Latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of 2023 January - Is it still a good choice?

About every Endurance offered at Walmart.com is $12.97. AAP has the Titaniums for $12.49, except for the FS9100 for my BBC which is $33.49!!! The Endurance version at Walmart is $12.97......... Looks like I'm returning the Titaniums.

Endurance still cheaper than the Amsoil version, which is pretty much identical.

Last edited:
I think the later days of the wire-backed Ultra was also a synthetic blend based on Fram's website. If the Titaniums have the wire-backed media then it's most likely the same as the Ultras that were wire backed. If the Titanium is wire-baked, then I'd use them.
Thanks for the reply, I was typing & researching when you posted. I think the blend took up too much room for the wire backing to be there.

If I can see the wire backing, yes, but for the lower price on the big one, might be worth just taking them all back. I did get the 20% discount, had to add the big one to get the free shipping. Ship to store was not available.

Is the wire backing only a concern for long OCI's? I am still using either the ultra or the M1, whichever is on sale at Canadian Tire. I'm not going past 0% on my olm, which means 5k miles maximum for my work truck, in dusty conditions. I change the filter every OCI these days.

Is the wire backing only a concern for long OCI's? I am still using either the ultra or the M1, whichever is on sale at Canadian Tire. I'm not going past 0% on my olm, which means 5k miles maximum for my work truck, in dusty conditions. I change the filter every OCI these days.
Wire backing typically means the media is full synthetic, which is not rigid. Absence of wire means the media is pretty rigid and will "stand up" on its own, typically cellulose or synthetic/cellulose blend, which will not flow as well as full synthetic. The new Ultra, & now Titanium, use two layers, one rigid synthetic blend, one not rigid full synthetic. For long OCI, you want the full synthetic which will hold more before plugging, or raising the delta p to the point that previously trapped particles are broken loose. Hence the 25K mileage rating on the full synth, & 20K on the blend.

It's not only a concern for long OCI, it's a concern for filtering efficiency as well. Fram says it's new 2 layer media (synth layer over a blend layer) actually has a higher efficiency, but they increased the media area because it will not flow as well, so more media=less resistance to flow. The finest filter in the world will do you no good if it's always in bypass because the media is too restricted, or higher delta p so it won't hold onto the particles it has already trapped.

The new Ultra, & now Titanium, use two layers, one rigid synthetic blend, one not rigid full synthetic. For long OCI, you want the full synthetic which will hold more before plugging, or raising the delta p to the point that previously trapped particles are broken loose. Hence the 25K mileage rating on the full synth, & 20K on the blend.
The Ultra "up to use mileage rating" didn't change from 20K when the media changed. Neither did the efficiency rating. Keep in mind that the total media area also plays a factor, and the total media area went up on the Ultra when the media changed.

Also, the PureOne way back (also synthetic blend media) was rated as high efficiency and high holding capacity, and flowed well (meaning low dP vs flow), but PureOnes had lots of media area also.

The Ultra "up to use mileage rating" didn't change from 20K when the media changed. Neither did the efficiency rating. Keep in mind that the total media area also plays a factor, and the total media area went up on the Ultra when the media changed.

Also, the PureOne way back (also synthetic blend media) was rated as high efficiency and high holding capacity, and flowed well (meaning low dP vs flow), but PureOnes had lots of media area also.
Actually, the efficiency rating went up slightly with the media change. It has been said the media area increase was to compensate for the lower flow rating of the cellulose/synthetic blend.

The Pure One also had tearing issues, which may show up with the new Ultra, & now Titanium media, since they are using similar media.

Whip City Wrencher took apart a Titanium & an Ultra 8 months ago, the Titanium had metal wire mesh backing, & a substantially thicker full synthetic media than the 2 layer Ultra with no wire mesh. Fram chat now says Titanium has no wire mesh, just the metal core ;-)

Actually, the efficiency rating went up slightly with the media change. It has been said the media area increase was to compensate for the lower flow rating of the cellulose/synthetic blend.
If you're referring to the old email from Fram showing better efficiency at 15u on the new Ultra, maybe that's so on the specific filter they were referencing. But I'm talking about the efficiency rating statement for the Ultra shown on Fram's website. The old Ultra with wire-backed media was also shown as 99%+ at greater than 20u, and so is the new Ultra non-wire baked media.

1685907205342.png

The Pure One also had tearing issues, which may show up with the new Ultra, & now Titanium media, since they are using similar media.
Yes, possible with any non-wire backed media if the pleat spacing is out of control.

If you're referring to the old email from Fram showing better efficiency at 15u on the new Ultra, maybe that's so on the specific filter they were referencing. But I'm talking about the efficiency rating statement for the Ultra shown on Fram's website. The old Ultra with wire-backed media was also shown as 99%+ at greater than 20u, and so is the new Ultra non-wire baked media.

View attachment 159415

Yes, possible with any non-wire backed media if the pleat spacing is out of control.
Yup, I'm not super confident in that e-mail, which I've noted several times in these discussions, lol. I'd like to see it actually tested, since we have that data for the original XG.

Looks like it is.........

