Home Depot to stop selling incandescent lightbulbs July 31st.

I am a big fan of quality LED bulbs. One thing that can be done, "IF" set up correctly, is to use what would be considered "too much light", then dim to the appropriate level. No orange tint or other artifacts. Just the proper amount of light for conditions.

Definitely prefer incandescents over LED and CFL for the low range dimming ability. I use incandescent bulbs in the hall and bathroom light fixtures and run those way down low. The LEDs are too bright at their lowest reliable setting and if the power glitches off for whatever reason they won't come back on. Have to adjust the dimmer higher to get them to turn on, then turn them lower to the desired brightness. The LEDs have been very reliable for me too. Have 4 in the kitchen ceiling fixture that are going on 10 years. Forget CFLs! Built-in ballasts burn out, turning the plastic housing brown or black before they fail. Otherwise I use dimmable 3000 to 4000K LEDs which put out a nice slightly warm light. Stocked up on incandescent bulbs at Walmart a while back. Ought to carry me through this life.

My nat gas stove uses a 40W incandescent in the oven. Funny thing about the claimed hazard of natural gas stoves. We've had a couple of parrots for nearly 45 years. No ill effects at all. So much for the "canary in a coal mine" theory.

The Home Depot is one of those corporations that will roll over and play dead at the drop of a hat.
Umm, yeah if you say so... let's see what they really think though...
How is any store going to obtain for sale a product that is banned from being manufactured or imported? Do they have bulb-pooping unicorns in the back room?

I have 13 high hat fixtures that take BR40. I have 4 later model high hats that take BR30. Perhaps half of these(if that) are on at any one time. Some are never used and the ones that are used are always dimmed. No flickering, no problems. I have enough BR30 and BR40 bulbs stockpiled to outlast me. If you want reasonable 60 watt incandescent bulbs that will last forever shop for rough service bulbs.

Perhaps the technology is getting there? idk
Have a few that either dimmed pretty bad, flicker and/or died well before the advertised 50000-100000 hours.
If planned obsolescence wasn't engineering into everything now, then we can have an LED bulb that will last 10 years but it seems we are moving towards an e-waste society IMHO.
Good news is this leaves some items for small online specialty retailers to sell.
Unfortunately there will be no aftermarket:

'The new definition issued today will become effective 60 days after publication in the Federal Register, while the implementation of the Congressional efficacy standard will become effective 75 days after publication in the Federal Register. DOE has concurrently announced an enforcement policy that allows for a managed transition helping entities all along the distribution chain, including manufacturers, importers, private labelers, distributors, and retailers adjust their production and inventory. The enforcement policy contains two parts: a period of enforcement leniency and a period of progressive enforcement with an emphasis on transitioning production first."

You know I always wanted to buy some vintage turn of the century light bulbs. The really old school ones with weird and oversized designs. I consider them works of art. There is no exclusion for vintage bulbs in the law. I guess I will have to tap into the underground black market of vintage lightbulbs. :cry: :LOL:

Last edited:
one look at people today + its EZE to see the bad effects of many UNHEALTHY recommendations + ALL this SMART junk is included!! manufacturers could care LESS as long as the $$$$ roll in, junk food, fake food, smart meters as well as TOO much cell phone use, pay me now or pay me later!! besides sleep issues LED's are said to be BAD for eye health, HUBERMAN LABS notes the benefits of getting natural light in early morning as well as evenings as your EYES are the ONLY part of your neural network OUTSIDE the body!!

Last edited:
If planned obsolescence wasn't engineering into everything now, then we can have an LED bulb that will last 10 years but it seems we are moving towards an e-waste society IMHO.

Unfortunately there will be no aftermarket:

'The new definition issued today will become effective 60 days after publication in the Federal Register, while the implementation of the Congressional efficacy standard will become effective 75 days after publication in the Federal Register. DOE has concurrently announced an enforcement policy that allows for a managed transition helping entities all along the distribution chain, including manufacturers, importers, private labelers, distributors, and retailers adjust their production and inventory. The enforcement policy contains two parts: a period of enforcement leniency and a period of progressive enforcement with an emphasis on transitioning production first."

You know I always wanted to buy some vintage turn of the century light bulbs. The really old school ones with weird and oversized designs. I consider them works of art. There is no exclusion for vintage bulbs in the law. I guess I will have to tap into the underground black market of vintage lightbulbs. :cry: :LOL:
Gee, I wish there was “progressive enforcement “ when it came to other things that’s wrong with this country. I guess as soon as everyone turns in their gas stoves and incandescent bulbs we can get on to other things.

