Liqui Moly Full Syn Review

Messages
223
Location
Iowa City
For users of Liqui Moly, I am interested in getting your input on the product. I saw YT video posted by Bill Trammell on MACTFOREDGE and MACTGARAGE giving his analysis of the product based on spec sheet, SDS and VOA, and comparing to a Wal-Mart Supertech product. He immediately calls it a scam because the products does not contain Moly, and says it is marketing deception. He then uses a bogus SDS, it was the UK/EU document for the wrong product and API grade, and points to possible mixture of oils claiming this is the full base oil formulation. He does not use the correct OSHA SDS, even though he is certified OSHA trainer and auditor. One look at the SDS, it clearly shows this petroleum description makes up less than 10% of the product, but he does not show his viewers that, and ignores the severely hydrotreated oil making up 60-80%. He used the spec sheet, latest and greatest from the company, not the spec sheet of the actual oil (SN only) he used and tested. He claims the TBN is wrong and the company is misrepresenting their product. The test is from Blackstone, and the D4739 test typically reports lower values on average. He claims at the end of the video is only good for 3-5k miles, despite what the manufacture reports, and said it is a Group 1 oil and unknown amount of Group II. He had not completed any actual real world testing or UOA, and compares it to another VOA. When I offered him the correct SDS and spec sheet he refused, and said he does not have time or money to verify the information. He openly challenges Liqui Moly to contact him, but he is unwilling to give out his contact info. He collect ad revenue from YT but he blocks commenting on his videos because there are too many crazy's out there, and the only commenting is through private FB group. If interested, join the group and ask questions and see what kind of response you get. Below is the link Liqui Moly vs Supertech 5W20 is there a deception[/url]https://youtu.be/MCBJ-FnKxN4
 
Messages
5,761
Location
New England
I started watching one of that guy's videos and made it about 2 minutes in, it was just him droning on and his info seemed pretty suspect. I would not assume that a Liqui Moly oil must contain moly, just like I don't assume Royal Purple contains aristocratic blood. It's just a company name...although I would guess most, if not all, of their oils do contain moly! I also hope their fuel injector cleaner does not contain moly!
 

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Messages
45,317
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I started watching one of that guy's videos and made it about 2 minutes in, it was just him droning on and his info seemed pretty suspect. I would not assume that a Liqui Moly oil must contain moly, just like I don't assume Royal Purple contains aristocratic blood. It's just a company name...although I would guess most, if not all, of their oils do contain moly! I also hope their fuel injector cleaner does not contain moly!
Some of the LM oils contain zero moly, FWIW.
 
Messages
998
Location
UK
In other news, Shell oils don't contain shells and there's no platinum in Pennzoil Platinum - the composition of Fuchs products remains a mystery.
 
Messages
1,506
Location
TX
Originally Posted by weasley
In other news, Shell oils don't contain shells and there's no platinum in Pennzoil Platinum - the composition of Fuchs products remains a mystery.
best comment of the day, i'm crying also, we almost know for sure that amsoil has oil in it banana
 
Last edited:
Messages
16,546
Location
Upper Midwest
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
For users of Liqui Moly, I am interested in getting your input on the product. I saw YT video posted by Bill Trammell on MACTFOREDGE and MACTGARAGE giving his analysis of the product based on spec sheet, SDS and VOA, and comparing to a Wal-Mart Supertech product.
Do you see the problem here?
 

pbm

Messages
8,833
Location
New York
Originally Posted by weasley
In other news, Shell oils don't contain shells and there's no platinum in Pennzoil Platinum - the composition of Fuchs products remains a mystery.
I found your post very funny...but...a company that has 'Moly' in it's name would imply to me that there is moly in their oil....and there isn't in some of them....I think it's a bit deceptive....
 

