Just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
When changing the oil on a hot engine, is it possible for the new cold oil to crack the block when pumped through the still hot engine. I know this can be a problem with cold coolant in a hot engine, but what about cool oil in a hot engine ?

Maybe if the engine was super hot and the oil was almost frozen. I have never had or even heard of a problem with a hot motor and cool oil.

In the '70's I was a wash boy at a car dealership and took the service truck over to another dealer to pick up some parts and over heated to truck until it stalled. Even after being towed back and found that it was out of oil; it sizzled when they added oil to it. Heck I think that truck is still there to this day. Not one of those black marks on the road was mine. heehee
wink.gif

you cant crack the block with cold oil.

water is a better at heat transfer then oil is, hence why cold coolant will crack blocks.

Actually it is an interesting question - and you can learn something about oil seeking an answer.

(an I have though about it when topping up a very hot engine!)

I used to wonder the reverse: If my hot oil with the oil pan heater would do something bad to the very freezing cold block when I fired it up, but everything seems fine after three winters of the heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back