Definitely prefer incandescents over LED and CFL for the low range dimming ability. I use incandescent bulbs in the hall and bathroom light fixtures and run those way down low. The LEDs are too bright at their lowest reliable setting and if the power glitches off for whatever reason they won't come back on. Have to adjust the dimmer higher to get them to turn on, then turn them lower to the desired brightness. The LEDs have been very reliable for me too. Have 4 in the kitchen ceiling fixture that are going on 10 years. Forget CFLs! Built-in ballasts burn out, turning the plastic housing brown or black before they fail. Otherwise I use dimmable 3000 to 4000K LEDs which put out a nice slightly warm light. Stocked up on incandescent bulbs at Walmart a while back. Ought to carry me through this life.

My nat gas stove uses a 40W incandescent in the oven. Funny thing about the claimed hazard of natural gas stoves. We've had a couple of parrots for nearly 45 years. No ill effects at all. So much for the "canary in a coal mine" theory.
Most people can only think what their media tells them to think.

I'm wondering what to do with an old Easy-Bake oven.

I do remember when I could get a 4-pack of GE Soft White in 25-100W. But for the most part I use very little light around the home. In my living room I have a single small light bulb and at night I get around the house with small flashlights.
What about oven bulbs? Are there any led bulbs that won't melt in the oven with its high temps?

According to California's definition of a general service lamp (the regulations DO NOT apply to lamps not considered general service lamps) https://www.energy.ca.gov/rules-and...s-title-20/appliance-efficiency-proceedings-1

General service lamps do not include:

(1) Appliance lamps
(2) Black light lamps
(3) Bug lamps
(4) Colored lamps
(5) G shape lamps with a diameter of 5 inches or more as defined in ANSI C79.1- 2002
(6) General service fluorescent lamps
(7) High intensity discharge lamps
(8) Infrared lamps
(9) J, JC, JCD, JCS, JCV, JCX, JD, JS, and JT shape lamps that do not have Edison screw bases
(10) Lamps that have a wedge base or prefocus base
(11) Left-hand thread lamps
(12) Marine lamps
(13) Marine signal service lamps
(14) Mine service lamps
(15) MR shape lamps that have a first number symbol equal to 16 (diameter equal to 2 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002, operate at 12 volts, and have a lumen output greater than or equal to 800
(16) Other fluorescent lamps
(17) Plant light lamps
(18) R20 short lamps
(19) Reflector lamps that have a first number symbol less than 16 (diameter less than 2 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 and that do not have E26/E24, E26d, E26/50x39, E26/53x39, E29/28, E29/53x39, E39, E39d, EP39, or EX39 bases
(20) S shape or G shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 12.5 (diameter less than or equal to 1.5625 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1- 2002
(21) Sign service lamps
(22) Silver bowl lamps
(23) Showcase lamps
(24) Specialty MR lamps
(25) T shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 8 (diameter less than or equal to 1 inch) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002, nominal overall length less than 12 inches and that are not compact fluorescent lamps
(26) Traffic signal lamps

Traffic signal lamps are available in 63 watt and 110 watt versions, and are slightly larger than a normal bulb. But they are a bit expensive, about $4 a bulb from the pricing I saw.

That is the same as the federal exempt list.

11. I'm converting all my sockets to left hand thread. No way anyone's going to find an LED for that.

There is a "tripwire" in the law: if sales of exempt bulbs increase too much because people are moving them to general applications, they may be regulated.

That is the same as the federal exempt list.

11. I'm converting all my sockets to left hand thread. No way anyone's going to find an LED for that.

There is a "tripwire" in the law: if sales of exempt bulbs increase too much because people are moving them to general applications, they may be regulated.

I doubt it will ever come to that. Aren't they really expensive, and for the most part people understand that the big cost is going to be in electricity and not in the purchase price. As well as a reduced lifespan.

I didn't finish my thought earlier. I remember when I could get a 4-pack of GE Soft White bulbs for 88 cents. But it could be a real pain replacing a bulb. In my bedroom the fixture is right above the bed. I could stand on it, but it doesn't feel that secure, like I can fall over.

Idk I guess I’m weird and like LED lamps. No excess heat in the summer and mine seem to last for years. I can’t remember the last time I had one burn out, maybe a year ago?
Definitely. You have to buy the ge or Luxeon (can't remember) those have heavy duty heat sinks and last a long time. The cheapo $1 varieties fail fairly quickly.

Back