Like I said.....only a matter of time for EV's to be cost competitive

Calm down I was replying to 2 different people. The point of mentioning the jeep is guys who live in salted road states have a hard time believing all cars aren't junk by 10 years. I didn't get it until we moved from PA to AZ. Lots of EVs will live well past 10 years mechanically.
Oh I know what you mean. I think we're much alike on this. I've always had cars that look and operate like new no matter how old they are. It seems we're not as common as most and so many people just drive their cars into the ground. They really aren't that disposible and the electric ones aren't either.

I don't see manufacturers spending literally billions without having your concerns in mind. Would seem nonsensical to be gearing up for EVs for the masses and not having materials (under normal circumstances) available to manufacture of your spending billions on to make/get ready for production.

The objections to EVs keep getting thrown on to the walls here on this forum-yet when looking beyond to what make sense-isn't sticking to the walls.

BTW-I think all of us would be surprised at non U.S. parts in vehicles manufactured here. The of course you have some of Americas most popular vehicles that are made in Mexico.
I would think the parts and vehicle shortages we deal with everyday would be an indicator of the not having it figured out. I don't see how that isn't sticking to the walls. They announce more restrictions on China Daily, which is where most of this stuff is processed.

Mexico is a total different world than getting stuff from overseas.

I work in manufacturing and sincerely hope you are correct and I am wrong - I will benefit personally if you are correct, so I take no pleasure in what I believe is the reality.

Reactions: CKN
Some of these EV objections on this site are becoming nonsensical-this is one of them. But It's OK to park a vehicle with 20 or 30 gallons of gasoline in it. I could google all day long recalls about AMERICAN VEHCILES catching fire or potentially catching fire and being recalled for wiper motors, cruise control systems, etc, that could potentially burn you garage down.
This has nothing to do with the EV, just Chinese engineering and safety standards. I wouldn't trust a Chinese engineered gasoline vehicle either.

Calm down I was replying to 2 different people. The point of mentioning the jeep is guys who live in salted road states have a hard time believing all cars aren't junk by 10 years. I didn't get it until we moved from PA to AZ. Lots of EVs will live well past 10 years mechanically.
Most people have no idea of the difference between conditions until they have experienced it.

I couldn't believe how easy it is to keep a vehicle in perfect condition out here. My last 2 new vehicles, (2015-2018), have yet to be driven on a wet street. The only time the tires get wet is when I wash them.

When living in the Midwest I can't count the times I washed my car on Saturday, only to have it all slopped up on my Monday ride to work. In the Winter, just forget about it.

I honestly can't remember when I last washed my vehicles out here. It's been several months.

Some of these EV objections on this site are becoming nonsensical-this is one of them. But It's OK to park a vehicle with 20 or 30 gallons of gasoline in it. I could google all day long recalls about AMERICAN VEHCILES catching fire or potentially catching fire and being recalled for wiper motors, cruise control systems, etc, that could potentially burn you garage down.
I'm not so sure about that. Last insurance quote, company wanted to know if I plan on charging in my garage!

I'm not so sure about that. Last insurance quote, company wanted to know if I plan on charging in my garage!
I just traded in a 2017 Santa Fe Hyundai Santa Fe for a 2022 Highlander. The Highlander was $8.00 less year. So basically a wash to insure a nearly new Highlander (8,000 miles on it) verses a nearly 7 year old vehicle. Figure that one out. Lot's of guys of power drills, etc. recharging in their garage.

This has nothing to do with the EV, just Chinese engineering and safety standards. I wouldn't trust a Chinese engineered gasoline vehicle either.
Just so you know-I was all over the continent of South America very recently. Chinese vehicles-especially mid size/compact pickup trucks are every where. I didn't see any broke down nor burning. Many South American countries have favored trade status with China so many Chinese goods.

Just so you know-I was all over the continent of South America very recently. Chinese vehicles-especially mid size/compact pickup trucks are every where. I didn't see any broke down nor burning. Many South American countries have favored trade status with China so many Chinese goods.
Good place for them.

