Swapping Oils: Mobil 1 High Mileage to European Formula?

The car has 226k miles on it and does consume some oil, but nothing unbearable.

I currently use Mobil1 High Mileage (5w30 or 10w40 depends, but I prefer the latter). But the ideal viscosity would be 5w40 which is not available in this grade. However, Mobil1 offers that viscosity in the European Formula. Car isn't European, but I've heard around here that this formula is actually superior to HM? Does anyone have further insight to this? Anyone do a BlackStone lab test?

The 10W40 High Mileage is more than adequate.
This.

Unless the HM is more expensive/harder to get, stick with it. You won't see any difference between the 2 except in color of the label or pennies in your piggybank. HM oil keeps things clean, conditions seals, and reduces consumption through burn-off. Euro oil does same albeit with slightly minor different chemistry to allow longer OCIs for most Euro makers recommendations/requirements. Potato or Potatoe. Extra "e" for Euro :p.

@shortyb the two oils are identical in price. And if I'm doing the same OCI then I believe the 5w viscosity would overall be best year round for my climate.

Things like my ATV, snowblower, and Porsche, actually specifically ask for 0w40.
I find it hard to believe that if it weren't a great oil, they would be asked for, especially by Porsche.
Mobil 1 0w40 was the factory oil, and what it got yesterday during its first oil change.
I'll soon be doing my ATV and boats oil change, they will be getting Mobil 1 0w40 to.

I'm thinking of going to Mobil 1 0W-40 "European Formula" in my Toyota. (Up from 0W-30). I've heard the "European Formula" is also somewhat superior. Albeit I have no idea why.
Because Euro architecture and German engineering are generally better than their American counterparts. But you can flush their politics along with your next 💩, they stink. 🤣

Can I take from this thread the High Milage oil is very similar to oils called European car oil.?

Are you in the camp that they are very similar. I am not sure how to take your answer?
I was replying to the other guy. I, too, have been informed that they are similar but so far for an oil forum I haven't had any sufficient answers or reasons.

I was replying to the other guy. I, too, have been informed that they are similar but so far for an oil forum I haven't had any sufficient answers or reasons.
Similar how? The High Mileage 10W-40 has no OE approvals, and less AW chemistry (lower levels of phosphorous) than the FS Euro 5W-40/0W-40 oils, which also happen to have an extensive list of OE approvals.

Similar how? The High Mileage 10W-40 has no OE approvals, and less AW chemistry (lower levels of phosphorous) than the FS Euro 5W-40/0W-40 oils, which also happen to have an extensive list of OE approvals.
Dunno it's almost as if I was the one who posted this question seven months ago.

And what would the advantages or disadvantages be between the two?
OE approvals guarantee you a minimum level of performance. I've posted some of the limits and test procedures for the Mercedes and VW approvals on here in the past, you can find them using the search function.

Higher levels of AW additives generally mean better wear control, the only disadvantage being if your engine consumes a lot of oil, you run higher risk of catalyst poisoning.

Given the choice, I'll always go with the Euro option.

@OVERKILL I made this thread back when I was more active so I should re-mention that my only concern is that the vehicle is Korean; Hyundai Tiburon (2.0L @ 242k). There's no catalytic converters now so there's no concern there.

It's just that this is one of the few oils that offer the coveted "5w40" viscosity. The only others I recall is Castrol (eh, no thanks) and Shell Rotella T6 which is a higher price per quart.

@OVERKILL I made this thread back when I was more active so I should re-mention that my only concern is that the vehicle is Korean; Hyundai Tiburon (2.0L @ 242k). There's no catalytic converters now so there's no concern there.

It's just that this is one of the few oils that offer the coveted "5w40" viscosity. The only others I recall is Castrol (eh, no thanks) and Shell Rotella T6 which is a higher price per quart.
If you don't need the 0W-xx Winter grade, then the M1 Euro 5W-40 is an excellent choice, and would be the one I'd make.

Back