High mileage 2020 Corolla Hybrid, any weak points?

After doing pretty good with the high mileage '17 Corolla iM last month, I won this '20 Hybrid online today. I've had a first gen Prius 15 years ago, but no Toyota hybrid since. Anything I need to know from those that are more familiar with it? Assume it uses 0W16? Does it use Li batteries or Ni? What's the difference between this and a Prius, i.e. why does Toyota make two compact hybrid sedans?

01.jpg

04.jpg

09.jpg

Toyota has free access to the user manuals and that will answer a few of your questions.

Info that may be of interest to some members:

That has the Prius drivetrain. Toyota held off making a Corolla Hybrid for years because they didn't want it taking sales numbers from the Prius. My wife wanted a Corolla Hybrid so we bought a new one a few years ago.

The Corolla Hybrid is the only current Hybrid with a traditional center column shifter?

It will state the battery type on the sticker under the hood. Toyota used both technologies on those but mostly Li-Ion I heard.

That battery could be tired at that MPG number I'm seeing. But that is about right when driving it 80 MPH.

It has a air filter for the air cooled battery at the corner of the right rear seat cushion.

It takes 4.4 quarts of 0W16. Toyota says you can use 0W20 but must use 0W16 the next oil change--Jargon for the EPA.

DO NOT leave the fuel door open more than 30 minutes and decide to put gas in the car. You might scratch your head but there is a reason.

It has hub caps on alloy wheels for a lower drag coeffiecent number. Some people take the hubcaps off and pop in center caps to complete the look. The tires are 195/65/15. Throwing on the wrong replacement tires can cost you a few MPG's.

The engine air filter is small. There are no engine belts. Absolutely use only the proper coolant for the hybrid coolant system. Say a dummy from Miami replaced it with water because it never freezes down here, you might as well sell it to the salvage yard as water conducts and will ruin crap.

Don't spill a Big Gulp on the rear seat.

Some of what I'm telling you comes from things I learned from The Car Care Nut YouTube channel.

My sister has this very vehicle, I had the pleasure of driving it in August and noticed the MPG readout: 55.1

I mentioned it and she told me that is the lifetime average, not just the trip.

Good golly

There is an almost pointless secret remote start feature on these cars. Press the lock button twice and press it a third time while holding down on it until you hear the car beep. It will run for 10 minutes. Like if it's hot out and you wanna run in mini mart real quick. The AC runs on these cars while the engine is off. The AC compressor runs off electricity and will run off the hybrid battery. The engine will kick on if it needs to in this mode. The water pump is electric, too which makes the car warm up quick. I bet an electric water pump scares some members LOL.

You could say that for any car with 144,000 miles. Anyway, it made it back 375 miles with no problems and got nearly 60 mpg.
You could say it about anything. I wish you the best with the car, but let's get real, that mileage is the elephant in the room. I think you know that. On the plus side, the car has very likely been maintained well. I would replace all fluids, belts, brake pads, filters, complete full safety inspection and thoroughly clean it up. I would buy all of the materials on Amazon and shop carefully for price. If the original car battery is there, I would replace it. Beyond that, I would drive. You can't really predict what else is going to fail... but the long list includes starter, alternator, radiator, rotors, wheel bearings, suspension parts. But again, there is really no comparing a 144,000 mile car to a 244,000 mile car. The latter is through its usable life by any reasonable accounting. Some cars go 400,000 miles. Most don't. Most are in the junkyard well ahead of the 244,000 mile mark.

It will not have a starter or an alternator or any drive belts (being a Toyota hybrid).
Also, I would think that the high voltage battery has not been exercised much since this car has clearly spent its life cruising highways.
Maintain it well and you will probably hit 300k with it.
May I ask what you paid for it?

For high mileage cars like this I think you may want to check the suspension (bushings and struts, control arms etc) for mileage based wear. Hoses are probably still fine consider it is only 2020. Fuel filter may last 300k as mpg is double of a typical gas car but I'd just wait on that. No starter, no belt, no need for 12V battery yet probably (this is likely the only kind of car that a 12V would last longer than the high voltage traction battery). Cabin air filter and various air filter? floor mat due to driving time wear? headlight bulbs?

Sounds like a dream car for a kid going to college and long commutes.

Back