Not anywhere near the same thing. Most cordless drills draw very little power to recharge a small drill battery. That has nowhere near the amount of cells compared to a large EV battery.
That's true. But the point being is that many things can burn down your house.

I just traded in a 2017 Santa Fe Hyundai Santa Fe for a 2022 Highlander. The Highlander was $8.00 less year. So basically a wash to insure a nearly new Highlander (8,000 miles on it) verses a nearly 7 year old vehicle. Figure that one out. Lot's of guys of power drills, etc. recharging in their garage.
Similar for me. 2018 GTI is $365 for a 6 month premium for me, our 2023 Model 3 is $392. It's a bigger gap but they are completely different vehicles. I just don't see anything glaringly showing the Tesla to be unusually more expensive.

Here we go -

I could post numerous more-but I won't.

BTW-only 50% of India's households have indoor plumbing. What do you think their electrical wiring is like? I mean really.....

Find a country with building codes like ours....

Last edited:
This is the real reason why they're winners. I'm having a hard time not buying a second one with these Tesla price drops. VW scheduled maintenance isn't cheap.
VW scheduled maintenance is cheap, unscheduled maintenance is not.

VW scheduled maintenance is cheap, unscheduled maintenance is not.
I don't know that I'd call $800 scheduled maintenance cheap, but fair enough there isn't a cheap unscheduled maintenance for anything German. $800 was te 40k mile service and my car has the DSG, so that was oil change, spark plugs, DSG fluid, filters and the usual top ups. If it was 5 years ago I would have just done the work myself. I just don't have that kind of time these days, nor are my days off very scheduled.

I don't know that I'd call $800 scheduled maintenance cheap, but fair enough there isn't a cheap unscheduled maintenance for anything German. $800 was te 40k mile service and my car has the DSG, so that was oil change, spark plugs, DSG fluid, filters and the usual top ups. If it was 5 years ago I would have just done the work myself. I just don't have that kind of time these days, nor are my days off very scheduled.
Model 3 maintenance is exactly cheap, either:

- Brake Fluid Exchange and Cabin Filter every 2 years ($3-$400)
- Clean and Lubricate calipers annually ($200?)
- A/C Evac and Recharge with desiccant bag replacement every 6 years - 1234yf is extremely expensive. Evac/recharge alone is $5-600 at most places, plus the desiccant bag replacement. You're probably looking at $800-$1k.

So no, I don't think the Model 3 is significantly cheaper to maintain than your GTI if we are talking about scheduled maintenance.

- A/C Evac and Recharge with desiccant bag replacement every 6 years - 1234yf is extremely expensive. Evac/recharge alone is $5-600 at most places, plus the desiccant bag replacement. You're probably looking at $800-$1k.

So no, I don't think the Model 3 is significantly cheaper to maintain than your GTI if we are talking about scheduled maintenance.
As a certified refrigeration tech, I would be interested in hearing why a sealed A/C system needs recovered & the desiccant/dryer needs replaced when there are NO OTHER ISSUES! Sounds like an unnecessary wallet emptying to me!

You should probably look at the rest of the VW maintenance schedule. Sure that's not cheap, but it just keeps going with the GTI. VW calls for 3 years on the brake fluid I believe. I know I've done that once too. Realistically any car with "cheap" maintenance is likely just differed maintenance to make the vehicle seem cheaper to maintain. My favorite phrase is lifetime fill. What a crock of **** to say that we've decided this item should last 100k miles without grenading.

Not sure where you saw the AC thing. I can't find it anywhere and it doesn't mention it in my scheduled service for my car.

*edit* I decided to look into this further since you pointed this out. Clean and lubricate calipers is every 2 years in climates that use salt, which is my case. I wouldn't skimp on this. I had a Lincoln LS that sat a lot and the rear calipers were seized. As little as the brakes are actually used on a Tesla, I think this is very important. Brake fluid is just a test to see percentage of water since it's hydroscopic and replace above whatever level they deem needs replacement.

Last edited:
Not sure where you saw the AC thing. I can't find it anywhere and it doesn't mention it in my scheduled service for my car.
On the Tesla website (in the above link):

1682035855188.jpg

Back