Latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of 2023 January - Is it still a good choice?

Quick question...I use the 7317 filters from Fram in the TG/FU line. If...I were to switch to the Supertech filter line that's the 20,000 ....what number do I need? Thanks 👍

Quick question...I use the 7317 filters from Fram in the TG/FU line. If...I were to switch to the Supertech filter line that's the 20,000 ....what number do I need? Thanks 👍
7317 is the proper filter for both my Nissan's and the Supertech MP 7317 says on the box that its compatible with TG7317, Mobil1 M1-110A, and K&N SO-1010 - but if I punch my Nissan in to Walmart site it gives me a smaller filter. I have a MP7317 on one of my Nissan's now.

I want to like the latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of the time of this post (2023 January).

I want to use Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317 filters for all my vehicles since it still has a rating of 99%+ efficiency @ 20 microns, and one of the highest filtration efficiencies of any filter at 15 microns and 10 microns.

But, I've read so many posts on this forum about how Fram was bought out by a company called "First Brands", who is repeatedly
cheapening the Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter to increase their profit.

Cost cutting resulted in:

[1] Removal of the wire backing, which is causing the filter pleats to be wavy instead of straight after only a few thousand miles of use.

[2] Moving from Synthetic Microglass filter media to a synthetic blend media with only a thin layer of synthetic media bonded to a Cellulose media?
Please correct me if I am wrong on this point.

[3] People finding fuzzy hairs all on the filter media (possibly from the Fram Ultra Synthetic filters made in Brazil).
The fear is that these fuzzy hairs could detach from the filter and mix with the engine oil, causing engine wear.

So, is Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters still a 1st choice despite all the cost cutting, or should it be avoided due to the reductions in quality by "First Brands"?

Would I be better off using a lower efficiency OEM filter than to use a Fram Ultra filter if the Fram Ultra is infested with hairy fuzz or possibly harmful due to other cost cutting in the internals of the filter or filter media.

Thanks in advance for your insight and advise.
Good to know. Thanks for the report. Been running these for the past year.

I picked up 3 XG2 today, 2 are date code A23141 the other is date code A21801

Was surprised, it looks like all 3 of them have pink media and wire behind the center tube holes. The A23141 ones are 2022, day 314? Which is November 10. There is actually one more that I left on the shelf, I might go back and check it out because it would be nice to have a stash of them. I put 6K miles per year on my vehicle, I figure I can keep the filter for a whole year and just change the oil every 6 months (before extreme cold, before extreme hot)

Maybe this is the answer:

Fram Synthetic Endurance
On that site they state the Titanium has synthetic blend media with wire backing, the Endurance (exact duplicate of Royal Purple & Amsoil) has wire backed full synthetic media. I asked Fram if the Titanium had the same wire backed media that the original Ultra had. This was the response:

Image 6-3-23 at 8.01 AM.jpg

Welcome to FRAM Filter LiveChat

Name:
Subject

Product Information

Show more
Christian 07:46 AM
Hello. May I help you find the right FRAM filter?

07:46 AM​
I just received a reply, I have follow up questions

You have been transferred to: Dawn.
Dawn 07:50 AM
how can I help?

Dawn has closed the chat.
Name:

Show less
Dawn 08:06 AM
Hello. May I help you find the right FRAM filter?

08:06 AM​
Hi Dawn, sorry I missed your response

Heres the original question I asked last night:
Dawn 08:06 AM
hi

08:07 AM​
Image 6-3-23 at 8.01 AM.jpg

You website says the Titanium has wire backed media
Dawn 08:07 AM
What kind of vehicle do you have?

08:08 AM​
2020 Chevy Chassis, 6.0, Motorhome

Lot of high RPM operation, 6.0 is gasoline engine

I really liked the older design Ultra Synthetic, with the fully synthetic wire backed media. Which line now uses that?
Dawn 08:13 AM
Titanium does not have a mesh to hold the media I do apologize.

https://www.fram.com/products/oil-filters/titanium

08:14 AM​
So when will you correct the website?

