Keeping maintenance records for warranty

Looking for some input on the best way to keep maintenance records for a new car that is within warranty period.

I understand that Magnason Moss allows for people to change their own oil and perform routine scheduled services but I question how I could prove this should a new car ever need a warranty repair.

My concern is having just pictures of receipts and/or an excel spreadsheet would be met with scrutiny and push back from auto manufacturers leading to a possible warranty claim denial.

Thoughts?

Magnason Moss is useless. The reason being is that you would need a lawyer to settle the issues at hand. You have one lawyer-the auto manufacturers have a boardroom full. You lose. With that being said-you can take pictures of your receipts and keep a digital file. OR-as someone who always have purchased new vehicles-you can have the dealer perform the service within the warranty period. This is what I have done and never experienced any issues what so ever. Unfortunately-on these threads you get a lot of pontification from those who have never bought (new/used) vehicles with a warranty-or cites a case for a friend of a friends third cousin removed who had issues.

Invoices showing what you bought, along with meeting what the mfg. calls for in the vehicle. OOPs I might have just opened Pandora's Box with the MM Act. ;) Maintenance intervals that at least coincide with what is stated in the owners manual. I use a spreadsheet, with date, miles, the service done, part used, the part number, oil and grade, and invoices to prove it. If the vehicle is out of warranty and I put a part in it with a lifetime warranty I note that too. I've brought back parts that failed years later with the invoice to a parts store and got a free replacement part. Something I would have forgotten about. They weren't always happy about that either. lol EG a water pump, rebuilt starter or alternator a decade later.

No one is going to penalize you for doing an early oil change, extending them, you decide. Make sure all fluid levels are correct if you're bringing it in for warranty work. Bringing in a vehicle with a rod knock low on oil is not going to bode well for you. Having said that I never had to go through that extreme for a new vehicle warranty claim.

With my last car I would drain the oil and replace the filter. Then get my phone ready and do a 60 second video of pouring new oil in, filming the receipt, then getting in the car and showing the odometer. I uploaded to YouTube as unlisted so it has a good date stamp. I also photo copy receipts (they fade) and keep them in a folder, writing the date changed and mileage on the receipt.

I pay for and use the fuelly app.

There's other apps that probably do it better at this point but I know how to use it. It can be little verbose manually entering in cost amounts and stuff but I create a service record with it and then store pictures of the invoice or receipts and product.

Consider the scenario in which your claim is denied, and you find yourself in litigation. What evidence could persuade the jury that you consistently performed timely oil changes using the correct oil and filter? I personally would create a brief video for each oil change, beginning with the car's VIN tag and displaying the odometer reading. Proceed to demonstrate the installation of the new filter, pouring in fresh oil, and conclude by showcasing the receipt. Additionally, ensure you retain the receipts for both the oil and filter.

Videos ...omg . I let the dealer perform the oil changes during the warranty period . They usually had oil change specials anyway .

I take pictures of the receipts and create an album in my phone. I also use a three hole binder with clear plastic pocket protectors where i place a note of the work done plus the physical receipts. And finally, for oil changes, i do all of those plus post pictures here on BITOG.

Put all receipts in a folder with the log of date miles etc. having a video is a great idea like someone mentioned. But still keep the paper receipts and a log.

Back