Talent_Keyhole

Thread starter
Messages
223
Location
Iowa City
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by weasley
In other news, Shell oils don't contain shells and there's no platinum in Pennzoil Platinum - the composition of Fuchs products remains a mystery.
I found your post very funny...but...a company that has 'Moly' in it's name would imply to me that there is moly in their oil....and there isn't in some of them....I think it's a bit deceptive....
The company started 70 years ago by producing an oil additive based on Molybdenum. Should they change their name or spin off a subsidiary because some products do not contain the ingredient. One of the oils they do have that contains Moly is called MolyGen. I guess Quaker State should change their name if it is no longer produced by Quakers in Pennsylvannia.
 
Messages
524
Location
Lead, South Dakota
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
For users of Liqui Moly, I am interested in getting your input on the product. I saw YT video posted by Bill Trammell on MACTFOREDGE and MACTGARAGE giving his analysis of the product based on spec sheet, SDS and VOA, and comparing to a Wal-Mart Supertech product. He immediately calls it a scam because the products does not contain Moly, and says it is marketing deception. He then uses a bogus SDS, it was the UK/EU document for the wrong product and API grade, and points to possible mixture of oils claiming this is the full base oil formulation. He does not use the correct OSHA SDS, even though he is certified OSHA trainer and auditor. One look at the SDS, it clearly shows this petroleum description makes up less than 10% of the product, but he does not show his viewers that, and ignores the severely hydrotreated oil making up 60-80%. He used the spec sheet, latest and greatest from the company, not the spec sheet of the actual oil (SN only) he used and tested. He claims the TBN is wrong and the company is misrepresenting their product. The test is from Blackstone, and the D4739 test typically reports lower values on average. He claims at the end of the video is only good for 3-5k miles, despite what the manufacture reports, and said it is a Group 1 oil and unknown amount of Group II. He had not completed any actual real world testing or UOA, and compares it to another VOA. When I offered him the correct SDS and spec sheet he refused, and said he does not have time or money to verify the information. He openly challenges Liqui Moly to contact him, but he is unwilling to give out his contact info. He collect ad revenue from YT but he blocks commenting on his videos because there are too many crazy's out there, and the only commenting is through private FB group. If interested, join the group and ask questions and see what kind of response you get. Below is the link Liqui Moly vs Supertech 5W20 is there a deception[/url]https://youtu.be/MCBJ-FnKxN4
Sounds like the guy is totally full of it. However, that said, I don't see how LM is worth the premium, it's not magical. Other oils of the same spec will do the same things for less. LM banks a lot of money on that Hergestellt in Deutschland cachet.
 
Messages
4,672
Location
MN
LiquiMoly (LM) has a lot of certfied approved oils. I'd expect them to be comparable to anything else with similar specs. We do wonder about Quality Control at various companies, yet its almost impossible to really track that ourselves. For example, Ravenol has been maligned by the Russion Oil Club for some sort of quality issues, and they were caught on BITOG here puting dexos1 Gen1 in a dexos1 Gen2 jug. Once somebody catches LM doing something wrong, we would have reason to avoid them. They do tend to be expensive here in the U.S compared to the "Gold Standard of Cheapness", walmart Castrol or M1 euro oils, and others there, like the bargain SuperTech (Warren blended) oil. .... As for whether they have moly in them or not, moly is a friction modifier (FM), and there are other FMs that don't even show up on a VOA or UOA. Also, there is tungsten, which their MolyGen has in addition to moly.
 
Last edited:
Messages
11,662
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
LiquiMoly (LM) has a lot of certfied approved oils. I'd expect them to be comparable to anything else with similar specs. We do wonder about Quality Control at various companies, yet its almost impossible to really track that ourselves. For example, Ravenol has been maligned by the Russion Oil Club for some sort of quality issues, and they were caught on BITOG here puting dexos1 Gen1 in a dexos1 Gen2 jug. Once somebody catches LM doing something wrong, we would have reason to avoid them. They do tend to be expensive here in the U.S compared to the "Gold Standard of Cheapness", walmart Castrol or M1 euro oils, and others there, like the bargain SuperTech (Warren blended) oil. .... As for whether they have moly in them or not, moly is a friction modifier (FM), and there are other FMs that don't even show up on a VOA or UOA. Also, there is tungsten, which their MolyGen has in addition to moly.
Some 17-18 years ago, before I came to US Liqui Moly was doing very aggressive marketing across Europe. So I bought several times. It was amazing how fast that oil was finding its way out of oil pan to "outside." I would not touch LM with 10 foot pole. They do invest a lot in marketing though, if that is most important to buyer.
 
