NASA can’t get two screws out…

Impact driver + BFH

EZPZ.

NASA, seriously? This isn’t rocket science. Oh, wait a minute…

C23C8395-92EA-4908-AF67-0D28958CFA36.jpeg

Easy out? I have an impact driver you smack it with a hammer and works great for removing those screws that hold the rotors on my Civic. I'm also a machinist by trade so I'm sure that even I could get them out.

At first, they look like Phillips screws, but upon closer inspection, they actually have a slight twist/offset to them, and oriented like you might see like on an anti-theft fastener to promote cam out when trying to loosen them.

If they can figure out how to fix the Hubble in orbit during a spacewalk (which did require some brute force), this shouldn't be a challenge.

They can just take a propane torch and heat around the edge of the hole and just use an impact driver to get them out.

They can just take a propane torch and heat around the edge of the hole and just use an impact driver to get them out.
Except for the contamination of the sample.

Look, this is an asteroid sample. It’s in a sealed chamber to prevent even atmospheric contamination. Just like the moon rocks.

So, they’re not “hands on” with it.

Also, no solvents, no heat, no drilling or the hundreds of millions spent getting the sample is lost when the sample is contaminated.

Last edited:
Back