Life on the West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
NY public school teachers get great benefits. Unfortunately neither of us are public school teachers, else we'd be looking for a house here in NY. I'm pretty sure the grass ain't greener on the other coast, but it might be more our shade of green.

Around us, houses are going for $60k. But it's in a dying town with no long-term job prospects for us since the folks with the good jobs are holding onto them tenaciously. So there's no reason for us to set down roots where we are when we're still looking for long-term jobs that aren't available. Out there, at least now, there are jobs available with comparable pay to our current ones.

What it boils down to is that we're ready for a change, and are looking to jump in with both feet.

Places with good paying jobs will have high housing cost. Want an average of 80k a year per person? you are looking at 400-500k house, and 110k a year per person? try 800-900k.

If I were a teacher I'd go to small to mid size town that houses cost 150k with low crime. Base on this number I would pick a state with low income and sales tax and high property tax.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Places with good paying jobs will have high housing cost. Want an average of 80k a year per person? you are looking at 400-500k house, and 110k a year per person? try 800-900k.

If I were a teacher I'd go to small to mid size town that houses cost 150k with low crime. Base on this number I would pick a state with low income and sales tax and high property tax.

I have to disagree with this some. I make 70k/yr and my wife makes 50k/yr. Nice 3 bedrooms here go for an avg of 250k. There is a strong economy here as well. So luckily we have that going for us. I do realize its not the same everywhere in this country and I consider us extremely fortunate. But I do know what its like to struggle and make hard choices. Especially when it comes to moving to a whole other part of the country. I say that you should go for it ASAP. I will never regret my move here.

We're pretty much resigned that it's going to be more expensive anywhere else. For all the negatives, where we are in NY is a very cheap place to live.

We're not flashy people, and don't need the latest/greatest/glitziest of anything. That being said, we do appreciate nice things/surroundings, and don't mind paying if we need it and it's a far cry better than an initially less expensive alternative. Such as a house with a garage over one that doesn't have one/room/zoning to build one.

Right now does seem like a good time to get a toehold on the West Coast with real estate dropping into a range we can comfortably afford. Jobs are also a touch stronger out there than here.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I have to disagree with this some. I make 70k/yr and my wife makes 50k/yr. Nice 3 bedrooms here go for an avg of 250k. There is a strong economy here as well. So luckily we have that going for us. I do realize its not the same everywhere in this country and I consider us extremely fortunate. But I do know what its like to struggle and make hard choices. Especially when it comes to moving to a whole other part of the country. I say that you should go for it ASAP. I will never regret my move here.

I'm talking about AVERAGE income for the area per person (so probably 160k a year average family income). Maybe you and your wife are above average income for the area?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: bustednutz

I'm talking about AVERAGE income for the area per person (so probably 160k a year average family income). Maybe you and your wife are above average income for the area?

+1

We're doing much better than the average family around us, and comparable to our neighbors in this section of town. Although that's still not a ton of money since the average here is next to nothing. Can't compare here to NYC and their pay scale since where we live is dirt-cheap to live.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
We're doing much better than the average family around us, and comparable to our neighbors in this section of town. Although that's still not a ton of money since the average here is next to nothing. Can't compare here to NYC and their pay scale since where we live is dirt-cheap to live.

Where my father lives in western NY you can purchase a three bedroom/two bath, garage, farm house with 5+ acres for well under $100k. Out here in the Seattle area? Even a very modest rambler will cost you over $200k for the most part. Yes, in undesirable areas the prices are less....but I would advise not living there. A combined income of at least $120k would be needed out here to be doing ok. The more the better of course.

The both of you should take a week vacation out there and look around to see for yourself where you would like to end up.

Don't move with securing a new job or a backup plan if things don't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back