Mixing oils - question re: diesel and gasoline oils

Got 5 quarts of free diesel motor oil 15w50. Hate to waste it. I have some 0w16 and 0w20 oil. I was thinking I could mix these in even amounts to make a 30 weight oil, which I could either use in my mower or in my old V6 Ford pickup that takes 10w30 or 5w30. Is there anything specific to diesel motor oil that would not mix or otherwise cause harm in a gasoline lawn mower or old truck engine?

A couple years ago I mixed 2.5 quarts of diesel 10w30 a friend gave me and 2.5 quarts of normal 10w30 that I had on hand and ran it in my pathfinder for 5k miles with no issues you will be fine

The oil viscosity is non linear.

In other word: mixing 20 and 50 in equal amoutn is not going to yield 35.
There is a calculator here in BITOG somewhere, I forgot.
Somebody can chime in.

15W40? Why not run it during the summer months (without mixing) in your Ford pickup?
Sorry yes, Delo 15w40. I wrote the wrong weight initially. The fundamental question is really whether Delo oil is fine to use in a gas engine, and/or mix with gasoline engine motor oils.

Sorry yes, Delo 15w40. I wrote the wrong weight initially. The fundamental question is really whether Delo oil is fine to use in a gas engine, and/or mix with gasoline engine motor oils.
It is fine for gas or diesel.

You can check the rating.
DIesel rating start with Cx where x = K for the most recent rating.
Gas rating start with Sx where x = L or P or N etc.
So if it has both rating means that they can be used for both.

Plus, the engine itself don't know if you are putting diesel or gas oil in it.

I wouldn’t mix it at all works great in lawn mowers

If you have an oil burner use it as topoff oil

During the summer it works fine in most any older car, below 20F it will get quite thick making for a slow start

The guys above are right…

It’s good mower oil. And it can be mixed and run with 0w16 or 0w20 and put in the older Ford V6 for summertime and fall use.

In winter time and being that you are in Ohio where it can get quite cold… I wouldn’t be testing any oil winter rating that is unknown.

Of course a 5w in your area and in like 80 percent of the contiguous US is just fine.

Only places I’d be wanting to run a 0w oil is in eastern Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, fair amount of Wisconsin, upstate New York, Vermont and New Hampshire and Maine.

Though there are occasions like December Christmas 1983, January 1985, January 1988, December 1989, February 1994, and more recently January 2014, February 2015, January 2018, February 2021 where it can get extremely cold in many areas east of the continental divide.

In Christmas 1983 we had a high temperature around 14 degrees in southeast Va. In January 1985 we had the coldest temperature I have ever heard of at -12 F. It was even colder in Ohio and points north and west of there.

Back