Let's talk beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
beers with green glass bottles

... must be kept in the dark and not be exposed to light, or the taste is negatively affected. Beer is photosensitive. This issue is addressed by dark brown bottles. Most breweries have at least some of their usually light colored beer in green bottles because it just looks better.

True for most, but there are some brews out there that require sunlight to get their particular taste. Corona is one the comes to mind, that's why I can't stand that junk.

wow first post in 05!!!! Thats crazy. Forgive me for not reading all 47 pages but I have to say if you want to tase portland oregon you have to try Mactarnahans amber ale, or if your from portland Macs. It is what all oregon ambers try to be. Rogue, deshutes, full sail, widmere bros., henry winhards, bridgeport, are also great oregon choices. As far as imports go Bass pale ale get my vote! DEEEEELISHIOUS!

Last edited:
Having a Paulaner Salvator Double Bock right now, 7.9% alcohol.

Anyone ever try one?

I do like the Spaten Optimator better.

Miller does some sort of chemical engineering to their hops, so they don't become skunky when light struck. That's why they can get away with clear bottles. (High Life, MGD)

Any color glass except brown is junk. Cans are best (for not getting skunked)

When beer is exposed to full sunlight the hop acids will begin to break down in a matter of MINUTES.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Having a Paulaner Salvator Double Bock right now, 7.9% alcohol.

Anyone ever try one?

I do like the Spaten Optimator better.

Ayinger, Spaten, and Paulaner make excellent Doppelbock. I favor Optimator. You may want to try Schneider Aventinus (8.2%), another Bavarian Doppelbock, if you can find it. Doppelbock is liquid bread!
wink.gif

Just had the new Sam Adams Double Bock. It's OK, but DogFish is much better. Have yet to have anything better than the DogFish IPA's.

just had some Widmer bros Drifter last night at the portland beavers game and it was really good!
Floral grapefruit goodness! But no fake flavors added, it just tastes that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Sam Adams has a new line out called "Imperial". Have not tried it yet. Bought a 4 pack tonight. $10. 10.5% alc.

I also picked up their "Blackberry Witbier", winner of the 2008 Beer Lover's award. lol. It's very good.

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/newsletter/imperial_email/WOT_Mailer.html
I picked up a pack of this for a cookout tonight since I was in the mood for something fruity (no jokes please). I thought it was pretty tasty, but there's nothing too delicate in it to be lost after a few of them. The BA reviews were basically spot on. The "Orange Blossom cream ale" (which sounded interesting too) parked alongside it, however, was trash. I'm not even bothering to bring it. Tastes like orange soda. Beer milkshake maybe?

Originally Posted By: Julian
Originally Posted By: buster
Sam Adams has a new line out called "Imperial". Have not tried it yet. Bought a 4 pack tonight. $10. 10.5% alc.

I also picked up their "Blackberry Witbier", winner of the 2008 Beer Lover's award. lol. It's very good.

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/newsletter/imperial_email/WOT_Mailer.html
I picked up a pack of this for a cookout tonight since I was in the mood for something fruity (no jokes please). I thought it was pretty tasty, but there's nothing too delicate in it to be lost after a few of them. The BA reviews were basically spot on. The "Orange Blossom cream ale" (which sounded interesting too) parked alongside it, however, was trash. I'm not even bothering to bring it. Tastes like orange soda. Beer milkshake maybe?

Something fruity hea?
LOL.gif

Chilling out tonight with a few brews. Started off with a Fosters "oil can". Pretty standard lawnmower pale lager, I think the can was cooler than the beer.

Now enjoying a few Surly "Bitter Brewer". Modeled after an English bitter or mild. Low ABV (4%) so you can drink a few without getting stewed.

Love a good Doppel!

Homewbrew rocks! Porters, Brown Ales, Stouts, etc. Don't yet have equipment to make a proper Lager, so have to go with ale yeast in a Bock wort. Half the price of store beer and usually very good.

-Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back