Limited participation for now

If BITOG is bad for ya, definitely avoid those spicy tiktoks and instagram stuff. Not that I'd know anything about that..

Speedy recovery Sir! Hopefully that wonderful Canadian health care took care of you.

So glad you explained it. They can do wonders today with less invasive procedures but if they have to go the old fashioned way, you might as well opt for that one and done.

My wife's boss has aortic valve issue similar to Mick Jagger and is hoping to go with a catheter replacement (TAVR). Curious why that wasn't an option for you. He really doesn't want open heart surgery. Are you younger than 50?

Good luck in your recovery!
You can't do the procedure I had done with a catheter, because you are moving one valve to another location and grafting it in.

Yes, I'm 41.

For people over 60, they typically do the first valve replacement through open heart, but then can replace it a 2nd time with a tabby using a catheter. I believe there are some places that may be doing that first replacement also using a catheter, but I'm not sure as to the durability of doing it that way.

In my case, I wanted the most durable and permanent solution, which is why I opted for the Ross. It's not presented as an option for older people due to the amount of time you are under (I was out for 6 hours) because of it being twice as complicated, and, it's typically unnecessary as usually a pig or cow valve is fine for people getting their aortic valve replaced.

The surgeon that did my procedure actually works (he's the lead cardiac surgeon) at Sick Kids (hospital for Sick Children) where the Ross Procedure is much more common. His specialty is aortic valve repair and the Ross Procedure. He works with the Cardiac centre at Toronto General (where I had my procedure done) as well, providing assistance with both of those procedures if they are being done.

Hey guys, been off the board for a while, I had open heart surgery (valve replacement) and my blood pressure has to be kept pretty low for the next while, so, while we are working on that, I've been limiting my exposure to social media, forums and anything that might get me too excited.

I was staying with my parents for the first couple of weeks (low stimulation environment) but have come back home now and will likely pop on to see what's going on, but as I noted, my participation level will be low until I've recovered.

Hope everyone is excited for Christmas! My kids are of course pretty fired up!
WOW. Thank GOD all is and went well. I hope that you are able to make a kind of easy and peace filled recovery and be around your loved ones thru these Holidays. Will keep you in my daily prayers with the whole list of folks I pray for each morning. Take care of yourself "O."

Hey guys, been off the board for a while, I had open heart surgery (valve replacement) and my blood pressure has to be kept pretty low for the next while, so, while we are working on that, I've been limiting my exposure to social media, forums and anything that might get me too excited.

I was staying with my parents for the first couple of weeks (low stimulation environment) but have come back home now and will likely pop on to see what's going on, but as I noted, my participation level will be low until I've recovered.

Hope everyone is excited for Christmas! My kids are of course pretty fired up!
Merry Christmas to you and family and take care of yourself.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
can you relax and eat anything or do you have to be on a diet for a while?

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
can you relax and eat anything or do you have to be on a diet for a while?

I have to avoid anything that would drive-up my blood pressure (like sugar) and so I'm eating relatively bland things. Also, my hemoglobin is low (normal after cardiac surgery) so I'm having to eat a lot of dark greens (broccoli, spinach) and I'm taking a multi-vitamin with iron.

You can't do the procedure I had done with a catheter, because you are moving one valve to another location and grafting it in.

Yes, I'm 41.

For people over 60, they typically do the first valve replacement through open heart, but then can replace it a 2nd time with a tabby using a catheter. I believe there are some places that may be doing that first replacement also using a catheter, but I'm not sure as to the durability of doing it that way.

In my case, I wanted the most durable and permanent solution, which is why I opted for the Ross. It's not presented as an option for older people due to the amount of time you are under (I was out for 6 hours) because of it being twice as complicated, and, it's typically unnecessary as usually a pig or cow valve is fine for people getting their aortic valve replaced.

The surgeon that did my procedure actually works (he's the lead cardiac surgeon) at Sick Kids (hospital for Sick Children) where the Ross Procedure is much more common. His specialty is aortic valve repair and the Ross Procedure. He works with the Cardiac centre at Toronto General (where I had my procedure done) as well, providing assistance with both of those procedures if they are being done.

You will live to see 100. I'm sure of it. You are likely as healthy as an ox and can give any diseases that want to do you in hell.

You got this, OVERKILL.

@OVERKILL I am sorry that you are going through this. Sometimes I forget that I am not the only one struggling with health issues, yet it feels terrible that someone I consider my friend has to go through such trouble. I am glad that the surgery went well for you. Knowing how active you are here, I was puzzled why I hadn't seen you around in almost a month and wondered if everything was okay. As stated in another thread, I am sorry for our disagreement a few months back. You were right. I was wrong. If I learned anything from you, it's that I shouldn't bring my frustrations to a public forum and vent them by getting into arguments. I hope you get well soon and back to 100%. Take it easy, chill, and when you're here, enjoy our company as much as you can. :) Everyone is here to provide moral support.