I just purchased this Fram Ultra Synthetic filter a couple of weeks ago XG5. Stamped stainless steel media closure, wire mesh media backing.

IMG-6369.jpg

wire.jpg

I just purchased this Fram Ultra Synthetic filter a couple of weeks ago XG5. Stamped stainless steel media closure, wire mesh media backing.

View attachment 160291
View attachment 160290

View attachment 160291
View attachment 160290
XG5 must be a slow moving item, & they had older ones in stock. Do you have the date code from the outside of the can? I have received 5 year old filters from AAP in the past.

If you don't like the modern UItra, either buy the Fram Endurance or the Tough Guard. I have seen one photo on the forum that appears to possibly be a tear on the new Ultra. We have seen metal end cap models once revered become cheapened and have numerous issues with tearing. Has anyone on here seen one example in the last ten years of a tough guard tearing? I know I haven't. I was skeptical of the former rep from Fram claims about the fiber end disks but take a step back, look at the results between the two and where does the evidence point? I prefer full synthetic filter with wire backing but the fiber end disks media while not pretty and looking cheap seems to hold up just fine.

I received my Titaniums from AAP, FS10575, FS3980, & FS9100. 10575 is pretty common, fits GM 3.6 V6 among others. 3980 a little less common, fits older GM 3.1, 3.4 V6, 9100 I use for my '71 BBC so it's not a fast mover.

Both the 10575 & 3980 had no wire mesh that I could see inside through the holes in the core. Couldn't make out the date codes, they stamped them on the grip coating, not legible. The 9100, however, did have the wire screen (mesh) visible through the holes, the date code was readable: A01111, so April 20, 2020? That was old stock, & probably good, but it was $30!! I returned all of them.

The boxes all said wire screen, as shown in Whip City Wrencher's video above, but they don't have it. Unless as the chat person said, they are referring to the metal core as a "screen" as opposed to a "mesh" supporting the media.

XG5 must be a slow moving item, & they had older ones in stock. Do you have the date code from the outside of the can? I have received 5 year old filters from AAP in the past.
The larger diameter filters are still being produced with a wire back, I can't tell from the photos if they're using the new hybrid media or if that's the old 100% microglass media from those photos.

It's tough to understand Farm's marketing and product strategies.

1. They removed the wire backing from the Ultra but have maintained its price at $8.97.
2. They removed the wire backing from the Titanium and have maintained its price at $12.49. And its features and performance are the same as the Ultra.
3. The Titanium is a specialty filter for Advance Auto Parts only and as stated above has the same performance as the $8.97 Ultra.
4. They recently price reduced the Tough Guard that was already the top value oil filter to buy and now its even better value. :)
5. Their highest performing retail filter Endurance is only available at Walmart.

I know the importance for companies to always be introducing new and better products to stay competitive and healthy. But it feels like clutter and confusion is being created combined with defeaturing to cut costs that is devaluing the product to the consumer.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that Fram sells 90+% of their product to various OEMs and other companies that rebrand. The retail market which we look at is a small part of their business, but Walmart is probably 90% of that segment. Advance likes to purchase something that is unique to them so people aren't making direct comparisons to the pricing at Walmart, which is almost always lower. Therefore you get the Titanium, which is basically an Ultra with a different paint job and a higher price tag. The reason they decontented the Ultras and introduced the Endurance at Walmart is they wanted to raise prices and profit, and people hate it when a product is reduced in quality but sells for the same price. However, they are willing to pay more for a product that they think is of higher quality. The average Joe buying filters at WM will never know the Ultras have been reduced in quality, but they may be tempted to upgrade to the new thing on the block--the Endurance.

1. They removed the wire backing from the Ultra but have maintained its price at $8.97.
2. They removed the wire backing from the Titanium and have maintained its price at $12.49. And its features and performance are the same as the Ultra.
3. The Titanium is a specialty filter for Advance Auto Parts only and as stated above has the same performance as the $8.97 Ultra.
4. They recently price reduced the Tough Guard that was already the top value oil filter to buy and now its even better value. :)
5. Their highest performing retail filter Endurance is only available at Walmart.

I know the importance for companies to always be introducing new and better products to stay competitive and healthy. But it feels like clutter and confusion is being created combined with defeaturing to cut costs that is devaluing the product to the consumer.
The exclusiveness of the Titanium for AAP and the Endurance for Walmart is an off-shoot from the main Fram line, and the prices are determined by AAP and Walmart, not Fram. Also, I'm betting AAP and Walmart have a say on how those two filters are built with collaboration with Fram engineers.

IMO, the wire backing was removed from the Ultra and Titanium as a cost cutting move to try and keep the price the same in today inflationary economy.

IMO, the wire backing was removed from the Ultra and Titanium as a cost cutting move to try and keep the price the same in today inflationary economy.
The wire removal was started & carried out before inflation was an issue. Seems to be another example of share holders best interest before customers’.

Perhaps they looked at Purolator’s Pure One construction & price point, & decided they should follow suit. So now the Ultra & Pure One are similarly built & priced.

Last edited:
Back