just starting to consume oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just change the PCV..its under 10$ and at 150k miles could use a new one. That might be the reason for the tiny oil consumption. Change PCV and keep doing what you are doing with oil.

i run this truck about 140 miles a day, sometimes w/ heavy loads ,but i try to baby it as much as possible 26.5 combined mpg, just some extra info...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
our shop truck (96 tacoma 2.4)is at 397k! does not use any noticeable amount of oil!

amen, pls check the items mentioned by others,

With 285k on the clock why are you looking for a change? Just check your oil more often.

i suppose the theory is less cylinder pressure the better? what would happen to my truck going balls out using 20w50, would i starve the heads of lube? IS THIS A DUMB QUESTION?

Originally Posted By: tacoguy714
i suppose the theory is less cylinder pressure the better? what would happen to my truck going balls out using 20w50, would i starve the heads of lube? IS THIS A DUMB QUESTION?

I live in Canada, I gave my 81 Toyota PU (22R) 20w-50 it's whole life. Summer and Winter
(but it only lasted for 500k before rust got to the frame and I had to junk it)
confused.gif

hi everyone, got a 2002 tacoma 2.4l 4 banger with 285,000 miles. its finally starting to consume some oil, not visually.

i have gone 6000 mile oci and oil remains at full level

So where's the consumption? If you don't see any drop in oil, then your engine is NOT consuming oil...there may be other issues but oil consumption ain't one of them.

And just because a PCV valve rattles, that doesn't mean it's working PROPERLY. Change it...and check the PCV valve hose for brittle ends that can leak....

Last edited:
Maybe a bit of LM Mos2 as I believe its a 30wt might help. In the summer you could try a 7wt by going half m1 hm 5w30/10w30, but on my 95 tacoma I used m1 hm with mos2 and it slowed my leak/consumption. Like others have said until you really notice like a qt low I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Seriously, with 285,000 miles on it, you've done well. Why change oils at this point? A 0w30 would give you better start up, but the use of other viscosities clearly hasn't made a big difference in engine life.

My truck leaks about a quart every 1,500 - 2,000 miles. Mostly from the oil cooler, some from the rear main seal. I should fix it...one of theses days...but I've got a lot of other priorities ahead of that rear main seal job. So, I buy oil on clearance. The QS in it currently was .98/QT. the Castrol Edge that had been in it was $1.98 / QT.

So, if you start using oil (actually using it), then you can either a) fix the problem, which is expensive, or b) buy cheaper oil...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Seriously, with 285,000 miles on it, you've done well.

So, if you start using oil (actually using it), then you can either a) fix the problem, which is expensive, or b) buy cheaper oil...

...just to be clear...not cheap oil...just good oil, cheaper...plenty of that on sale often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back