Where to buy a house in the US?

Still a lot of openness and rural areas in Florida, it’s really amazing how much open land there is but one has to make that decision to move to nothingness.

Like Long Island, Florida is mostly land locked there is only the northern border to escape. Good news is the northernmost border is one of the least crowded, nothing but open land if that’s your thing.

As much as I love Florida I could never move much further than a few miles over the GA border or else I would feel trapped like Long Island. Only one way to get out, rest of the state is surrounded by water and it’s a huge long state.

Ocala and Gainesville is a decent area in central FL away from a major cities like Tampa, Orlando, Daytona, etc…

dogememe,

How easy is it to transfer with your job / career field ?

Still a lot of openness and rural areas in Florida, it’s really amazing how much open land there is but one has to make that decision to move to nothingness.

Like Long Island, Florida is mostly land locked there is only the northern border to escape. Good news is the northernmost border is one of the least crowded, nothing but open land if that’s your thing.

As much as I love Florida I could never move much further than a few miles over the GA border or else I would feel trapped like Long Island. Only one way to get out, rest of the state is surrounded by water and it’s a huge long state.
There are some rural areas in Florida, the problem is access to the airports and to a hospital. Our plans are on hold for now, I'm not in a hurry, and we have other areas/states we're going to look into.

There are some rural areas in Florida, the problem is access to the airports and to a hospital. Our plans are on hold for now, I'm not in a hurry, and we have other areas/states we're going to look into.
Yes was a big concern of ours however right over the GA border all along and down i95 from Yulee to St Johns you can find quieter areas and the Jacksonville health network is among the best that you will get anywhere including the Mayo Clinic.

I wish I had that network in our brand new home of coastal NC it was a trade off for us but worth it many times over so far, having only live here 8 weeks 🙃 we new the trade off but to us, Florida was feeling a little overtaxed for what you get.
Gave me the Long Island eibee jaebies 🤪

Yes was a big concern of ours however right over the GA border all along and down i95 from Yulee to St Johns you can find quieter areas and the Jacksonville health network is among the best that you will get anywhere including the Mayo Clinic.

I wish I had that network in our brand new home of coastal NC it was a trade off for us but worth it many times over so far, having only live here 8 weeks 🙃 we new the trade off but to us, Florida was feeling a little overtaxed for what you get.
Gave me the Long Island eibee jaebies 🤪
Florida is heading that overtaxed L.I. way. Oh and my son hates Florida. My wife wants to go, I need to further investigate, along with looking at other options. Do you know what that translates to? A big ##***###@@**## headache. lol

Florida is heading that overtaxed L.I. way. Oh and my son hates Florida. My wife wants to go, I need to further investigate, along with looking at other options. Do you know what that translates to? A big ##***###@@**## headache. lol
So you're getting headaches investigating an already done deal? :)

Yeah but without my income it ain’t gonna happen so it’s a team effort.

We kinda decided that we’re going to cancel buying a home together.

She wants to stay in CA - I don’t. I guess I’ll just have to get a better job and save up on my own LOL
There's always Reno. :)

Homeowners Insurance rates are skyrocketing in FLA. It's only going to get worse as the population continues to grow.

Homeowners Insurance rates are skyrocketing in FLA. It's only going to get worse as the population continues to grow.
For sure! I old my wife that, and areas that weren't flood zones might become flood zones because of the storm. Property taxes will get crazy too, more schools more roads. No free lunch.

Where I live people start bidding wars when a house has radon
St. George and the surrounding area literally had radioactive fallout dropping on it for over a decade from about 100 nuclear tests. Yeah, housing is cheap, but that’s in part because it’s a nuclear fallout zone.

Most of the very dangerous radioisotopes have decayed by now, but there are others that last longer. It’s fine to visit, but I would never choose to live there, breathing in dust from the dry summer winds.

St. George gamma:

Compare to Salt Lake City:

I was in Greenville, Greer SC area 2 weeks ago and it’s a nice area.

Affordable housing and lots of jobs in that area.

My mother and I want to buy a house together.

Budget is a concern. So our current location SF Bay Area is obviously out. We could have done Vallejo but I lived and worked in that city for a year and I never want to go back. I don’t even like driving through it.

I’m more conservative so I’d like to move to North Carolina because I have a long time friend there who has a good quality of life there. And I would love to get away from the way CA is going with the way crime is handled (as in, it’s not). But my mother is the opposite… and she’s putting down the down payment so ultimately it’s her choice.

I’m recently single and don’t have many friends so I’m not stuck here. Currently I work retail and could easily transfer to any of the 6000 US locations. My next job is probably going to be a work from home web development job so location for that doesn’t really matter.

My mother wants to stay as close to here to be near the rest of our family. But her partner has family in Portland and my aunt has family there too so she thought maybe there. But my research shows it’s the Vallejo of Oregon and things don’t seem much different up there?

Any suggestions? I know it’s a broad question with no right (or wrong) answer but I’m just curious where people here found a good quality of life place to buy a home. Because we’re both sick of renting.

How old are you ?

Just wondering.

I'm going through this right now only with my wife. My wife wants Florida, the outskirts of Tampa, I'm having second thoughts. My son is there and hates it. I have to find the right house, and I haven't. Crowded, congested, and taxes are rising, three strikes. My wife hates cold weather, I'm not a fan of blistering heat. LOL Good luck OP. Subscribed.

Maybe Gainesville or Ocala… ?

Much better than Tampa region and away from the coast.

My mother and I want to buy a house together.

Budget is a concern. So our current location SF Bay Area is obviously out. We could have done Vallejo but I lived and worked in that city for a year and I never want to go back. I don’t even like driving through it.

I’m more conservative so I’d like to move to North Carolina because I have a long time friend there who has a good quality of life there. And I would love to get away from the way CA is going with the way crime is handled (as in, it’s not). But my mother is the opposite… and she’s putting down the down payment so ultimately it’s her choice.

I’m recently single and don’t have many friends so I’m not stuck here. Currently I work retail and could easily transfer to any of the 6000 US locations. My next job is probably going to be a work from home web development job so location for that doesn’t really matter.

My mother wants to stay as close to here to be near the rest of our family. But her partner has family in Portland and my aunt has family there too so she thought maybe there. But my research shows it’s the Vallejo of Oregon and things don’t seem much different up there?

Any suggestions? I know it’s a broad question with no right (or wrong) answer but I’m just curious where people here found a good quality of life place to buy a home. Because we’re both sick of renting.
Alot of Kentucky seems to have wages that seem livable for the cost of housing.

Back