KTM recommends 10w-50, looking for options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Doog
Amazon had the Castrol 4T 10w50 for $7/qt. I bought 3 six packs. Free shipping too.

Its pretty [censored] as far as my experience with it. Sheared super super fast in my Triumph Speedmaster. HATED the shift quality. Notchy and harsh.

Seems to run fine in my Thunderbird. But some guys report they like the 20w50 better. I just go for the lower price.

Well in my Speedmaster both the 10w50 and the 20w50 Castrol don't hold up as well. Went to Valvoline 4t synthetic and have never been happier. Shifts like butter and shift quality stayed for twice as long. Only Castrol product I have found works well for the price is the good ole 0w30 German Castrol.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm going to throw this out .

First post please be easy !

I just picked up the same bike and have been looking at oils I will probely go with spectrol ~ But I have three bottles of AMSOIL 0w40 left over from my previous KLR that I owned .
I rode it late into season as I will my KTM .The KLR used to rattel at cold start after work 7am until I used 0w40 .

Does any one see issues with running AMSOIL 0w40 in this bike 600 miles new . First oil change things still pretty tight !

Thinner oil cold is better rite ??

so I'm thinking just let the engine warm in the morning which I do anyway !

Originally Posted By: TwoTrackinFool
SORRY

Also why is it I can't find the rating

JASO T903MA

Jaso MA ratings are basically just to assure you the oil is safe to use in a wet clutch/Shared sump system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back