Chinese automakers are comming to US !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the number of made in China replacement parts I have installed, I doubt I would buy a car from one of those Chinese car companies. I envision a car where every single bearing is crunchy after 1 year of driving.

Australia already has some cars that are made in China. I hear that they are made out of a pathetic grade of steel and paint which develops rust within 2 years.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
This globalism stuff has gone too far. People aren't dumb enough to buy Chinese cars, are they?

...I'll bet that's what they said about the Japanese automakers. Dang.

For sure they are, look at all the other products made in China people gobble up because they are cheap.
People are more than willing to accept low quality mediocre goods for lower prices even if it cost them their own jobs.

+1

Originally Posted By: vintagegz
CRV is not made in Mexico, it is either Canada or USA. HRV is built in Mexico. Now GM is building a new Buick SUV in China that will be sold here this fall and also they just built a new Cadillac production plant in China. We helped bail them out and now they take investment and jobs to our main competitor. Maybe if we all quit buying GM vehicles they would wake up and return investment and jobs to North, and I mean North, America.

GM is one of the best selling marques in China - a Buick is seen as a status symbol there and Cadillac is held in a higher regard there. The Chinese still haven't forgotten the Japanese for WWII, hence why Japanese automakers struggle a little there.

Is everyone here forgetting that a Chinese-built Volvo is already being sold in the U.S.?

The long-wheelbase S60, specifically called the "S60 Inscription," is on sale now in the U.S. and it's built in China.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-volvo-s60l-instrumented-test-review
Quote:
Oh, and it’s built in China, homeland of Volvo’s corporate parent, Geely. This stretched Volvo was devised for and is built only in that country, where many owners prefer to sit in the rear and let someone else deal with Sino-traffic nightmares. There, it’s called the S60L and, presumably, pride attaches to local assembly in Chengdu. Here, it’s a sort of pioneer—among all production cars available in the U.S. as of this writing, the Inscription alone wears Made in China labels (other S60s hail from Sweden).

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Is everyone here forgetting that a Chinese-built Volvo is already being sold in the U.S.?

The long-wheelbase S60, specifically called the "S60 Inscription," is on sale now in the U.S. and it's built in China.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-volvo-s60l-instrumented-test-review
Quote:
Oh, and it’s built in China, homeland of Volvo’s corporate parent, Geely. This stretched Volvo was devised for and is built only in that country, where many owners prefer to sit in the rear and let someone else deal with Sino-traffic nightmares. There, it’s called the S60L and, presumably, pride attaches to local assembly in Chengdu. Here, it’s a sort of pioneer—among all production cars available in the U.S. as of this writing, the Inscription alone wears Made in China labels (other S60s hail from Sweden).

I knew Volvo was now Chinese owned, but I was unaware they built anything there.

Because of this, Volvo no longer interests me. Ill potentually buy something older, but that is it. I have the same feelings for Jeep/ Chrysler and GM too though.

I will say that my dads company car called a Cadillac sls had an incredible build quality and made in China by gm. It was foreign market caddy sts stretched with executive features and trim in it. Nice car to be driven about in China during my visit to my dad.

Originally Posted By: nthach
GM is one of the best selling marques in China - a Buick is seen as a status symbol there and Cadillac is held in a higher regard there. The Chinese still haven't forgotten the Japanese for WWII, hence why Japanese automakers struggle a little there.

^^^THIS

One also has to realize that IF a company wants to expand markets, and do business in, or sell it's products in China, their gummint REQUIRES a transplant type factory be set up and built THERE to employ THEIR workers.

Unlike here, where all of the "free/open market"loopholes) OUR domestic based companies when they off-shore and outsource labor and production.
This, as well as giving big tax breaks to FOREIGN based companies setting up their transplants HERE, while NOT offering the same to our own domestic based manufacturers to build their plants here.
mad.gif
31.gif

Yup, "free trade" at it's best. (BIG rolleyes!)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Unlike here, where all of the "free/open market"loopholes) OUR domestic based companies when they off-shore and outsource labor and production.
This, as well as giving big tax breaks to FOREIGN based companies setting up their transplants HERE, while NOT offering the same to our own domestic based manufacturers to build their plants here.
mad.gif
31.gif

Yup, "free trade" at it's best. (BIG rolleyes!)

Which is why Ford is moving Focus and Fiesta production to Mexico - and why Honda is moving a lot of their R&D to Ohio from Japan/Torrance as well as Kentucky giving Toyota a tax break to expand their plant to build the Lexus ES.

The Toyota move from Torrance to Plano can be another good example.

Last edited:
You said it!!!
Agreed!
Just say NO!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
This globalism stuff has gone too far. People aren't dumb enough to buy Chinese cars, are they?

...I'll bet that's what they said about the Japanese automakers. Dang.

For sure they are, look at all the other products made in China people gobble up because they are cheap.
People are more than willing to accept low quality mediocre goods for lower prices even if it cost them their own jobs.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Very sure I will never own one.

Very sure you own things now made in China (your smartphone and flat panel T.V.) or at the very least has parts made in China.

When everything is made in China we will be able to get Wefare cheks and watch TV all day! I think about the unemployed at times.

Originally Posted By: CT8
When everything is made in China we will be able to get Wefare cheks and watch TV all day! I think about the unemployed at times.

The same politicians that are eager to send our jobs overseas seem to be the ones who want to cut unemployment and welfare. Maybe we'll eventually have to eat our own [censored] to survive some day.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: CT8

The same politicians that are eager to send our jobs overseas seem to be the ones who want to cut unemployment and welfare (AND SS/SSDI). Maybe we'll eventually have to eat our own [censored] to survive some day.

Yes, the absolute DEATH of the middle class seems to be their ultimate goal.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

Very sure you own things now made in China (your smartphone and flat panel T.V.) or at the very least has parts made in China.

It's pretty tough, if not impossible not to own SOME things that are made in China as that is the only place they are made now days...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
When are we as consumers gonna take a stand against this China garbage? I buy "made in the USA" as often as I can find it...problem is, it's difficult to find...

You can in November.....if you're smart

Originally Posted By: CKN

That doesn't mean you have to buy a car made in China as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my smart phone and TV won't kill me by having the wheels fall off. Ask Ford how those Mustang manual transmissions produced in China have fared.

China can produce quality products as long as there is 100% oversight and inspection of the raw materials and finished products. Managers and supervisors there are experts at taking shortcuts and cheating, and will do so at every opportunity to make an extra illicit buck. Or renminbi in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back