Kobalt vs Autozone Duralast Ratchet Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brand is better? Kobalt has some good looking flex heads. AZ has ratchet wrenches but they don't have flex heads.

Last edited:
I've owned both brands before and they are fine. I think Kobalt might still have a lifetime warranty. Not sure about the Duralast.

I just bought a set from HF. Haven't used them yet but might be using them this weekend. I'm a big fan of flex heads.

If they are both made in Taiwan i would go with the one you like, if one is Chinese or Indian leave it on the shelf.
Taiwan is not such a dirty word anymore. US, European and Japanese companies have invested heavily in virgin tool steel production and manufacturing there.
Unlike mainland Chicom stuff many of their higher end tools meet some good norms for steel quality and fit.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
GearWrench

Since they started making them in China the quality has gone down bad, I recently threw one of their ratcheting wrenches in the bin because the open end broke in half.
If the steel is that poor there is no point in replacing junk with more junk under warranty.

I just get stuff at HF, since time is not money for me, money is money.
smile.gif
And with the lifetime don't care don't tell warranty, I'm happy. I used the HF 1/2 torque wrench to break a hub off an 87 mustang. That thing was rusted so bad it sounded like Das Boot when they dove deep, but a 3 foot pipe slipped on the end of the wrench made it all possible. The thing never broke, just never found it's way home after being borrowed
frown.gif

If you have a Menards nearby, they carry Master Force hand tools. Strong as heck, pro quality, lifetime warranty, made in the USA and a great chrome finish. Best of all, they are cheaper than most Craftsman tools which we all know are made in China now. I have Master Force flex head ratchets (except 1/4"- SK) and they are great. The internals are well lubed from the factory.

Master Force Flex head 3/8" ratchet

Master Force Flex head 1/2" ratchet

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
GearWrench

Since they started making them in China the quality has gone down bad, I recently threw one of their ratcheting wrenches in the bin because the open end broke in half.
If the steel is that poor there is no point in replacing junk with more junk under warranty.

Not Taiwan still? My set has been great, but I only use the ratcheting end. My go-to combo wrenches are either Wright or Snap-Ons. If you want a "good" open end… then you really need to look at Wright, Proto, Williams, or SO for their "flank/grip" feature. It'll snap off a bolt head before letting go, rounding or spreading. Of those, I feel the Wrights are the best value and the finish is amazing. Not sure if Wright makes a ratcheting combo, but the wright grip combos will set you back 150-200 for either an SAE or Metric set. Beats SO at $400+.

Thanks for the responses. The Kobalt are made in Taiwan and carry a lifetime warranty. The fit/finish are nice and the ratchet mechanism is smooth. I got a 12 and 14mm just in case I need them to remove the strut bolts on a 2003 Lexus ES300 plenum (replacing spark plugs). The 8 piece set is much more economical but I don't do as much wrenching these days so usually just buy what I need. Didn't realize that Kobalt are made only by/for Lowes, at least that is what it appears. When you click on the Kobalt web site link, Lowes opens.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Thanks for the responses. The Kobalt are made in Taiwan and carry a lifetime warranty. The fit/finish are nice and the ratchet mechanism is smooth. I got a 12 and 14mm just in case I need them to remove the strut bolts on a 2003 Lexus ES300 plenum (replacing spark plugs). The 8 piece set is much more economical but I don't do as much wrenching these days so usually just buy what I need. Didn't realize that Kobalt are made only by/for Lowes, at least that is what it appears. When you click on the Kobalt web site link, Lowes opens.

Lowes has Kobalt
Home Depot has Husky
Sears has Craftsmen

The Kobalt stuff is not cheap.

I have found the Duralast ratcheting wrenches to be a pretty solid tool. Unfortunately they skip many sizes , so they stay at home. My Matco ratcheting wrenches stay at work.

I got a snap-on flex head long handle 3/8" ratchet a couple years ago and it's amazing. Don't cheap out on your ratchets. They make a huge difference when you're in a tight spot and need finer ratcheting teeth. I got mine on ebay, but your local Snap-On guy may make you a decent cash sale on a repo or new tool.

If either of them is popular with mechanics you're probably safe to assume its ok, but for the frustration of broken tools it's totally worth spending the extra.
But do your research! I have a mix of Clarke Pro, Draper Pro, Halfords Pro, Hilka, Stanley and Bahco (labelled 'made in Sweden') but the newest Bahco is Argentinian and prone to breakage - point is you can't just trust the name because the names get bought out and shipped out to the cheapest bidder.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Don't cheap out on your ratchets.

I agree - alotta guys think they shouldn't put any money into tools, but they're missing out on the feel of high quality tools that are fun to use.

I assumed the OP is talking about ratchet(ing) wrenches as stated in the title. Not ratchets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back