Prop Tax surcharge

Transmission charge

Environmental charge

Energy efficiency charge

Franchise fee

sales tax

in addition to the energy charge, which is about half the total in my case

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

We've never something called a "distribution charge".

Oh good, then they lump all the costs of doing business into one number.

My electric bill in winter months average about $30-35/mo and drops to $25-30/mo in summer, we use approximately 300-350 KWH's a month sine we changed to CFL about 8-10 years ago. Before that we used about 400-450 KWH's a month.

We use less electric in summer because the light is on shorter, and we don't have air conditioning.

Update:

We received our February electric bill today. This was the first full month that we've had the LED bulbs in use. Given the cold weather I had would have expected a bill somewhere around $90-95 if I was still using conventional bulbs. It was $67. We were colder than last year (heating system ran more) but we used almost $1/day less in electricity. I expect that to decrease as the days get longer, but in the fall/winter I expect more savings as we use the lights more.

There have been no problems at all with any of the LED bulbs. I'm very pleased with both the savings and the performance of the LED bulbs, and we're on track for a 3-4 year payback on the initial investment.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys.

There is an opinion among many here in Tennessee. It goes something like this:
If EVERYONE changed their bulbs over to LED's it would have a dramatic effect on the total amount of kilowatts saved from the electric companies. The electric companies costs are fixed (salaries, cost to lay out wiring, burying wiring, administrative costs). What do you think the electric companies are going to do?

The answer: Raise the rates to recoup what they lost. Can't say that I wouldn't be surprised. It's the American way. Consumers are NOT going to end up saving money in the long run. Case in point: As many cars are becoming more fuel efficient, many states are not bringing in enough road tax and gasoline revenue, like they did before. The states say they need to increase the rates to fix all of these pot holes.

I had would have expected a bill somewhere around $90-95 if I was still using conventional bulbs. It was $67.

Our utility shows graphs and provides numbers associated with the energy use. With that one can calculate if it is lighting loads (since you know roughly how much use and what the draw is/was).

Long story short, does the savings you see match your expectations? I assume your greater loads are HVAC and well pumps?

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Case in point: As many cars are becoming more fuel efficient, many states are not bringing in enough road tax and gasoline revenue, like they did before. The states say they need to increase the rates to fix all of these pot holes.

True story. Some states actually have extra tax for hybrid cars: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/car...ditional_Taxes/

Same thing will happen to LED lights. Give it enough time.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Best F100
Case in point: As many cars are becoming more fuel efficient, many states are not bringing in enough road tax and gasoline revenue, like they did before. The states say they need to increase the rates to fix all of these pot holes.

True story. Some states actually have extra tax for hybrid cars: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/car...ditional_Taxes/

Same thing will happen to LED lights. Give it enough time.

OT but Im not so sure about that. Industry still has its big draws, HVAC still has its effect, etc. Those arent going to change much because Rankine and production of torque and other basis of operating loads may not change much from here. Plus, a LOT of lighting has been fluorescent for a long while, so LED is only incremental from there.

Utilities are still highly reliant on operating peaker plants and playing electrical arbitrage due to the swings and changes in demand. I would suspect that changes in consumer lighting, which is really a small total amount and not a big driver for peaking of plants, wouldnt do that much in terms of overall energy sold. Plus, as the economy grows, demand should too.

Many interconnects are overloaded and utilities are looking at installing batteries and other storage approaches in order to smooth demand because many areas are hitting ampacity limits.

Sure, but does it not save fossil fuels? And at least lower costs for a few years?

It's a good reminder though. Also: might as well jump on the bandwagon now, rather than wait until you still have high energy bills *and* then they raise rates. Although, it's possible that bulb prices will have dropped considerably (or you could start buying used bulbs--that's a question--will you be able to pick up 2 or 3 generation old bulbs for pennies on the dollar?).

I am little bit surprised at the savings! I thought OP was already using mostly CFL. I am having hard time believing that a person of OP's caliber was throwing money away by using incandescent lights all these years. My calculations shows that he literally wasted 30x12x7 = $2500 in the last seven years by sticking with incandescent lights. By all indications (i.e. every single reply made by him) shows that he is NOT of the type to waste a dime. Anybody else surprised?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I thought OP was already using mostly CFL.

