Chinese will dominate Electric Vehicle (EV) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
"will dominate" is a pretty strong statement.

It's a very strong statement, but it was base on what the Chinese claimed:

"Double the performance at half the price."

"Our products are not upgraded from those that already exist. They are revolutionary ... products that never existed before."

Talk is cheap. "Revolutionary" is another very strong word that is over used everywhere. It usually means lots of smoke and mirrors with the final product being anything but revolutionary.
Let's see these vehicles first.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The Chinese have the technical knowledge, the manufacturing base and capital Elon Musk can only dream of.
Maybe this is something we should take seriously, without all of the fatuous sour grapes talk of stolen intellectual property and pennies an hour wages?

what is also more dangerous/threatening , is they are investing all over Eur-Asia and Africa to secure the strategical materials/resources....

If I had to bet, I would view the Chinese manufacturers as having a better chance to succeed in the EV market than those in the US.

Reading this thread is a bit like going back forty years, but the upstart then was Japan.
People laughed at the tiny Civic and bizarre looking Nissan products of the time, just as ten years later the Germans laughed at the notion of some Toyota badged as a Lexus seriously challenging Mercedes.
Who's laughing now?
The Chinese have the technical knowledge, the manufacturing base and capital Elon Musk can only dream of.
Maybe this is something we should take seriously, without all of the fatuous sour grapes talk of stolen intellectual property and pennies an hour wages?

I don't think it will be like Japan all over again. There are cultural differences between China and Japan. China has high corruption and low business trust. I think that will hold China back.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Where are they running their on-road tests of their autonomous cars? Talking is always free and does not need any resources.

Yeah, let's see the car.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
If I had to bet, I would view the Chinese manufacturers as having a better chance to succeed in the EV market than those in the US.

Electric seems ideal for the China market. Yes the US will never make a dent in the electric car building business.

Reading this thread is a bit like going back forty years, but the upstart then was Japan.
People laughed at the tiny Civic and bizarre looking Nissan products of the time, just as ten years later the Germans laughed at the notion of some Toyota badged as a Lexus seriously challenging Mercedes.
Who's laughing now?

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The question is, will we try to deal with the situation the same way we did 40+ years ago? Hide our heads in the sand? Throw up pesky 'road blocks' in an attempt to hold back the tide, while our industry carries on with the same-old-same-old until it's years behind?

We need to look at the culture of China and how quickly it has changed, even in the last 10 years!
In the past, they have not been innovative, but they are learning that too.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
They will steal trade secrets and patents.... build the best EV with all that stolen technologies.

No doubt they will steal all the technology they can get their hands on, but in countries with intellectual property protection, they won't be allowed to sell the resulting products.

EV is not exactly rocket science. The Chinese develop much more complex technology like Semiconductor chips, flat panel display, etc. It's naive to believe they only advance by stealing technology. The Chinese have significant technology development infrastructure in place. And when it comes to extremely complex development (like Semiconductor chips) they bring in foreign experts to start Chinese companies to develop the know how.

I just got back from China and the cars there are nice and I would not have been able to tell the difference between a car in China and a car in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back