Limited participation for now

No, I'm having trouble keeping it down.

Yes, I have two blood pressure machines, an Omron and a BIOS, been using the Omron. It's been trending down the last few days after we quadrupled the amount of Perindopril I'm on, it was 117/80 last night for example, which is good, we are trying to keep it around 120. I had hit 130/81 when I first got home, which is too high (but won't cause any issues, we are just trying to keep the average pressure low while the graft heals and the valve adapts to its new location). I'm also on two separate beta blockers.

I do not have an oxygen pulse oximiter, but when I was at my GP's office the other day my oxygen level was at 99, and it was good in the hospital too (my procedure was the end of November) and hasn't appeared to be an issue.

Somewhat amusingly, the RPN that I was dealing with at the hospital was somewhat freaked out by the volume of beta blockers and other meds I was on and hesitant to adjust up further. But was eventually willing to increase the dose (Cardiologist's orders) because I had a pace maker (It never kicked on when it was attached, ever) as she indicated that the levels I was taking would have killed most of the patients.

This brings us back to the issue I was having and why my blood pressure is now up, which is a very different issue from your step father I suspect.

I'm quite active, used to be a competitive swimmer and having a bicuspid aortic valve, it has always leaked. As I've aged, the leaking has gotten worse and my heart has been working harder in order to compensate for the regurgitation/back-flow. Basically, every time it pumped, a good portion of that blood was coming right back in, so it had to pump harder.

So, we fix the valve and my heart is still conditioned to the previous situation, it thinks it has to work hard still, which, with a non-leaky valve now drives my blood pressure up considerably! So, we are having to drag it down with meds for the time being until it readjusts. It will eventually do so, and then we can taper off the meds. At the end of all of this, I should only have to be on some baby aspirin, though I suspect my cardiologist might keep me on a small dose of bisoprolol (which I've been on for years, 2.5mg).

What you state here in your circumstance makes perfect sense. Absolutely.

I'm very, very glad you have a Omron blood pressure machine. They are very, very good to read.

I was just saying that low bp could something to keep an eye out for in the coming time frame ahead.

My step father had a valve replacement too...

Difference was he had a added procedure that cut scar marks into his heart that was attempting to stop an escape rhythm too. That may have been done to keep him from having what you are going through....

There's the electrical side of heart function, chemistry side of heart function, and physical side of heart function.

My step father was in rather good shape and had always been so.

I was not there for his first week out of the hospital. I do know exactly what meds he was administered while in Cleveland Clinic. .

Low blood pressure episodes... That caused him trouble at times. And I'm talking about over a six weeks and later it became a real issue from that time frame going forward after that... And it was a issue for a while there.

Once my step father started being active a bit again and then started cardiac rehab that's when he really struggled with low blood pressure issues.

That's what I was talking about. NOT about your current circumstance...

But when you start to become more physically active again and may do a cardiac rehab program.

That's what I was thinking about.

Of course your circumstance is vastly different right now. For several different reasons.

Tapering the medication is of course what they are going to do. And it's a necessity. It sounds like the people involved in your care are doing a very, very good job.

Everyone is different and circumstances can be different.

Never a doubt about that. .

I have taken care of enough patients that I have a understanding everyone has different physiological circumstances and responses.

I have given IV push cardiac medications....

With great caution.

I know my step father is still on baby aspirin and warfarin...

I also have wondered if he has had very, very minor mini cvas over the last 10 years.

My whole point in my response to you was making sure you had what you need to truly monitor your condition. Why ? Well A) because I actually care... And B) you would be surprised how many people don't think about doing or having certain items that would greatly help them. While I know you are extremely intelligent and are exceptionally articulate.. . I just wanted to make sure you had what you need to be ok. That matters to me.

And to just relay what I have seen first hand from my own step father's experience. Aka 6-10 weeks after his surgery and then continued problems with that for awhile even after that.

I have no doubt you will be good to go and have a very good recovery going forward.

Last edited:
I am sorry if in the first post I seemed either authoritarian or condescending... Certainly not my thoughts or intention at all. Far, far, far from it.

Overkill you are one of the most intelligent, articulate and insightful people on here. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your obvious gifts that you have. When I think k I am at least somewhat articulate and then I read one of your posts... Then I'm think ... Yeah Bradley... You are still a idiot compared to Overkill. :LOL:

I also worked with a cardiac rehab team at the gym I worked at while I was in school. These patients all had their surgery performed 2-3 months prior to coming into the cardiac rehab program.

I'd say about 75 percent of the time if someone was having a issue while on a treadmill.... It was hypotension in nature. If I had a dollar for every time I heard .. "drink your water... Or hydrate". I would have had a fair amount of money.

Yeah my step father heard that a lot too while in cardiac rehab.

My step father has done quite well since July 2009. Certainly no huge, huge issues. Just some difficult time after his surgery and trying to get back to normal after it. Which was not unusual at all for many people.

Last edited:
Wow, was wondering where you were lately ... thought you got a vacation or something, lol. But seriously, glad to hear you're on the mend and wishing you a Merry Christmas, and a quick and complete recovery.

Last edited:
What you state here in your circumstance makes perfect sense. Absolutely.

I'm very, very glad you have a Omron blood pressure machine. They are very, very good to read.

