K&N air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
SELL IT: put it up on eBay at a cheap price- somebody out there wants it.

+1

Why waste money?

Do people buy these things used?? I guess they do...I'd never buy one used unless I was certain it didn't have any tears or other damage ( might not be evident unless you look at it closely ) and it was maintained correctly and they used the proper oil...versus something else.

If you really wanted one $40 plus dollars new versus someone selling a used one for $20-25 would be worth the difference.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Overpriced junk. Great for coating your maf sensor in oil.
+1 so true, and we sell K&N products here at the Speed Shop

Had a look at my K&N for the first time in 40,000km, looks good, it's going back in without cleaning or oiling.

Airbox is clean and dry, no dust or oil, carbs are also clean and dry.

Throwing money down a rat hole. You can't do any better than the OEM.
smile.gif

Chuck it... I did with the one on my Focus from the previous owner. Chucked it and replaced with paper. Cleaned the black oily mess off MAF shortly after.

Get rid of it. Had one I got for free and had sensor issues from then on. I run Wix's or Frams, can't go wrong with either.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I returned the K&N air filter I had purchased after reading this, never installed it...

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

A buddy of mine recommended them because he used them in his M5, but he stopped using them after he kept having to clean his MAF sensors...he may have been over oiling, IDK.

It's funny- they say that the Purolator they tested may have given off incorrect readings because the seal was torn.
cry.gif

I was somewhat surprised to see Amsoil rank the worst in terms of accumulative dirt capacity. Not because I think Amsoil is awesome, just that it ranked at the very bottom instead of being simply average. But that's OK, I'm sure that Amsoil can buy -er, fund- another 'independent' third party study that will refute those findings.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
I returned the K&N air filter I had purchased after reading this, never installed it...

A buddy of mine recommended them because he used them in his M5, but he stopped using them after he kept having to clean his MAF sensors...he may have been over oiling, IDK.

It's funny- they say that the Purolator they tested may have given off incorrect readings because the seal was torn.
cry.gif

I was somewhat surprised to see Amsoil rank the worst in terms of accumulative dirt capacity. Not because I think Amsoil is awesome, just that it ranked at the very bottom instead of being simply average. But that's OK, I'm sure that Amsoil can buy -er, fund- another 'independent' third party study that will refute those findings.
wink.gif

cry.gif

wink.gif

The TS series of air filters were an oiled foam and were replaced, not too long after this study, by an entirely different design utilizing Donaldson synthetic media (the Ea series).

Amsoil has stopped manufacturing direct-fit air filters, however they still sell "universal replacement" filters leveraging that same media.

That's why dates are important. This article is from 2009.

So, because Amsoil had the worst filter in terms of capacity against all others tested in 2009, it doesn't bear discussion? I'm glad that they replaced it with a better design from what you're saying, but I was merely making an observation.

So, because Amsoil had the worst filter in terms of capacity against all others tested in 2009, it doesn't bear discussion? I'm glad that they replaced it with a better design from what you're saying, but I was merely making an observation.

I don't think any of the other tested filters were foam. Yes, the foam filter was at the bottom of the pile with respect to loading capacity, but it wasn't on efficiency. The K&N on the other hand was the least efficient AND 2nd lowest in loading capacity, only beating out the foam filter by a whopping 15.3 grams. In contrast, the difference between the 1st and 2nd place filters was 126.5 grams.

My takeaway was that many of these "performance" air filters are a downgrade from OEM and with the K&N, you are scratching at the bottom for both metrics: efficiency and loading capacity.

Being cognizant of the date of the study doesn't mean we can't discuss it, but it bears mention, since it doesn't properly reflect the current product portfolio of at least one of the brands being discussed.

And when I think about how much money I've shoveled into K&N "performance" products when I was kid. Dad always said it was taxation for idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back