Where to buy a house in the US?

Thought to post a quick update. From my research, McAllen Texas is the top affordable housing market in the USA. Very affordable housing with ample availability, Zillow predicts a 6.5 percent gain on year over year housing prices in McAllen, which might be tops in the USA. SpaceX is one of numerous employers setting up shop in the area, as Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc become less affordable.

There is a reason a place has "Ample Availability" when other homes in desirable parts of the country go under contract in days/if not hours.

It's right up against the border.

I will just lay this right here without further commentary....

There is a reason a place has "Ample Availability" when other homes in desirable parts of the country go under contract in days/if not hours.

It's right up against the border.

I will just lay this right here without further commentary....
Affordable and desirable are two very different things. I’m with you, McAllen’s proximity to the border is not a positive thing.

Affordable and desirable are two very different things. I’m with you, McAllen’s proximity to the border is not a positive thing.
There are still places where you can get a free home or in the case of Northern Wisconsin or Upper Michigan nearly free.

If you aren’t burdened by the need of a job in the area they are perfectly fine places to live if you enjoy travel, and nature. And one restaurant/bar/gas station in 20 miles.

Thought to post a quick update. From my research, McAllen Texas is the top affordable housing market in the USA. Very affordable housing with ample availability, Zillow predicts a 6.5 percent gain on year over year housing prices in McAllen, which might be tops in the USA. SpaceX is one of numerous employers setting up shop in the area, as Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc become less affordable.
Sorry that’s an easy no, way too close to the border!

You said you work retail. That implies a few things so this may have relevance or not. People are pushing parts of the country that may be much less lucrative as far as wages. Minimum wage in Cali. is $19+ an hour. Texas is $7.25.

Good luck with the move.
It's hard to do. If I didn't have a business I'd be gone the next day.
I'm only taking family keepsakes and the rest stays behind.
Where? Unfortunately you have to go to every location you're thinking about. That's a bunch of work.

Is Reno bad ?

I thought some years Reno get lots of snow.
They can get some snow but they're on the backside of the Sierra Nevada so they're spared to a large extent.

Reno is high plains desert. Constant wind and dry heat but not as hot as say Vegas because of the altitude. The altitude does raise the UV index to extremes. 300 days of sunshine.

North and South Carolina offer the OP everything he’s looking for.
Plentiful jobs, beautiful new homes, low-cost for everything.

I was there 6 months ago.

TONS of jobs in the Greenville, SC area.
Tons and Tons of jobs since it’s a manufacturing hub for many industries.

OP can find 5 jobs within a week. I was looking on Indeed and it might be an option for him.

Last edited:
Lot of unfilled jobs in a lot of places. Last time I went through Montana to Seattle there were many billboards and signs looking for entry level employees from $17-$24 an hour. Restaurant's closed due to staffing shortages. No indoor dining at fast food due to staffing shortages. Gas station open, convenience store closed due to staffing shortages. The fact is, as our population ages we are not producing enough replacements to keep up. Zero birthrate and immigrants stalled waiting for their processing/asylum hearings is having an impact on jobs. I do believe we need secure borders and should by all means keep out criminals and their drugs etc. I also believe we need many of these folks to fill jobs and contribute going forward ,so many things American's take for granted can be funded going in the future by tax revenue of workers.

OP can find 5 jobs within a week. I was looking on Indeed and it might be an option for him.
Yes, as you know, my son works up there.
Industries all over the place looking for people. The pay is definitely good enough to purchase a home. The benefits certainly good enough to take care of you and your family.
Pretty cool that you made the trip there!

It’s pretty impressive. What’s taking place in the state of South Carolina and to some degree North Carolina, too. I haven’t been here in North Carolina long enough to compare with my experiences of South Carolina..

I was actually in Greenville twice on separate occasions. Looking around for houses and neighborhoods.

That entire region is really popping.

Anyway to get me a job application at BMW ?
Just kidding. ☺️

Upstate SC has experienced a large influx of people from the NE US (Retirees and workers) which has been driving up the cost of living. Eventually they're going to want the same level of amenities they're were used to but unwilling to pay for when they lived in the NE. The cost of living has also grown in neighboring WNC. Food prices and housing are on par with "Big city Atlanta".

You said you work retail. That implies a few things so this may have relevance or not. People are pushing parts of the country that may be much less lucrative as far as wages. Minimum wage in Cali. is $19+ an hour. Texas is $7.25.
Many areas of Southern Illinois have median home prices around $50,000 and they aren’t Detroit or Indiana like, ditto Iowa. Wage spread isn’t terrible

Back