Messages
4,672
Location
MN
Maybe the safest oil to buy for quality control is to buy the manufacturer's labelled oil, like BMW TwinPower. You know Shell, who makes it for BMW, wouldn't dare put junk in the bottle due to random monitoring by BMW. Also, another example of the pressure on makers to keep consistent quality up, is that Exxon-Mobil knows the other major competitors are sampling and analyzing what they are doing and will pounce if they see an issue. Maybe someone else has better insight on how pressure is applied to keep them honest. Something more than just PQIA policing everybody might be in place due to industry certifications.
 

Talent_Keyhole

Thread starter
Messages
223
Location
Iowa City
He is full of it, refuses to look at the correct spec sheets, and SDS, and acts like he is some expert on oi formulation. When I question his analysis he gets mad, tells me to make my own videos, and spend my own money, and then blocks me from posting on the FB group. I did much of the same thing with oil testing in my mortorcycle, auto-crosser and and daily driver 25 years ago. He go a lot views on YT after doing a series of Amsoil, and so now he is doing all kinds of YT oil comparisons. Seems a bit greedy, and likes to baffle the unsuspecting viewers with you know what.
 
Messages
524
Location
Lead, South Dakota
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
LiquiMoly (LM) has a lot of certfied approved oils. I'd expect them to be comparable to anything else with similar specs. We do wonder about Quality Control at various companies, yet its almost impossible to really track that ourselves. For example, Ravenol has been maligned by the Russion Oil Club for some sort of quality issues, and they were caught on BITOG here puting dexos1 Gen1 in a dexos1 Gen2 jug. Once somebody catches LM doing something wrong, we would have reason to avoid them. They do tend to be expensive here in the U.S compared to the "Gold Standard of Cheapness", walmart Castrol or M1 euro oils, and others there, like the bargain SuperTech (Warren blended) oil. .... As for whether they have moly in them or not, moly is a friction modifier (FM), and there are other FMs that don't even show up on a VOA or UOA. Also, there is tungsten, which their MolyGen has in addition to moly.
Well, I wouldn't say LM is bad by any means, it's just why pay more when there are plenty of other oils certified to be fine by the manufacturer that sell for less? FWIW, I also find their marketing a bit confusing. They have too many product lines and it's easy to get their codes mixed up, both on the consumer and retailer end. It's still not as bad as Idemitsu, but confusing none the less. When it comes to QC, if anything I'd expect gargantuan companies like Shell, BP and Exxon to have more refined production and QC methods than the smaller manufacturers. They can afford to, and the stakes they're dealing with mean they can't afford not to.
 
Messages
11,662
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Maybe the safest oil to buy for quality control is to buy the manufacturer's labelled oil, like BMW TwinPower. You know Shell, who makes it for BMW, wouldn't dare put junk in the bottle due to random monitoring by BMW. Also, another example of the pressure on makers to keep consistent quality up, is that Exxon-Mobil knows the other major competitors are sampling and analyzing what they are doing and will pounce if they see an issue. Maybe someone else has better insight on how pressure is applied to keep them honest. Something more than just PQIA policing everybody might be in place due to industry certifications.
Liqui Moly was company that pushed hardest Group III or HC oils. When HC oils were introduced, one could not stumble on Liqui Moly without having huge HC letters trying to advertise it as better product. Although Castrol is the one that actually went that route, Liqui Moly went from full synthetic oils to HC in matter of a year. They were the fastest to jump on that. As for competition, of course. When I was involved in testing oil product that was about to be approved for VW504.00/507.00, company sampled everything that was available on that market. People just went out, bought oil i stores and did laboratory testing on it. If company think that other companies are not going to sample their products, they should not be in business, period. Liqui Moly are OK oils, but far from hype that is pushed by several online retailers. It is like Redline: we make such a good oils that they cannot be approved.
 
Top