Just put the wrong filter on my Fit. Consequences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was oil change day at my house. I did the Fit first and then the Accord. I grabbed the oil and the filters from my garage shelf, telling myself in my head the PL14610 was for the Fit and the PL14459 was for the Accord.

Well, I got done with the Fit and was getting ready to start on the Accord when I realized I had just installed the wrong filter: I put the PL14459 on the Fit. It fit just fine and spun on and tightened no problem.

I have not yet started the car up, so is it too late to change it? Should I even bother? Will there be dire consequences of leaving the wrong filter on?

Thanks for advice and guidance.

No problem, either one is okay on either car, one with wider and shorter than the other. PL14459 is also fit he S2000, I'm looking for similar diameter with PL14459 but 1.5-2.0" longer for my S2000.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
Change it

Capture the oil and reuse it as you will need to top up

But if the engine hasn't been turned on since, wouldn't the filter be empty? I don't know too much. Just asking.

If used oil was still dripping out when you screwed the new filter on then there could be a little used oil in the filter. Other than that, yes it should be empty.

Provided you lubed the o-ring properly I can't imagine any damage has been done, but if the o-ring was dry there is a very slight chance it's scuffed. You would be able to see that by looking at it.

NO REASON TO CHANGE Most all hondas spec the same filter be it minivan or fit, though the s2000 specd a better unit. Also same as many Nissan and some hyundais and Acura and subaru. BTW the WIX 57356 (NOT 51365 0r 56) seems to be the best aftermarket unit Ive run on the Fit and Ive tried: Champ labs (ACDelco), puro classic, Honda (honeywell)(yucch) and I was going to try a Nissan filter until I saw it was chinese garbage.

Yeah I wouldnt worry much since it isn't a habit and hasnt been the case over many miles and cold starts.

But use this as a learning experience since it appears that they are interchangeable and one is better than the other.

Thanks everyone. Good to know that I won't be damaging the car even if I leave it on. I'll probably just change it out in the morning since it's still on jack stands.

The opening and thread size are identical (M20-1.5) which is why I didn't stop to double-check. Next time I put the right filter next to the right car before I start the job!

Don't change it. The 14459 has more filter material and claims to filter at 99.9% at 20 microns while the 14610 only claims 99.9% at 40 microns. Personally, I would always use the 14459 in place of the 14610 if it fits. In any case, no harm at all and possibly some benefit.

Yeah actually in the low end "Pro Motive" Puro filters sold to shops the 14459 has been replaced by a 14610 or 14612 sized filter.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Don't change it. The 14459 has more filter material and claims to filter at 99.9% at 20 microns while the 14610 only claims 99.9% at 40 microns. Personally, I would always use the 14459 in place of the 14610 if it fits. In any case, no harm at all and possibly some benefit.

Actually, the PL14610 has more media than the PL14459. I've used them both on my 2004 Altima V6 and have cut each open and measured the media area.

PL14610 = 104 sq-in
PL14459 = 84 sq-in

And yes, the PL14610 is rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns (for some unknown reason) and the PL14459 is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns.

Also, the PL14459 has a normal coil spring in the bypass valve, while the PL14610 has a flat spiral spring.

Quote:
Actually, the PL14610 has more media than the PL14459. I've used them both on my 2004 Altima V6 and have cut each open and measured the media area.

PL14610 = 104 sq-in
PL14459 = 84 sq-in

I'm not arguing with you, but that is awfully hard to believe based on the difference in exterior size of the two cans.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Yeah actually in the low end "Pro Motive" Puro filters sold to shops the 14459 has been replaced by a 14610 or 14612 sized filter.

Good point, and actually in the 'made fors' Pro Motive, Group 7 and others like QS and Pennzoil filters, the larger diameter 14459 and the longer 14610 have been consolidated and downsized to the thimble size 14612. While that's likely ok, it's not my preference and why I still like the Puro branded filters like the Classic available at Wally which have all the application choices.

Even though the 14610 efficiency rating is lower I prefer it's somewhat greater media area and construction with nice even and straight pleating as compared to the 14459. But that's just me.

To answer the OP's question, as long as there's room width/diameter wise which there obviously is, there should be no issue. The 14459 is actually the spec filter size used for many/most pre 2001 Hondas. Same thread pitch and gasket seating. I wouldn't bother swapping.

Before removing the incorrect filter,you must first immobilize the incorrect filter sensor alarm on the engine!
crackmeup2.gif

Seriously,I would just leave the filter on there.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back