Where to buy a house in the US?

Stay clear of the North East, NH is getting now saturated with Massholes, VT is loaded with real dingbats, fruit cakes and comrades, MA is the CA of the east coast and full of real loony tunes.
Yes. You don't want Tax-a-chussetts. They have a heady income tax. I guess they forgot about the Tea Party and all that history. But they do take care of you when in dire straights. I worked in Ma and lost my job in early Y2K tech shrinkage Got megadollars unemployment for a couple years. Felt guilty for a minute then ... not! Of course at tax time I had to pay tax on the unemployment! I wrote them I couldn't - I was unemployed.

Move 20 miles inland not too many masstransplants. I was one myself in 1990. But after 32+ years I don't think I am one anymore. I paid my dues. Though I am not drunk all the time like most of the "townies". Hmm.

My mother and I want to buy a house together.

Budget is a concern. So our current location SF Bay Area is obviously out. We could have done Vallejo but I lived and worked in that city for a year and I never want to go back. I don’t even like driving through it.

I’m more conservative so I’d like to move to North Carolina because I have a long time friend there who has a good quality of life there. And I would love to get away from the way CA is going with the way crime is handled (as in, it’s not). But my mother is the opposite… and she’s putting down the down payment so ultimately it’s her choice.

I’m recently single and don’t have many friends so I’m not stuck here. Currently I work retail and could easily transfer to any of the 6000 US locations. My next job is probably going to be a work from home web development job so location for that doesn’t really matter.

My mother wants to stay as close to here to be near the rest of our family. But her partner has family in Portland and my aunt has family there too so she thought maybe there. But my research shows it’s the Vallejo of Oregon and things don’t seem much different up there?

Any suggestions? I know it’s a broad question with no right (or wrong) answer but I’m just curious where people here found a good quality of life place to buy a home. Because we’re both sick of renting.
Please choose anywhere but Texas. We don't need your mother voting here as we are already too far along the CA path. Colorado Springs is liked by many. Greater SLC area has many advocates. Both are possibly close enough for visiting family. Good luck.

Personally moving for politics unless a direct impact on you and you life is a bit crazy. Especially at an entire state level. Put that aside and see what an area offers. Also before moving anywhere and binding yourself down to a home unless you know it rent there. You’ll be clueless on part of town or even community vibe without living there for a bit.

Good luck , just don’t leap into home buying , it’s expensive if you want to change it quick .

My parents retired to Fort Myers (note spelling) inland a bit in 1983 at a upscale Country Club within a short drive to the big RSW airport. Was good for about 15 years, then then area got way over built. Flat, hot, commercial and bunched up. Being under scorching sun then in AC all the time. When ever I visited it took me about 5 days to acclimate.
On the plus side there is No State Income tax. But instead a heady sales tax - including sutomobiles - of 6%. There are lots of shops and good restaurants. I don't like Naples.

You already know New Hampshire has no state income or sales tax - ZERO %. - just a diners/meals tax and a somewhat elevated property tax depending on town. They are even currently phasing out the dividend tax.

I will say Winters up here in NH are becoming less tolerable as I quickly approach 70 years of age.
But tax is a reality in retirement. You can easily pay the Feds 3.5 to 5 grand $$$ yearly if you supplement your modest SS income with 401K withdrawals to live comfortably.

If you find someplace nice, let us know!

Been visiting NH for the last 36+years now. The last 6 I have been living here. Wife has family up here. Originally lived in PA 43 years prior to coming up here. What a difference in weather. As I get older/67 the winters are not my favorite thing here. Summers are to short. Bugs,don't get me started on that one. I think at some time before the dirt nap I will head south again to a warmer climate.

Any state that has open carry . Me I'm going to retire in a place where all the illegals are coming from should find some nice bargains.

Personally moving for politics unless a direct impact on you and you life is a bit crazy. Especially at an entire state level. Put that aside and see what an area offers. Also before moving anywhere and binding yourself down to a home unless you know it rent there. You’ll be clueless on part of town or even community vibe without living there for a bit.

Good luck , just don’t leap into home buying , it’s expensive if you want to change it quick .
This. Unfortunately way too many people are doing this now and it is just silly.