I was just saying that low bp could something to keep an eye out for in the coming time frame ahead.

My step father had a valve replacement too...

Difference was he had a added procedure that cut scar marks into his heart that was attempting to stop an escape rhythm too. That may have been done to keep him from having what you are going through....

There's the electrical side of heart function, chemistry side of heart function, and physical side of heart function.

My step father was in rather good shape and had always been so.

I was not there for his first week out of the hospital. I do know exactly what meds he was administered while in Cleveland Clinic. .

Low blood pressure episodes... That caused him trouble at times. And I'm talking about over a six weeks and later it became a real issue from that time frame going forward after that... And it was a issue for a while there.

Once my step father started being active a bit again and then started cardiac rehab that's when he really struggled with low blood pressure issues.

That's what I was talking about. NOT about your current circumstance...

But when you start to become more physically active again and may do a cardiac rehab program.

That's what I was thinking about.

Of course your circumstance is vastly different right now. For several different reasons.

Tapering the medication is of course what they are going to do. And it's a necessity. It sounds like the people involved in your care are doing a very, very good job.

Everyone is different and circumstances can be different.

Never a doubt about that. .

I have taken care of enough patients that I have a understanding everyone has different physiological circumstances and responses.

I have given IV push cardiac medications....

With great caution.

I know my step father is still on baby aspirin and warfarin...

I also have wondered if he has had very, very minor mini cvas over the last 10 years.

My whole point in my response to you was making sure you had what you need to truly monitor your condition. Why ? Well A) because I actually care... And B) you would be surprised how many people don't think about doing or having certain items that would greatly help them. While I know you are extremely intelligent and are exceptionally articulate.. . I just wanted to make sure you had what you need to be ok. That matters to me.

And to just relay what I have seen first hand from my own step father's experience. Aka 6-10 weeks after his surgery and then continued problems with that for awhile even after that.

I have no doubt you will be good to go and have a very good recovery going forward.
Hey, no problem!

I was just pointing out that my valve was replaced because it has hit the "severe" level of regurgitation/leakage (due to being bicuspid), which may be different from why he had his valve replaced. When I was in hospital, the guy in the bed beside me had his valve replaced (cow valve) as well, but his wasn't bicuspid, it was likely just worn out (he was 75). I'm thinking those circumstances may have an impact on which direction blood pressure goes after the procedure. My valve has been leaking my entire life, just getting progressively worse.

Interesting that he's (your SF) on warfarin, did he get a synthetic valve? I avoided that intentionally (it was the "worst case scenario") because I didn't want to be on blood thinners. Luckily, the Ross procedure was viable in my case so I was able to avoid that. Or is he on warfarin for other reasons?

Yes, I check my blood pressure regularly during the day and we've had to adjust my meds already and we'll continue to monitor and adjust going forward as things change. I do expect pressure to come down as my heart starts to adapt, at which point we'll be reducing the doses to keep it where it should be.

Hey guys, been off the board for a while, I had open heart surgery (valve replacement) and my blood pressure has to be kept pretty low for the next while, so, while we are working on that, I've been limiting my exposure to social media, forums and anything that might get me too excited.

I was staying with my parents for the first couple of weeks (low stimulation environment) but have come back home now and will likely pop on to see what's going on, but as I noted, my participation level will be low until I've recovered.

Hope everyone is excited for Christmas! My kids are of course pretty fired up!
Hey, glad to hear your doing well and recovering. Take care of yourself! Hope you and your family have a merry Christmas. Your in my thoughts and prayers I’ll will be glad when your 100% again I like seeing you on here.

I am sorry if in the first post I seemed either authoritarian or condescending... Certainly not my thoughts or intention at all. Far, far, far from it.

Overkill you are one of the most intelligent, articulate and insightful people on here. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and your obvious gifts that you have. When I think k I am at least somewhat articulate and then I read one of your posts... Then I'm think ... Yeah Bradley... You are still a idiot compared to Overkill. :LOL:

I also worked with a cardiac rehab team at the gym I worked at while I was in school. These patients all had their surgery performed 2-3 months prior to coming into the cardiac rehab program.

I'd say about 75 percent of the time if someone was having a issue while on a treadmill.... It was hypotension in nature. If I had a dollar for every time I heard .. "drink your water... Or hydrate". I would have had a fair amount of money.

Yeah my step father heard that a lot too while in cardiac rehab.

My step father has done quite well since July 2009. Certainly no huge, huge issues. Just some difficult time after his surgery and trying to get back to normal after it. Which was not unusual at all for many people.
Hey, not at all, I figured I'd just try and be more clear.

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I Hope You (OVERKILL) are settling in as much , back to normal as possible after what you just endured.

Get yourself some real good rest and enjoy being with those special to you in your life.

Just kick back and let everything else take care of itself and you just focus on the most important thing that
matters to you and your family, yourself. Take care man.

I had no idea what you were and are going through but better late than never I suppose. You are a prominent and much valued member here and I myself have gained through your knowledge. I sincerely hope your recovery goes well.

I had no idea what you were and are going through but better late than never I suppose. You are a prominent and much valued member here and I myself have gained through your knowledge. I sincerely hope your recovery goes well.
Thank you! Yes, it's going well! Have a huge scar now, lol, but feeling better every day.

Back