I have to avoid anything that would drive-up my blood pressure (like sugar) and so I'm eating relatively bland things. Also, my hemoglobin is low (normal after cardiac surgery) so I'm having to eat a lot of dark greens (broccoli, spinach) and I'm taking a multi-vitamin with iron.

Glad you are hanging in there....

1) Do you have your own blood pressure cuff ??

Like a Omron ??

Which are very good by the way .. .

If not.... Buy one.... Don't wait. You need to know what is going on with your blood pressure.

2) Do you have a oxygen pulse oximeter ? ?

If not.... Get one... This will track your heart rate but also your arterial oxygen level. Definitely good to have that information available too.

Note of caution....

You may actually have more trouble with low blood pressure.... Not high blood pressure.

My step father had open heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. He had atrial fibrillation. He had valve replacement and the maze procedure done too.

After surgery .... The weeks that followed he had much more trouble with low blood pressure. Like 70s and 80s systolic over 40s and 50s diastolic.

Drink your water..... Stay hydrated.

My step father struggled with that and he had spells of lower blood pressure from not drinking enough water.

In fact in his cardiac rehab program my step father was not doing well and had a low blood pressure 72/46 and his heart rate was not good.

They took him in a wheelchair across the street to the hospital ER and he had to be given IV Cardizem to regulate his heart beat, rate and rhythm. And a IV fluid bolus to bump up his blood pressure too.

Last edited:
Glad you are hanging in there....

1) Do you have your own blood pressure cuff ??

Like a Omron ??

Which are very good by the way .. .

If not.... Buy one.... Don't wait. You need to know what is going on with your blood pressure.

2) Do you have a oxygen pulse oximeter ? ?

If not.... Get one... This will track your heart rate but also your arterial oxygen level. Definitely good to have that information available too.

Note of caution....

You may actually have more trouble with low blood pressure.... Not high blood pressure.

My step father had open heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. He had atrial fibrillation. He had valve replacement and the maze procedure done too.

After surgery .... The weeks that followed he had much more trouble with low blood pressure. Like 70s and 80s systolic over 40s and 50s diastolic.

Drink your water..... Stay hydrated.

My step father struggled with that and he had spells of lower blood pressure from not drinking enough water.

In fact in his cardiac rehab program my step father was not doing well and had a low blood pressure 72/46 and his heart rate was not good.

They took him in a wheelchair across the street to the hospital ER and he had to be given IV Cardizem to regulate his heart beat, rate and rhythm. And a IV fluid bolus to bump up his blood pressure too.
No, I'm having trouble keeping it down.

Yes, I have two blood pressure machines, an Omron and a BIOS, been using the Omron. It's been trending down the last few days after we quadrupled the amount of Perindopril I'm on, it was 117/80 last night for example, which is good, we are trying to keep it around 120. I had hit 130/81 when I first got home, which is too high (but won't cause any issues, we are just trying to keep the average pressure low while the graft heals and the valve adapts to its new location). I'm also on two separate beta blockers.

I do not have an oxygen pulse oximiter, but when I was at my GP's office the other day my oxygen level was at 99, and it was good in the hospital too (my procedure was the end of November) and hasn't appeared to be an issue.

Somewhat amusingly, the RPN that I was dealing with at the hospital was somewhat freaked out by the volume of beta blockers and other meds I was on and hesitant to adjust up further. But was eventually willing to increase the dose (Cardiologist's orders) because I had a pace maker (It never kicked on when it was attached, ever) as she indicated that the levels I was taking would have killed most of the patients.

This brings us back to the issue I was having and why my blood pressure is now up, which is a very different issue from your step father I suspect.

I'm quite active, used to be a competitive swimmer and having a bicuspid aortic valve, it has always leaked. As I've aged, the leaking has gotten worse and my heart has been working harder in order to compensate for the regurgitation/back-flow. Basically, every time it pumped, a good portion of that blood was coming right back in, so it had to pump harder.

So, we fix the valve and my heart is still conditioned to the previous situation, it thinks it has to work hard still, which, with a non-leaky valve now drives my blood pressure up considerably! So, we are having to drag it down with meds for the time being until it readjusts. It will eventually do so, and then we can taper off the meds. At the end of all of this, I should only have to be on some baby aspirin, though I suspect my cardiologist might keep me on a small dose of bisoprolol (which I've been on for years, 2.5mg).

Back