KTM recommends 10w-50, looking for options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the thread title says.. I have a KTM 990 SM-T and recommended oil (above 32F) is 10w-50 Motorex or 5w-40 Motorex at lower temps. The KTM dealer doesn't even stock the 10w-50, instead recommending 10w-40 or 15w-50.

Brand isn't my issue at all, but the grade is. At $16/liter, the Motorex is simply cost prohibitive. The problem is that every other 10w-50 is very near that price and all are tough to source easily. (The dealer is 70 miles away)

At the moment, it has 15w-50 in it, but I'd like to find a cheaper and quality alternative.
I've read the articles on the site until my eyes have bled...so I'm looking for experienced opinions.

Will 10w-40 give me problems if I'm riding on the street and highways at a sane pace? (Engine speeds around 5-6K RPM for extended periods, with accel rpm up to 9K)
I can get 10w-40 4T Mobile 1 locally and at a reasonable price. I can get 15w-50 Mobile 1 (auto) for a few bucks less and I run it in my Triumph already, which is correct grade for it.

It seems to me that the 15w-50 would be wear things more on start, but the 10w-40 may require more frequent changes. Maybe I should just try the 10w-40 and get it analyzed.

And yeah...I've tinkered with the 5w-40 Rotella idea too....it never ends.

PS, please be gentle, I'm new here.

Last edited:
I'm running Mobil 1 15w-50 in my BMW right now and it's behaving wonderfully. At $26 for the 5-quart jug at WM, it's a pretty good deal. I've also got 2 gallons of Red Line 5w-50 that I may use next or sell if I stick with the M1.

Unless you're riding in freezing temperatures, 15w-50 is fine. The Rotella T6 would not be a bad choice if you're riding in very cold weather

From what Ive seen the only advantage to a 10W-50 Synthetic in high-performance 4S Off-Road Bikes is it seems to take longer to get down to a minimum acceptable viscosity.

From what Ive seen cheap Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40 changed at shorter intervals seems to work as well as anything.

That said if you need the longer intervals in the 990 the M1 15W-50 is likely going to be the best common off the shelf affordable oil.

I have a Polaris Outlaw 4-wheeler with a 450cc KTM RFS engine, the recommended oil is Motorex 20w60. When I read that in the owner's manual I about fell out of the chair, no way I'm putting an oil that thick in my engine. I've been running Amsoil 10w40 and Torco T4MXR (15w40) and haven't had a problem. I race this engine and it's getting upwards of 60 hours on the topend with no perceived drop in compression and no rattle in the bottom end.

I don't know it my RFS engine in a quad is the same, or close to the same, as your engine. I do know that they ran RFS series engines in bikes for a number of years, and KTM has a track record of recommending high viscosity oil.

I guess, if I had to give you a recommendation, I'd say run a high quality 10w40 and analyze the oil to see how it's doing.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am running an aftermarket oil cooler on my engine; don't know if you have one stock or not.

M1 15W-50 is a very robust oil, with a good additive pack and excellent cold flow characteristics. It will work just fine in the 10W-50 application.

Please understand that the oil's viscosity varies greatly by temperature. And, every day is different. The slight variation between a 10W and a 15W is roughly equivalent to a 5 degree difference in temperature at startup!

However, with regard to the M1 15W-50, it's not particularly thick at cold temperatures, flows very well cold, in the past, it's numbers were a touch on the thin side (today they are spec on).

It will work perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback folks, I appreciate it. Sounds like everyone is pretty partial to the M1 15w-50, I have to admit that it has worked well in my Triumph for 25K miles now so I like it too.

I think I'm just concerned about the difference between a 10w and 15w because the 990 engines are a bit noisy on startup. Frankly though, they tend to be noisier on hot starts than cold.

I've been the same boat. I have a KTM 350, and dont really trust the Motorex(no real reason) and dont like the price. I have been running Redline 10/40 motorcycle oil, which is a thick 10/40, and add a little 20/50 to thicken it up a little. I add less 20/50 in the winter, more in the summer. There in no question in my mind that the Redline is good oil.

Any synthetic 20w50 will work just as well, and there no cold issue pour point with it at 32 degrees or lower like a Dino.

That would be my choice

The manufacturer has to spec an oil to cover the entire operating range. 10W-50 pretty much covers it.

However, we all know that these types of oils have a tendency to shear at least one grade right away. e.g. a 10W-50 would typically shear faster than a comparable 20W-50.

