzoil exceed the J300 test and purple barely meets it .

Purely anecdotally based on google and youtube, it seems that lower/older specifications like VW 502 are better that the new ones like 507 since the new ones geared more toward meeting eco requirements. There is a YouTube video on ECS Tuning with LM rep that talks about that. Thus, newest low-SAPS oil, especially the ones that state "designed for particle filters" may not be as good from performance standpoint.
Also, I've seen mentions that a "premium" 5W40 might be better than entry-level 0W40.
Again, this just what I've come across different forums and I am far from oil industry/chemistry profession-wise.

If they exceed the test then they would be labeled for the performance they achieve.

No dood on the Internet has some slick home test that somehow gives a better representation of cold weather performance.

Grade is largely irrelevant with a VW specification, the approval is what matters.

Isn't 0W40 recommended for your car per the owners manual? I use Belgian Castrol Edge (I guess its the Euro Formula) in my wife's VW New Beetle and it works great. I bought the car used and it was very poorly maintained, I found several bottles of 15w50 dino oil in the trunk, which is way out of spec. The engine was moderately sludged and I've dropped the pan and been changing the oil every 1000KM as well as running liquid moly engine flush every oil change. So far Oil consumption the the Castrol 0W40 is nil and the engine is way cleaner now. I believe that Castrol 0W40 is the factory fill, at least in the US/Canada, here in Mexico I have no clue.

Castrol European Formula 0W40 carries the VW 502, 505, BMW Longlife-01, MB 229.3, 229.5 and Porche A40 approvals and licensed specifications.

Purely anecdotally based on google and youtube, it seems that lower/older specifications like VW 502 are better that the new ones like 507 since the new ones geared more toward meeting eco requirements. There is a YouTube video on ECS Tuning with LM rep that talks about that. Thus, newest low-SAPS oil, especially the ones that state "designed for particle filters" may not be as good from performance standpoint.
Also, I've seen mentions that a "premium" 5W40 might be better than entry-level 0W40.
Again, this just what I've come across different forums and I am far from oil industry/chemistry profession-wise.

I know the video you're talking about, it's old information.

What he basically said was North America does not get the advantage of the 504/507 oils because of the sulfur content of the fuel here, and that there is no advantage to using 504 spec. That information is no longer in date, we have low sulfur fuels (in most cases) as of Jan. 2017. 504 spec is extremely stringent and is much harder to meet than 502 spec, especially for wear. It is also rated for double the oil change interval as 502 when used in ultra low sulfur fuel environment.

Now with that said if a person does not plan on going more than about 7-8k (miles) on an oil change interval, 504 isn't really needed.

Last edited:
Castrol European Formula 0W40 carries the VW 502, 505, BMW Longlife-01, MB 229.3, 229.5 and Porsche A40 approvals and licensed specifications.

Yes it does, and it's a great oil. I use it in my old BMW and my old Sienna.

My point was that there are other grades (such as 0W-30 and 5W-40 and maybe a 5W-30) that also have the same approvals. It isn't because of the grade since all those approvals specificity a minimum HTHS. The approvals are what matter as you have pointed out, not the specific grade it may happen to be.

Aah. I see. Yes, I do not see much VW 504 around. Even LM's Longtime High Tech doesn't have it.

Aah. I see. Yes, I do not see much VW 504 around. Even LM's Longtime High Tech doesn't have it.

The 4200 one has it. Lots have 502.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by dbias
I'd go with Castrol edge 0w-40 or if you want to spend liqui moly type money then go with Ravenol RUP 5w-40, very nice numbers on it for your spirited driving

No Canadian distributor
frown.gif

You should be able to order it through Blauparts. They currently provide it to Amazon USA.

Where there is a will there's a way lol

504 are very good oils. Way better ratings than 502, although the best "502" usually meet better specs like Porsche 40

If they exceed the test then they would be labeled for the performance they achieve.

No dood on the Internet has some slick home test that somehow gives a better representation of cold weather performance.

Ok your right
Lol , the test on YouTube was a majic show to make purple look bad . Don't get all worked up about it

TopTec 4200 is an interesting option to pick in case of good discount then. Also, Castrol Edge 5W40 has Porshe A40 approval. I saw it for 82-84$ for 15L for Christmas deals at Costco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back