Let's talk beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been drinking Red Stripe lately. Tastes like Falstaff tasted, when it was made in St. Louis. Yes, I'm old.

Anyone tried this season's Snow Cap Ale? Nice evening sipping beer. Because you'll be sleepy after a bottle of that winter warmer! Not over hopped, not as much malt as I like. Not distinct but no off aromas or flavors. Fits the style, but some may prefer more hops, bittering and aromatic.

Just tapped into my keg of Continental Pilsner last night. Not really true to form, as this was made with ale yeast, but mighty tasty and not too hoppy. I am not a hop head.

There are three kinds of Franziskaner Weißbier:

Kristallweizen (crystal clear)
Helles (light)
Dunkles (dark)

Helles and Dunkles are more popular than Kristallweizen. Franziskaner (named after the Order of Saint Francis -- monasteries commonly had breweries) is now owned by Spaten, another famous and very old Bavarian brewery.

Light beers are often mixed with soda to make the "Radler" (=bicyclist). It's a popular drink in the summer, because you can drink a couple liters without getting plastered and falling off your bike, out of your tennis shoes, into the gutter etc. The commonly used glass or mug holds one whole liter. Read more here: http://www.csulb.edu/~parayner/Radler.html

Oh, and anyone who looks over 12 can buy a Radler in Germany.

I bet you had a Helles. The crystal clear one isn't really clear, it is a light amber. Even the Dunkles (dark) is still a "white beer." Traditionally, German white beer must not be filtered. The crystal clear version is filtered and thus the purists may object to it. Helles and Dunkles are by far the most popular kinds of beer in Bavaria. I'm the oddball, because I like for the most part only the occasional double bock.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Light beers are often mixed with soda to make the "Radler" (=bicyclist). It's a popular drink in the summer,

Here, a half and half beer/lemonade is called a "shandy". Used to be quite popular, now the kids drink those filthy vodka drinks.

In typical Oz fashion, the word "shandy" spread, with some Chinese restaurants offering a "shandy combination" a tub with two different meals in it.

I've been sipping on Sierra Nevada ESB, "Early Spring Beer". It is nice and light (to me) with a ton of cascade hop aroma but not too much hop bitterness. Its got a bit of maris otter malt in it to make it a bit Brittish tasting.

as usual from SN, its great.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Light beers are often mixed with soda to make the "Radler" (=bicyclist). It's a popular drink in the summer,

Here, a half and half beer/lemonade is called a "shandy".

Good to know! (I didn't know)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandy

Tonite a case of Mojo India Pale Ale by Boulder Beer was procured for 28 bucks. Amarillo hops turned loose apon a malt backbone. Finishes citrusy. Amarillo hops are quite common in American style IPA's. This case will last me a while as IPA's are not for chugging.

Last edited:
Sam Adams Boston Lager tonite! Almost wrote the Boston Beer Company off because of the Honey Porter. Thank goodness I gave them another chance. The Boston Lager is classy for the style!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
I've been sipping on Sierra Nevada ESB, "Early Spring Beer". It is nice and light (to me) with a ton of cascade hop aroma but not too much hop bitterness. Its got a bit of maris otter malt in it to make it a bit British tasting.

as usual from SN, its great.
11.gif

Good stuff- I also had a special Harvest Ale SN 22 oz Fresh hops edition. it was also good.
48.gif

Last edited:
Sam Adams is expensive in Canada, if you can find it. Better beers available for that price.

For casual drinking, anything cold.

For refined drinking (not like I can afford THAT nowadays
smirk2.gif
LOL.gif
), something from "Unibroue", micro-brewery out of Quebec, Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back