As Mr. Makelroy points out -
"Any synthetic 20w50 will work just as well, and there no cold issue pour point with it at 32 degrees or lower like a Dino"

Last edited:
castrol RS 10w-50: $12 liter with coupon @ cycle gear

elf/total 10w-50: about $9 a liter based on ordering multiple 4 liter jugs. includes shipping. can't remember where I got it. a VW parts website or googled it.

40k+ miles on my LC8 motors so far.

I also have a KTM v-twin. Two actually, a 950 Adventure and a 950 Super Enduro. Identical engine and displacement to the 990, just carb'ed instead of FI. As well as a couple of KTM singles.

Redline Oil does produce a 10W50, but it isn't in the catalog or website. Just call them up and you can purchase it directly, or they can give you the correct part number for your local Redline dealer to order. Don't expect the local dealer to now about this. They will likely not know about Redline 10W50.

I use Rotella T (10W40) in all my single cylinder KTMs, and have also used without any issues Rotella T6 (5W40) in my big KTM twins, though I do prefer a xW-50W during the summer.

With a 15W50 or even 20W50 instead of the spec'ed 10W50, I wouldn't worry at all about startup protection. You are still going to have plenty of oil flow, ust don't blip the throttle to high for 20-30 seconds and don't take it near redline till you have 3 bars on the temp gauge (which is good practice anyway). Though if you have a marginal battery and are riding in really cold weather, cranking speed might just be a bit slow. T

Last edited:
Hi...

I can't "tell you" what oil to run, but I can tell you my experiences. First, as a previous KTM owner, I have to say a couple of things. 1.) KTM makes a very high quality product. 2. They are nuts in two areas. Seats: (they seem to think granite or concrete are good for seat material!!) Oil: not sure where they get off on those odd oils. That said....

My son runs Mobil 1 10W-40 bike oil in an RC-51 and runs it hard. Never had a lube issue. He has also used M-1 20W-50 successfully. My friends use M-1 10W-40 in Gixxers and R-1's.
Both do track days and the R-1 guy races. I have used M-1 10W-40, Delo 15W-40 and Shell T-6 5W-40 in my Honda VFR800. Oil analysis from Blackstone Labs showed all three worked just fine and no wear issues of any kind. The only thing I could tell different was that the dino 15W-40 seem to produce fractionally less power and the bike rev'd a tiny bit faster with the two synthetic. I now use the Shell 5W-40 T-6 in all of my bikes and my Tundra. Very handy.... and it is relatively cheap for a good quality synthetic. I run 2,000 mile OCI's because of oil shear in the VFR. That motor is particularly hard on oil for some reason.

Here is the point to the above: I can't conceive that your KTM is going to be any harder on oils than any of the above sport bikes, especially a Honda RC-51 which runs quite hot and makes lot of torque.

The dino 15W-40's (Rotella, Delo and Delvac) are very good oils and resist wear well. They are also a bargain, relatively speaking. You can afford to change them more often. I would strongly suggest you do some oil analysis to see what is REALLY going on. If you don't do that you truly don't know what the heck is going on in the engine. If you ride a lot in cooler weather I would look hard at M-1 10W-40 or the Shell T-6. The M-1 15W-50 is also a proven oil. If you don't ride in cold WX then the M-1 20W-50 can be had at Walmart, sometimes on sale, quite reasonably.

BOTTOMLINE: Assuming you CHANGE the oil reasonably frequently, there are a ton of good, reasonably priced oils that will work well in your KTM. If you ride really hard or want longer change intervals, use one of the synthetics.

Good luck......

you could mix different viscosities, i started mixing @ 50% 10-40 and 20-50 both amsoil motorcycle oils, we really do not get that hot in pa and i ride in cooler weather as well. many people forget to consider where you ride, very hot florida weather NEEDS the heavier recommended oils, especially if its a big air cooled harley, REAL synthetic, which few are provide best protection IMO

Offroad bikes hold very little oil and they destroy it quickly in a matter of hours.

Its financial suiside if you ride alot to run $10 , $15 oil.

Frequent flushing every couple of hours is the best method, using sub $5 Diesil oils.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Amazon had the Castrol 4T 10w50 for $7/qt. I bought 3 six packs. Free shipping too.

Its pretty [censored] as far as my experience with it. Sheared super super fast in my Triumph Speedmaster. HATED the shift quality. Notchy and harsh.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Doog
Amazon had the Castrol 4T 10w50 for $7/qt. I bought 3 six packs. Free shipping too.

Its pretty [censored] as far as my experience with it. Sheared super super fast in my Triumph Speedmaster. HATED the shift quality. Notchy and harsh.

Seems to run fine in my Thunderbird. But some guys report they like the 20w50 better. I just go for the lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back