Maintenance, Miles, and Longevity

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Let's start with the engines) and use the Camry/Lexus 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines, both known to be mechanically reliable powerplants. Let's say that their service record, oil changes, filter changes, etc., have been minimal or poor (10K+ change intervals, oil of unknown quality, cheap quick lube filters, and poor driving habits, such as no warmup, short trips in cold weather, heavy on the throttle while the engine is still cold).

If the car has less than about 20 - 25,000 miles on it over a three-four year period, how much would its reliability and longevity suffer if purchased by someone who was very careful and thorough with maintenance and drove with care? IOW, could the new owner expect a long and trouble-free life from the engine or would it be reasonable to expect problems a less than 100,000 miles?

I understand that this is not a question that can be answered with any degree of certainty, but I'm curious what others might think about such a scenario. For myself, I'd be cautiously optimistic about a long, trouble-free life from the engine.

I understand that this is not a question that can be answered with any degree of certainty,
I think you answered the question.

3 year old car, 25k on the clock? Mechanically fine, worst I can think of is rusty rotors. That said: anything can be a lemon. Nothing in life is certain.

I think pretty much any engine can make it to 100k with minimal maintenance, it's at 150 and then 300k when good maintenance habits start to pay off. A car that's been abused for 25k will probably be trouble free if it's carefully maintained starting at that mileage. Even if it only had one oil change in those 25k I doubt it would make much difference.

A coworker had a mid to late 90’s Camry with the famous “sludge“ prone engine and it ran great for years until she traded it for a new Camry.

Let's say that their service record, oil changes, filter changes, etc., have been minimal or poor (10K+ change intervals, oil of unknown quality, cheap quick lube filters, and poor driving habits, such as no warmup, short trips in cold weather, heavy on the throttle while the engine is still cold).
So you mean, 75% of vehicles on the road ? It will be just fine.... Can I prove that ? Nope, just like no one can prove the opposite.

I have seen too many vehicles that have run quick lube oil and filters make it over 300,000 miles.

20-25k miles and 2 or 3 oil changes, on a Toyota Camry? Chances are, probably nothing. But as others have said, nothing is certain.

I have seen too many vehicles that have run quick lube oil and filters make it over 300,000 miles.

Are you sure? These vehicles should have self destructed.........along with stripped oil drain plugs and who knows what else. :)

Back