Liqui Moly Leichlauf vs Synthoil 0W40 vs Molygen (also vs Castrol, Mobil, Fuchs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Well it may be very unscientific but all the other oil pour fine and Royal purple does not . Maybe the Mobil , Castrol , Valvoline, Pennzoil exceed the J300 test and purple barely meets it .

Most A3/B4 type oils, including Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, and Pennzoil, barely pass MRV for their grade. The ones that really pole vault over it are ILSAC certified lubes. Compare any 5w-30 ILSAC versus a 5w-30 A3/B4, or a 5w-40 HDEO versus a 5w-30 ILSAC, all which are "5w-" variants.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Well it may be very unscientific but all the other oil pour fine and Royal purple does not . Maybe the Mobil , Castrol , Valvoline, Pennzoil exceed the J300 test and purple barely meets it .

Most A3/B4 type oils, including Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, and Pennzoil, barely pass MRV for their grade. The ones that really pole vault over it are ILSAC certified lubes. Compare any 5w-30 ILSAC versus a 5w-30 A3/B4, or a 5w-40 HDEO versus a 5w-30 ILSAC, all which are "5w-" variants.

It's generally CCS that they barely pass, as the limit on MRV is extremely generous.

I knew it was one of those Overkill, thanks. I didn't have my sheets handy for a quick comparison. Now that I think back, the number that was swimming around in my head for Petro-Canada 5w-30 conventional had to have been a CCS number.

I knew it was one of those Overkill, thanks. I didn't have my sheets handy for a quick comparison. Now that I think back, the number that was swimming around in my head for Petro-Canada 5w-30 conventional had to have been a CCS number.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by faraway
TopTec 4200 is an interesting option to pick in case of good discount then. Also, Castrol Edge 5W40 has Porshe A40 approval. I saw it for 82-84$ for 15L for Christmas deals at Costco.

FWIW, I'll have a UOA result back within a week of the TopTec 4200. It was a 5K OCI on my 2.0TFSI

A LM 5W40 oil change kit is like $60 with the filter and drain plug...this isn't that expensive for something you do a few times a year..

Looking forward. UOAs posted here on Leichtlauf look pretty good even with Golf R tuned engine.

Looking forward. UOAs posted here on Leichtlauf look pretty good even with Golf R tuned engine.

I have 6 quarts of each in my stash, set aside for our 2018 GOLF R.

(The first 3 have the 504/507 certification with the PP 5W40 getting "only" a 502)

IMG_20190310_185843.jpg

Last edited:
If interested my top tec UOA is posted now. I'm impressed with it. From everything I've read the VW 504.00 spec is pretty tough though so I imagine any oil with that approval is above average.

Originally Posted by Cardiobuck
If interested my top tec UOA is posted now. I'm impressed with it. From everything I've read the VW 504.00 spec is pretty tough though so I imagine any oil with that approval is above average.

Saw your UOA. Really good looking.

Originally Posted by Cardiobuck

Thanks for sharing. Yes, it seems Top Tec 4200 and VW 504 are good options then.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

(The first 3 have the 504/507 certification with the PP 5W40 getting "only" a 502)

There is an upcoming sale at CT (once again). Apparently, it will have Castrol 0W40 and 5W50 on sale as well for 33CAD something. I am just a tiny bit suspicious to see the whole range of Castrols for the same price when 5W50 should be supposedly top-notch and usually averages $80-100. Although, Edge 5W50 does not have any approvals at all - zero zilch nada nil.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge

There is an upcoming sale at CT (once again).

I wish CT carried PP Platinum EURO 0W40
confused2.gif

If you're close to a Blue Wave, they would be able to help you.

You are a mind reader as I emailed them a couple of days ago.

(I first purchased PP EURO LX 0W30 through BW when it wasnt available elsewhere).

(It does appear that the 0W40 is availble through Napa Canada).

Last edited:
Nah, I just know that they're the official distributor for most of the nation.
wink.gif
NAPA is another good resource; one just has to watch their specials, the same as CT or WM. Blue Wave usually has a reasonable price all the time. You just have to buy in a bit of quantity.

NAPA is another good resource; one just has to watch their specials, the same as CT or WM.

I didnt know this. Does Napa send out a sales flyer as a weekly email?

Blue Wave usually has a reasonable price all the time. You just have to buy in a bit of quantity.

(So far I have only purchased a case a time and the price has been good ie better than at the least regular priced CT offerings)

I am still surprised that this 0W40 is not to be found at CT/ Part Source or WM.

This PP EURO 0W40 is a well regarded oil is it not?

I get an email note from NAPA each month, and just look at the PDF online. There are two specials you have to watch for. One special is the monthly flyer, right on their website under deals. Note that it's supposed to be monthly, but I have seen some months skipped, or months having bizarre lengths.
wink.gif
The monthly promotions usually have the best deals. Under the pull down menu, also watch what they call the "Real Deals Catalogue." Those specials last something like 3 or 4 months, and are usually less deep a discount as the monthly ones, but sometimes pretty darned close. That catalogue is a lot bigger, so more to look through, and some of those specials will include larger quantities of oil, included EcoBoxes. With either type of special (or regular priced items, for that matter) you can get items set aside for you or ordered in for you online. I see that Formula Shell is on special there right now, and last time it was, I had some set aside for me online for my god daughter. That was the time they went into the back to get it for me and I noticed their NAPA Gold filter special.

The PP Euro 0w-40 is well regarded, but I suppose the 5w-40 might get more attention because I believe that's the one with the LL-01 on it. I'm surprised, too, that CT doesn't carry the 0w-40. I thought they did before, but I may very well be mistaken. I certainly cannot find it on their site now. With respect to WM Canada, I'm not surprised. As it was, last time I checked their oil aisle, it would have been hard enough to find enough M1 0w-40 for a top up, let alone an oil change. The ones here used to have sufficient M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30, but the automotive section seems to have taken hit after hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back