Where to buy a house in the US?

OMG leave the boy alone!

OP, SE of the country is still considered to be affordable in comparison to the rest of the country, but it is getting out of control slowly but surely

the main attraction is close proximity of mountains and beaches in the SE

got to make up your mind, the sooner the better!

GL

That depends on whether your personal activities are items that tend to be related to current political controversies.

Generally speaking, almost every city or metropolitan area has neighborhoods (or sections) that are "exempt" from chronic issues - but $$$ is the greatest barrier to entry.

In my view this is changing. Around my neck of the woods and in many cities they are changing the zoning to allow more multi-family housing in what were regular single family home neighborhoods. Here , any new developments have to have a mix of low income, multi family or lower priced townhomes along with single family homes.

There was a recent story about Steph Curry complaining to the local council because apartments are going in right next to his mansion in an exclusive neighborhood. Local politics plays the major role in these changes.

In my view this is changing. Around my neck of the woods and in many cities they are changing the zoning to allow more multi-family housing in what were regular single family home neighborhoods. Here , any new developments have to have a mix of low income, multi family or lower priced townhomes along with single family homes.

There was a recent story about Steph Curry complaining to the local council because apartments are going in right next to his mansion in an exclusive neighborhood. Local politics plays the major role in these changes.
Most of these new multi family developments have to contain a small percentage of below market options, but even then, the pricing of those units are still only afforded by young professionals who are making upper 5 figures.

I really have to wonder about the juxtaposition of these two threads...

You tell us you're unhappy, but thankful for the supportive, loving partner.

Then you tell us you are going to buy a house with your mother??

And this partner is OK with moving across the country to live with your mother?

I can't help but be concerned about what you're getting yourself into with this move, financially, professionally, socially, emotionally.
We broke up

Most of these new multi family developments have to contain a small percentage of below market options, but even then, the pricing of those units are still only afforded by young professionals who are making upper 5 figures.
Once you get section 8/low income housing in an area it declines very quickly taking all the other property values with it.

This. Unfortunately way too many people are doing this now and it is just silly.
Everything in choices is a coin, with both the head and the tail sides. Yes you get the politics you wanted but also the opposite aspect of the politics you don't want.

Personally I would be fine living in Texas or California as long as it is the nicer part of the state. It may benefit me more in one aspect or the other in life (real estate boom or home affordability, no state income tax vs prop 13, more considerate people vs people respecting your privacy, etc), it is really more of an affordability vs what income am I making choice.

Please don’t make any rash decisions - I’ve seen a lot of friends do similar things after a breakup. Especially large financial decisions like this.

Long term, they really regret it.

Yeah, I understand. Not buying right now... hoping for near end of year or maybe next year. If it even happens at all. In a way it's good because now I am not attached to anywhere so I don't really care where I live.

Yeah, I understand. Not buying right now... hoping for near end of year or maybe next year. If it even happens at all. In a way it's good because now I am not attached to anywhere so I don't really care where I live.

Sometimes a change of environment is a good thing. Good luck in your future decision.

I can tell you there is a VERY STRONG, ACADEMIA-INFLUENCED national zoning 'movement' being orchestrated today with all sorts of activist-happy BS being pushed on city planners. This is being done through annual and semi-annual conferences. A very large (1500+ planners in attendance) just finished yesterday in Philadelphia where a majority of the conference was spent on attempts to brainwash planners with all sorts of feel-good stuff.

Most of these ideas came from a consortium of people from Universities who are dreaming up a national zoning code with desires to implement it from major metro/urban cesspools to rural farmlands.

Once you get section 8/low income housing in an area it declines very quickly taking all the other property values with it.
They say that in a classroom you can integrate disadvantaged children if the ratio is low enough (1:15 to 1:20, so one or two children per classroom), and give them the opportunity to rise to a higher socioeconomic level.

However, if the ratio is too high, the other children get pulled down.

I imagine neighbourhoods are similar.

I can tell you there is a VERY STRONG, ACADEMIA-INFLUENCED national zoning 'movement' being orchestrated today with all sorts of activist-happy BS being pushed on city planners. This is being done through annual and semi-annual conferences. A very large (1500+ planners in attendance) just finished yesterday in Philadelphia where a majority of the conference was spent on attempts to brainwash planners with all sorts of feel-good stuff.

Most of these ideas came from a consortium of people from Universities who are dreaming up a national zoning code with desires to implement it from major metro/urban cesspools to rural farmlands.
I can tell you based on my personal experience:

These activists are for hire, someone (likely developers who want to rezone from low density to high) is paying for them. Once upon a time I had a neighbor who tore down a house next to us and build something that block off our view. We opposed and then all of a sudden he was able to find a bunch of activists from who knows where to come and speak in public hearing, not in our neighborhood, never shook hands with each other, never talk to the developers or anyone else, one talk and gone.

So, what does that tell you? It is NOT academic influenced, someone (likely a developer, you'll find out when the zone is changed and who build on the land next) is paying for them to do these. I'm 100% sure they aren't commies or charities, and the developed housing are not for affordability but rather luxury condos / apartments instead.

Reactions: Pew
Packed and growing very fast. It is heading down the same path Nassau and Western Suffolk counties on L.I. did decades ago. The same writing is on the wall, only at a much higher acceleration rate.
Still a lot of openness and rural areas in Florida, it’s really amazing how much open land there is but one has to make that decision to move to nothingness.

Like Long Island, Florida is mostly land locked there is only the northern border to escape. Good news is the northernmost border is one of the least crowded, nothing but open land if that’s your thing.

As much as I love Florida I could never move much further than a few miles over the GA border or else I would feel trapped like Long Island. Only one way to get out, rest of the state is surrounded by water and it’s a huge long state.

Last edited:
Since mom is ponying up the down payment it's ultimately her choice
Yeah but without my income it ain’t gonna happen so it’s a team effort.

We kinda decided that we’re going to cancel buying a home together.

She wants to stay in CA - I don’t. I guess I’ll just have to get a better job and save up on my own LOL

Back