Hybrid vs Gas

$2k more for a better ride. What's not to like. Plus if things change in life, you're more likely to be driving more, not less.

I'm not much of a fan of CVT (CVT or eCVT), under the beans they "feel wrong". But under light usage, it's actually kinda nice. RPM says low, teh computer figures out throttle opening, rpm, loading, etc for max mpg. Yeah I'm that much more disconnected--if I wanted to be connected, I should go get a "fun" car instead. For commuting though, hum-drum is becoming fine for me.

In your case, you'll see very little benefit/difference in use, BUT on resale, the hybrid will fetch a higher price.
I think otherwise, because the idea of needing a battery replacement in the future would decrease the resale value.

I’m leaning towards a gas because I might only drive 6-7k a year.

Last edited:
I think otherwise, because the cost of battery replacement would decrease the resale value.
Long term (15-20 years), maybe. Short term (5-10 years) the hybrid will bring significantly more money, especially if the gas prices go a lot higher than they are now (a distinct possibility). In the mean time the hybrid upgrade would have paid for itself a couple of times over, enough to pay for the price difference and a new battery (and then some). A bonus is that the Toyota hybrids are among the most reliable and highest rated vehicles on the market.

I think otherwise, because the idea of needing a battery replacement in the future would decrease the resale value.
Long term maybe--but what is the value of a 10+ year old car? In your case, most would see the 70-90k on the clock and think they are getting a good deal--but it's still going to be like 50% of MSRP, or less. Lots of value goes away as it gets older.

On the plus side, too many RAV4's are getting sold as hybrids, I have to think, just like the Prius, if anything awry happens as the years go by, there will be enough people out there, rebuilding battery packs, to keep RAV4 popular and in demand.

If you qualify for the federal/state tax credit or rebate, the Hybrid RAV4 could be cheaper than the regular gas RAV4. The Hybrid is made in North America allowing for that(I don't remember...up to $7200 - $7500) federal/state tax credit or rebate depending on the state that you live in. You'll only get back in taxes what you pay in taxes. Again, I don't know all of the details.

We bought a 2023 Toyota Venza, the corporate sibling to the RAV4. However the Venza, while being made in Japan
does not qualify for the tax credits as of 2023 but the RAV4 still does qualify as does the Corolla Cross and maybe the Highlander too. This tax credit didn't concern us as we don't qualify for the tax credits in our household anyway.
Regular hybrid = no

Plug-in (Prime) = qualifies for rebates

Less than $2k price difference, I would go with hybrid. It will drive smoother because of the electric CVT, have better acceleration and much better gas mileage. Basically everything you want from a commuter.
This.

As a hybrid owner I know which one I'd buy, but given your annual usage, between the hybrid and the gas only Rav it's pretty much a wash in terms of operating cost versus initial outlay. The hybrid will have better resale value, so you would get back most of the price premium when you dispose of the car.

I’m leaning towards a gas because I might only drive 6-7k a year.
Up here it seems 2012-13 Camry hybrids maybe are are 10% more than gas ones. If you compare 2012-13 Prii to the same years Corolla, the Prii are around 25-30% more.
2016 Rav4 hybrids are near 20% more than normal ones as well, but there's no real risk of a battery issue yet.

Tough call on this. No doubt you are going to save on gas and maintenance on the hybrid long term. However that cable issue would deter me. It's very costly to replace on your own, and there will come a time when Toyota will not cover the cost. Just as a common sense issue, have a power cable partially exposed to the elements seems stupid to me. Even with the new splash shield underneath it water and salt will get on that cable eventually. Why they changed the connection on the Rav4 compared to all the successful hybrids they made in the past is a mystery. I would take a pass personally.

Back