If you read the original post you'd realize that most of the bulbs that I had were GE Reveal bulbs. I had a couple of CFL's, but I never cared for them. Some of the first ones that I tried (several years ago) managed to burn out within a few months and the color was awful. A couple were ok, but I didn't care for the warm up time, and dimmable CFL's are an expensive joke (most of our fixtures that take A19 style bulbs are dimmable).

We also have a lot of recessed lighting that takes a GU10 bulb. The GU10 CFL's are absolutely horrid and I was happy to use halogens and pay the premium.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am having hard time believing that a person of OP's caliber was throwing money away by using incandescent lights all these years. My calculations shows that he literally wasted 30x12x7 = $2500 in the last seven years by sticking with incandescent lights. By all indications (i.e. every single reply made by him) shows that he is NOT of the type to waste a dime. Anybody else surprised?

You're certainly welcome to believe what you like. The simple fact is that I don't care for CFL bulbs and, in my opinion they weren't worth the savings they offered. I also didn't want to crawl up and down a 10' ladder replacing prematurely burned out CFL bulbs.

I had a few bulbs burned out in the high fixtures, and the price of LED bulbs had come down to a reasonable level (I never would have made the switch if LED's were still in the $25-$40 range). So the timing was right, the LED price was right, and I'm happy with the light from LEDs, which I wasn't with CFLs.

Does this explain my actions and motivations to your satisfaction, or do I need to shed even more light on it?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I had would have expected a bill somewhere around $90-95 if I was still using conventional bulbs. It was $67.

Our utility shows graphs and provides numbers associated with the energy use. With that one can calculate if it is lighting loads (since you know roughly how much use and what the draw is/was).

Long story short, does the savings you see match your expectations? I assume your greater loads are HVAC and well pumps?

We don't have a well-we're on rural water so there is no well pump. A lot of the balance is HVAC and probably shop lighting. I have fairly large lighting fixtures in the shop, and since I don't have windows in the shop any time I'm out there in the winter the lights are all on.

Perhaps someday I'll consider changing those over to LED, but at 70 years old I'm not sure if I'd ever see the payback on a couple thousand dollars worth of new fixtures.

Yeah its pretty good load if you consider how many big bulbs one can have operating in a large space. But I agree. LEDs that throw that kind of light (unless you did something like get a bunch of PAR38 125W equivalent LEDs) would be a lot of $$$.

I assume your large fixtures arent even fluorescent? If they are, then you wont see a practical payback period regardless of age.

but at 70 years old

My dad turns 70 years young this month on the 20th.
thumbsup2.gif

I stocked up on TW bulbs in eco-friendly cardbox packing. I like them better than the fancy packed Feit BR30
pACE3-16037337enh-z6.jpg
. TW are little whiter and brighter whereas Feit has more incandescent tint. There s some mismatch with the length of the Feit. I am suspecting the base is hair short and it does not work in all the fixtures. I had no such problems with TW bulbs.

I don't know why I am doing this though. I already have stock of CFL which will last me lifetime. I suspect LED bulbs will be eventually priced just like CFL (aka cheap) and stocking now is a mistake but I am afraid that there will not be any more of those TW lights next time I need them.

I am doing an experiment in my kitchen with Cree 60w-75w equivalents.

My main concern all are in (5) fixures that are enclosed and high ceilings without AC in the summer. I am wondering about longevity vs purchase price.

I also notice you cannot dim them as well(still relatively bright) compared to incadenscent bulbs.

So my energy use is now reduced from 72Wx5 to 13.5wx5. I do end up replacing incandescents every 6 months due to vibration from kids room above and nearby front load washer resonating. I am hoping LED do not suffer vibration problems.

Thanks for thread you inspired me to drop the $10/bulb at Home Depot with energy rebate.

How critical is it that you not use these types of bulbs in enclosed spaces?

I have two very difficult to reach light fixtures in my foyer that I wanted to throw some Cree LED bulbs in, but they're enclosed fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back