Please choose anywhere but Texas. We don't need your mother voting here as we are already too far along the CA path. Colorado Springs is liked by many. Greater SLC area has many advocates. Both are possibly close enough for visiting family. Good luck.
Hey! No to Colorado Springs. It's winter year round.

Politics good and bad impact every person living in that state/city. It is far from silly!
That depends on whether your personal activities are items that tend to be related to current political controversies.

Generally speaking, almost every city or metropolitan area has neighborhoods (or sections) that are "exempt" from chronic issues - but $$$ is the greatest barrier to entry.

I like western North Carolina much better than SC. Weather less oppressive
Cost of housing in WNC has been really high for almost two decades. It's a revolving door with retirees especially those who are younger (Early 60's). They build an expensive house with their chunk of out-of-state equity, and live there for about 7-8 yrs. At around that time health issues start to crop up, grandkids are over 5, and they move out. Jobs revolve around the retiree's. This means service industry/hospitality, medical, and law.

Family member just bought a house in rural France. Retired and living there part time for now.

I'm going through this right now only with my wife. My wife wants Florida, the outskirts of Tampa, I'm having second thoughts. My son is there and hates it. I have to find the right house, and I haven't. Crowded, congested, and taxes are rising, three strikes. My wife hates cold weather, I'm not a fan of blistering heat. LOL Good luck OP. Subscribed.
I have some good friends who live in New Port Richey but work is in Largo. I simply visit a few times a year; they are boat people (I’ll happily go boating but I’m not a boat person, because boats are nothing more than a hole in the water that you throw money into) so many times we’re out on it not living the “normal” life. Temps are not terrible, especially in winter… but even on the coast with a good breeze, the summer humidity is withering to me. Plus, if you go inland like the Orlando area, you can nearly set your watch by the afternoon 3:30-4:00 rain.

If there were a place that had mid-southern FL temps and Central Valley humidity along with conservative-leaning governance policies, I’d be there. Tomorrow.

I grew-up and loved California but in the early 80’s I was assigned to Yuma Proving Grounds to set up a field office for a defense firm. Tried for nearly 20 years to get out of here, but then things changed. California was sliding into the toilet and nearly everywhere else was out of my 💰reach. Now that I’m old, relocating isn’t as important as it used to be. In fact, here Lizard Spit Arizona, the crime is relatively low, and I live in a pretty safe neighborhood comparatively speaking. You can get an average size suburban home for pennies on the dollar compared to most places. I could sell my home for about 275K and the same home with an above average lot size, would run about 1.2M (my conservative guess) in Cali.

Last edited:
That depends on whether your personal activities are items that tend to be related to current political controversies.

Generally speaking, almost every city or metropolitan area has neighborhoods (or sections) that are "exempt" from chronic issues - but $$$ is the greatest barrier to entry.
I have lived in NYC my entire life and in one of the best neighborhoods. 2 years to Retirment and can't wait to get out of this Freaking Sit hole. would like to live out my Retirment without fear of being shot.

My mother and I want to buy a house together.

Budget is a concern. So our current location SF Bay Area is obviously out. We could have done Vallejo but I lived and worked in that city for a year and I never want to go back. I don’t even like driving through it.

I’m more conservative so I’d like to move to North Carolina because I have a long time friend there who has a good quality of life there. And I would love to get away from the way CA is going with the way crime is handled (as in, it’s not). But my mother is the opposite… and she’s putting down the down payment so ultimately it’s her choice.

I’m recently single and don’t have many friends so I’m not stuck here. Currently I work retail and could easily transfer to any of the 6000 US locations. My next job is probably going to be a work from home web development job so location for that doesn’t really matter.

My mother wants to stay as close to here to be near the rest of our family. But her partner has family in Portland and my aunt has family there too so she thought maybe there. But my research shows it’s the Vallejo of Oregon and things don’t seem much different up there?

Any suggestions? I know it’s a broad question with no right (or wrong) answer but I’m just curious where people here found a good quality of life place to buy a home. Because we’re both sick of renting.
I really have to wonder about the juxtaposition of these two threads...

You tell us you're unhappy, but thankful for the supportive, loving partner.

Then you tell us you are going to buy a house with your mother??

And this partner is OK with moving across the country to live with your mother?

I can't help but be concerned about what you're getting yourself into with this move, financially, professionally, socially, emotionally.

Back