I just ordered 4 Titanium filters from Advance Auto, you're saying the product is mis represented?
Dawn 08:16 AM
Im not seeing the statement on our site stating that it is wire backed

08:17 AM​
Again, which product, if any, offers the wire backed synthetic media previously offered in the Ultra?
Dawn 08:17 AM
in the link i provided you can see how it is put together and ther is no metal mesh supporting the media

08:18 AM​
What? Are you serious? Follow the link you just sent, & click on "media"
Dawn 08:19 AM
this is not to hold the media up. THis is to help trap more dirt. The OLD design had a metal mesh to help the media stand which we do not offer any more

08:19 AM​
Image 6-3-23 at 8.18 AM.jpg
Dawn 08:20 AM
https://www.fram.com/products/oil-filters/synthetic-endurance

Dawn 08:21 AM
The endurance now has the metal mesh screen that the ultra once had

08:22 AM​
That is only available at Walmart?
Dawn 08:22 AM
yes

08:22 AM​
Is it manufactured by Champion Labs?

So just to clarify, the Titanium does NOT have the metal screen backed media?
Dawn 08:27 AM
image.png

that is the metal screen that is mentioned to help capture dirt

Champ labs is not the manufacturer

08:28 AM​
Champ labs does not manufacture Endurance?
Read
Dawn 08:31 AM
no

Dawn has closed the chat.

Last edited:
Bottom line ... the Titanium is going down the same route as the Ultra and doing away with the wire backed media. Just like the Ultra, there may still be some models of the Titanium in the AAP stores that still have the wire backed media. Bring your strong LED flashlight to inspect for the wire backing through the center tube is the best way to verify.

I laugh when people contact manufacturers and expect legit answers. You get some non-technical clown from some generic call/message center that provides minimal info, or incorrect info, or clueless info. They can't even update a website until months after everyone notices a change in the product.

Really is no point unless you can contact someone on the factory floor for that specific and recent part number.

Everything is always in a state of flux. Mergers/acquisitions continue forever. Enjoy the global asset management firms.

Ultra/Titanium are not on my buy list anymore, and I wonder if walmart corporate noticed a drop in sales and twisted their buying power for the FramEndurance filter. Quick, paint those RoyalPurple's with a different color and toss the Fram logo on it before we lose all the wallfart shelf space.

Bottom line ... the Titanium is going down the same route as the Ultra and doing away with the wire backed media. Just like the Ultra, there may still be some models of the Titanium in the AAP stores that still have the wire backed media. Bring your strong LED flashlight to inspect for the wire backing through the center tube is the best way to verify.
Apparently so......

I can return the Titaniums at my local CarQuest, but let me ask you this: If I see the wire backing, would that indicate full synthetic? I think those might have louvers as the Amsoil version does, might be hard to see.....

I laugh when people contact manufacturers and expect legit answers. You get some non-technical clown from some generic call/message center that provides minimal info, or incorrect info, or clueless info. They can't even update a website until months after everyone notices a change in the product.

Ya, I like the part where she circled the core & said that is the metal screen that helps capture dirt.......

Last edited:
Apparently so......

I can return the Titaniums at my local CarQuest, but let me ask you this: If I see the wire backing, would that indicate full synthetic? I think those might have louvers as the Amsoil version does, might be hard to see.....

Ya, I like the part where she circled the core & said that is the metal screen that helps capture dirt.......

Maybe this will help . Scroll down PAGE 2 .

I can return the Titaniums at my local CarQuest, but let me ask you this: If I see the wire backing, would that indicate full synthetic?
I think the later days of the wire-backed Ultra was also a synthetic blend based on Fram's website. If the Titaniums have the wire-backed media then it's most likely the same as the Ultras that were wire backed. If the Titanium is wire-baked, then I'd use them.

Back