Just Seven Days Left!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some old people posting in this thread.
LOL.gif

Second of all, Fox had a special about it never happening and it was a hoax/conspiracy, so I don't believe it happened because Fox shows nothing but the truth on their networks.
crackmeup2.gif

Quote:
I can't believe we stood on the threshold of space, and then turned our collective back as a society on it. If there are human historians in the next century, they will probably wrangle endlessly on what madness could have possessed the United States to give up on the exploration of space.

We should have been much further along by now. Our knowledge curve is hitting the up turn point on the exponential curve ..but in all the wrong directions. I had no doubt about the future back then. It was a glorious time looking forward in my imagination. 2001 ASO was hopelessly optimistic ..while it should have been well behind the curve.

I think there's a window of opportunity that has passed by. I doubt that there's enough available resources to do the job at this point in time.

This could be the end of the road
21.gif

The Soviet Union collapsed and now they are our buddies, we no longer thump our chest loudly.

We are now taking incremental steps instead of fundamental steps. The general public could care less about increments and for the most part can't comprehend them.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Moon shot practice anyone? I was aboard the USS Essex (CVS 9) that recovered Apollo 7 from the ocean.....still in the Navy when the lunar landing occurred and watched it in Hawaii.

EssexApollo7.jpg

Also in this picture along with many others.

that is bloody awesome mate.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
I can't believe we stood on the threshold of space, and then turned our collective back as a society on it. If there are human historians in the next century, they will probably wrangle endlessly on what madness could have possessed the United States to give up on the exploration of space.

We should have been much further along by now. Our knowledge curve is hitting the up turn point on the exponential curve ..but in all the wrong directions. I had no doubt about the future back then. It was a glorious time looking forward in my imagination. 2001 ASO was hopelessly optimistic ..while it should have been well behind the curve.

I think there's a window of opportunity that has passed by. I doubt that there's enough available resources to do the job at this point in time.

21.gif

Kennedy set it as a goal as a matter of pride to beat the Russians. well, they did, and then what? It's kind of like setting out to run across the USA to the pacific. once you get there you turn around and go home.
maybe people would be more gung ho over it if they saw any benefit. it's not like life has gotten better because of space exploration. to many people, it doesn't make sense to go looking for stuff in space while there are so many problems here.
unfortunately the legacy left from space exploration is space junk.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Quote:

21.gif

Kennedy set it as a goal as a matter of pride to beat the Russians. well, they did, and then what? It's kind of like setting out to run across the USA to the pacific. once you get there you turn around and go home.
maybe people would be more gung ho over it if they saw any benefit. it's not like life has gotten better because of space exploration. to many people, it doesn't make sense to go looking for stuff in space while there are so many problems here.

Ah, I hear this every time the subject of space exploration comes up. Our return on investment from the space program has been incalculable. The monitors that check on us in ICU? Developed from the units used in the space program. The computer you're using? Descendants of the big ones developed for space. Have a look here for these and more: http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

"The people" might see some benefit if NASA had a better public relations program, one that would trumpet these achievements. If we had a Luna City or a Marsopolis now, think of the employment benefits! We'd need engineers, scientists, cooks and maintenance people, electricians, miners, computer techs, businessmen -- the list could go on and on.

I'm horribly afraid that it will be the end of the road -- that, with the kind of "leadership" we've been getting since 1975, and may well get into the future, we'll have missed our chance.

A planet is far too fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: mpvue
Quote:

21.gif

Ah, I hear this every time the subject of space exploration comes up. Our return on investment from the space program has been incalculable. The monitors that check on us in ICU? Developed from the units used in the space program. The computer you're using? Descendants of the big ones developed for space. Have a look here for these and more: http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html

"The people" might see some benefit if NASA had a better public relations program, one that would trumpet these achievements. If we had a Luna City or a Marsopolis now, think of the employment benefits! We'd need engineers, scientists, cooks and maintenance people, electricians, miners, computer techs, businessmen -- the list could go on and on.

I'm horribly afraid that it will be the end of the road -- that, with the kind of "leadership" we've been getting since 1975, and may well get into the future, we'll have missed our chance.

A planet is far too fragile a basket for the human race to keep all its eggs in.

not too fragile, it's put up w/ human abuses for a good while now, keeps comin' back.
I get what you say about the tech spinoffs; we got sonar and radar and other stuff from WWII, I guess that was worth it also.

True, the Earth has put up with a few things, though I submit that whatever abuses humans have managed are pretty tiny flea bites. I meant, suppose we got hit with a really big asteroid/comet -- one that would make the Dinosaur Killer look like a pebble?

In a blink, the human race goes out forever. But if we have colonies circling other stars, we can go on. No, we're not at the star-traveling stage yet . . . but if we don't get started soon, we never will be.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
The previous Christmas, when the mission just orbited the moon, was special as well.

I have vivid memory of that christmas mission and looking at the full moon with a star (or planet?) very close by and thinking there were men orbiting the moon (Apollo 8?). I was 5 then.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Astroglide?

I'm surprised the auto sensor didn't catch that one.
grin2.gif

Been listening to Collins and Houston discussing some sextant and star sighting issues for the last thirty minutes or so.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Astroglide?

I'm surprised the auto sensor didn't catch that one.
grin2.gif

The starship USS BITOG has a defective auto censor suite that let one squeak by unnoticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back