Kia manual allows 5w20 and 5w30 but not 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are leaving out an iota that I found using 20w .... and I've only used 20w twice in my life.
Both times, my engine accelerated faster and ran smoother. Was it quieter?..... No. Did I use more?.....yes! Did my magnetic oil pan plug get silver shreds on it when drained?..... yes!

Do I buy 20w oils today?...... no. But some vehicles operate / respond better with it, don;t shed any silver and don't consume the 20W oil.
Oils are all different and just like the food we eat, oils react differently to the specific engine it's in. So if your owners manual allows it, then at-least try it once.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You are leaving out an iota that I found using 20w .... and I've only used 20w twice in my life.
Both times, my engine accelerated faster and ran smoother. Was it quieter?..... No. Did I use more?.....yes! Did my magnetic oil pan plug get silver shreds on it when drained?..... yes!

Do I buy 20w oils today?...... no. But some vehicles operate / respond better with it.

Do you get "silver shreds" when you drain a 30 grade?

Not to this date and I've been changing oil since 1970. But hence!....... all my vehicles never called for 20w or 40w oils on the engine oil cap, not even my 1970s Cudas or Camaros. The only 20w's I saw being used back then was by friends that tried straight 20W in their yesteryear vehicles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Not to this date and I've been changing oil since 1970. But hence!....... all my vehicles never called for 20w or 40w oils on the engine oil cap, not even my 1970s Cudas or Camaros. The only 20w's I saw being used back then was by friends that tried straight 20W in their yesteryear vehicles.

Interesting, I wonder if a UOA would have shown a spike in iron, or if the shreds were too big to be detected.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Whammo
I have a 2012 Kia optima and the Manual allows 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 but doesn't say anything about 0w20 or 0w30. Is there any reason these wouldn't be suitable for this 2.4 L GDI engine?

Anything is suitable, there are products on the market in every imaginable way, so why look for other products that are not mentioned?
There will always be one someplace.

Bottom line, use 5w30 for extremely COLD weather if you live up north someplace or even in hot weather, its the perfect all around oil.

10w30 is an option if you never drive in cold weather below 25 f or so, either one is fine.

Why on earth anyone would use a 20 make no sense, yes, ok, if you driving in weather that never gets above 32 degrees. 20 weight oil is the biggest EPA scam in history, people in here go nuts over thinking if they should use 20 weight or not. They will have no problem with the 20 but the thing is, the truly right oil in ALL cases above 32 degrees is 30 weight. Simple and clear. 20 is for a faction of a mile per gallon, if that.

With all due respect, do you believe a 5w30 is better than a 0w30 for temps that get down to -30F?

With all due respect, do you believe a 5w30 is better than a 0w30 for temps that get down to -30F?

For the season when one is going to deal with -30F or lower start up temps, the 0w30 probably would be a good choice. I live in Iowa and never really consider it when the temps are in the -20's, but my personal vehicles live in a heated garage when not being used. So I could use a 10w30 and not have a problem. But I just use a 5w30 year round and don't really give it any more thought.

I didn't even use a 0w30 when I lived near Fairbanks, Alaska. Folks up there use a little common sense and install oil pan warmers and battery blankets on their vehicles along with block heaters. Temps can dip in the -50's actual and cars start like a warm summer day and oil pressure up as if the outside temp was 70F. I just used a 5w30 there also.

What one should use is dependent on a number of variables with a little sense thrown in.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I have a 2012 Kia optima and the Manual allows 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 but doesn't say anything about 0w20 or 0w30. Is there any reason these wouldn't be suitable for this 2.4 L GDI engine?

Anything is suitable, there are products on the market in every imaginable way, so why look for other products that are not mentioned?
There will always be one someplace.

Bottom line, use 5w30 for extremely COLD weather if you live up north someplace or even in hot weather, its the perfect all around oil.

10w30 is an option if you never drive in cold weather below 25 f or so, either one is fine.

Why on earth anyone would use a 20 make no sense, yes, ok, if you driving in weather that never gets above 32 degrees. 20 weight oil is the biggest EPA scam in history, people in here go nuts over thinking if they should use 20 weight or not. They will have no problem with the 20 but the thing is, the truly right oil in ALL cases above 32 degrees is 30 weight. Simple and clear. 20 is for a faction of a mile per gallon, if that.

This has nothing to do with me.
To answer your question, Kia says it doesnt believe 0w30 is better then 5w30 at -30F.

As far as what I believe doesnt matter, living in the southern part of the country, not a concern for me. I tend to trust the manufacturer but in your extremes I think I would look at the 0w but doubt 0 vs 5 will make much difference at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back