Kia Niro vs. Camry Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am familiar with the Camry, but what are some thoughts on the Kia hybrids? I plan to test drive it and compare (while I'm borrowing my parents 18' Camry Hybrid), but are there any issues or known problems with the Kia's that I should be aware of? Planning for the higher model, EX or above... So price is somewhat comparable against the Camry SE.

Looking to buy either the 19' SE or the Niro EX (possibly the EV, depending...). My commute would allow me never to use gas to/from work, which is cool.

Just wanted to run it by the forum though and see if there are glaring issues and such. Obviously, Toyota has a bit more of a reputation and not so worried about their hybrid systems and such.

Appreciate it in advance!

I'd choose the Camry. Why? The Dual Clutch transmission in the Niro, although more fun, has given owners some frustration. Google the topic and see. Other than that, drive both and see which you like more. As for looks and vehicle type? I like hatchbacks and the Niro fits the bill.

The Kia drivetrain has a 100K mi/10 year warranty, which might be a consideration.

I've heard the same comments about the transmission in the Hyundai Kona.

Last edited:
Two totally different vehicle types. A sedan vs a crossover.

If you want a sedan hybrid and like Hyundai/Kia, there is the Ioniq. And of course, the hybrid Sonata and Optima.

If you want a crossover and Toyota, there is the Rav4 Hybrid.

If you have a physiological consideration that makes crossovers easier to get in and out of, or if the vehicle would be useless to you without the extra ground clearance, then by all means get the crossover.

Otherwise, I have never -- not once, not ever -- seen a crossover that I'd choose or recommend vs. any remotely comparable sedan/hatchback/wagon. The higher ride height and seating position carry so many downsides for little or no meaningful advantage.

One thing to keep in mind, at 6'6" some vehicles can be very uncomfortable for me. Off the top of my head, believe it or not, the Rav4 is atrocious for me when I sat in a 2017 I believe it was. I know a new one is incoming, though, but may be a bit too late hitting the lots for me. Mazda 3 (2010) is also pretty bad as my girlfriend has one. I'm fine in a Camry though, or even many other smaller cars (Kia Forte or [censored], even a Fiat 500 when we ended up with that one as a rental car lol). Just depends how they design the cockpit.

I am indifferent on the sedan vs. crossover. I likely will pick a sportier/rougher ride, as I prefer that over floaty suspensions. My Scion xB was lowered on stiffer springs, suspension mods and bigger wheels and less tire.. LOVED it. It was rough at times, but I like the go-cart type feel to an extent. Which is why I plan to go after the Camry SE to try and get a bit more aggressive performance, feel wise.

No doubt the Camry will also be more spirited, given the power of the motors and such. But things like audio, cabin noise and other things are all considerations as well.

Mainly just wanted to see though how the Kia Hybrid systems hold up, if anybody knew of any problems in terms of reliability and such. Good to know there is a 10-year warranty, for one.

Also, as noted above, any Kia rental I've had (usually a Soul) has an iffy transmission... So shifty and I always notice how much I don't like how they "feel". I'm picking up my dad's Camry tomorrow to drive a few days (2018 Hyrbid LE) so I will have a bit of time to really see how I like it and compare with whatever I test drive. I'll still need to find a Camry SE if any dealers have one to see how the suspension feels, though.

The problem with ride comfort in a crossover isn't only about suspension stiffness, though that's part of it.

Because you're up higher in a crossover, when the vehicle pitches or rolls a certain amount, you and your passengers experience more lateral movement than you would if you were closer to the ground. IOW, the same bumps and corners will throw you around more in a crossover than they would in a lower vehicle with the same suspension stiffness. So, on top of having a stiffer suspension for a given level of handling (a.k.a. worse handling for a given suspension stiffness), that stiffness has a worse effect than it would have in a lower vehicle.

I know I sound like a broken record...

What about a Chevrolet Volt? They added quite a few features for the 2018 models, making them more competitive with the competition. Add to that a proven drive train, and you've got a pretty solid match.

Your commute sounds like mine. My weekly driving leaves me using no fuel at all. I plug in in the garage at night, and I've got 35-42 miles of electric range in the morning. The 2018 does a good bit better than this, however.

The beauty of the Volt is that it gives you a choice. Be all electric, be in between, heck use all gas! It almost matches a Prius for fuel economy in pure gas mode, and I'd bet it beats the Camry in real-world use.

I made up my mind tonight... While I tried to keep an open mind with other manufacturers, since my brother works at a Toyota dealership and all it's a bit tough, so I decided to stop by tonight and check out the various Camry lines (hybrid vs. non, LE, SE vs XSE and so on) and whatever else they had on the lot. Decided to pull the trigger on the ONLY 2018 Camry SE Hybrid within some 300 miles of Cleveland he is able to get, supposedly the most scarce variant of the Camry. Going with Super White. The Blue Streak was my second go-to, but in person it's just a bit too much I think. The white SE with the dark alloy wheels and the body styling just made it look really nice. Will be getting tint on the windows as well to make it pop a bit more (cheap add-on thru my brother, installed at dealership), going with 35% all the way around. They will have the car on their lot next week sometime, so I should have it perhaps by next weekend.

The SE is a for sure winner over the LE and XLE. More planted, more "fun" to drive. The hybrid is more spirited than the gas-only 4-cylinder, so the hybrid option was an easy choice... Better MPG and better response/torque. Did not try the V6 model, as I really wanted some of the MPG benefit of the 4-cylinder or hybrid models.

Then to decide on lease vs. buy... While I was planning to buy outright, decided to lease once he showed me all the numbers, as with the various discounts/offers and whatever else he did, I can lease and then buy for nearly the exact same as just buying outright now with APR% added in. So this way, I can give up if I want in three years or if I love it, just buy it and really be out nothing. It may even end up cheaper if he is able to get me some additional discounts he needs approval for or something (may save another $20/mo or something).

I went with a 2018 simply because Toyota has no incentives on the 2019 as they are pushing all the 2018 inventory, so I would pay nearly $100 more per month just to have a 2019. That and the 2019 SE's won't get in until the end of next month, so I don't have that much time to wait. Whatever factors and such he was working with on the various models, it even surprised him that the buy vs. lease to buy option nearly rolled in identical in the out-the-door pricing. Caught it at a good time I suppose.

All in all, I think I will be happy with the choice. If not, I get to shop around again in three years.

Last edited:
Between these two, that's a great call!

Sounds like there's no reason to fret about not getting a '19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back