Just ordered Ariens IkonXD 52

Just ordered an Ariens Ikon XD 52” zero turn. This is my first ride on mower and I spent some time researching before buying. I was also considering the Toro Timecutter 50” with the Kawasaki V-twin and the John Deere Z515E. I had to make a decision soon because everything that I’m interested in within my budget is sold out in my area and new supplies aren’t expected soon.

Does anyone have any experience with this mower?

No first hand experience, but it was on my radar when I was buying mine back In January. Overall a pretty decent mower but I went with a 50” Cub Cadet ZT2 for its stouter more easily serviced hydros, ZT-2800’s. The Ikon XD has the “sealed” EZT hydros. From the reviews I watched, the Ikon XD gives a bit more even of a cut since the deck is hung from 4 points instead of my 3.

Would be nice to know what the specs are seems to be it has EZT non serviceable hydro on it and it’s a pretty good size machine.

I’m not gonna sugar coat it but I’d pass on a EZT on that size of machine.

I have the smaller Zoom ZT from ariens, and considered an upgrade to the ikon 52 because the ikon has what looks to be a sturdier deck. I’m a bit rough with decks.

i think you’ll be quite pleased with it. Even with my zoom, the quality is very good and it’s been a pleasure to own. I worked on my first John Deere rider this weekend, and while I’m sure the JD was the lowest-end of their models (mechanical belt-rub pto, lots of plastic, looked like a plastic transmission, speed pedal was crude/stiff), the ariens was simply a nicer machine. I’ve mowed my lawns and cared for several others with the entry-level zoom, and it’s been great.

note, my transmissions claim to be sealed, no drain plug, but they have fill plugs. I’ve changed the fluids in mine with a top side extractor, no issue.

I appreciate the honesty. I’ll do what I can to keep it running for years to come.
If your yard is flat or mostly flat, I think the EZT hydros will be sufficient. You *can* service the EZT units, though I believe you must take them off the mower in order to properly drain them. I have a few good sized hills which is why I stepped up a grade. Just keep them clean of dust and grass so they don’t overheat. I bought a leaf blower for that purpose.

My maintenance plan is to do an oil and filter change at 5 hours, 25 hours, and then once a year after that, Cub recommends 50 hours or once a year, though Kawasaki recommends every 100 hours. I will also be blowing off the deck, engine, and hydros with my leaf blower after every use.

If your yard is flat or mostly flat, I think the EZT hydros will be sufficient. You *can* service the EZT units, though I believe you must take them off the mower in order to properly drain them. I have a few good sized hills which is why I stepped up a grade. Just keep them clean of dust and grass so they don’t overheat. I bought a leaf blower for that purpose.

My maintenance plan is to do an oil and filter change at 5 hours, 25 hours, and then once a year after that, Cub recommends 50 hours or once a year, though Kawasaki recommends every 100 hours. I will also be blowing off the deck, engine, and hydros with my leaf blower after every use.
Thanks for the advice. I think i’ll do the same.

When I followed these things closer 12+ years ago, the HydroGear EZTs tended to be problematic. Thrust washer wear, casing flex, water wicking down the input shaft and into the oil, etc.. I'd like to think things have improved over time. As @Skippy722 said, you can change the oil on the EZTs, it's just going to be a lot more effort and there's no spin-on filter like the 2800s have.

I too owned a machine with the ZT2800 drives and it was right about the first 1-2yrs into production back in 2010. The drives were fine, I just wasn't a big fan of the overall machine for my particular mowing needs. It was a 2010 Cub Cadet Z-Force ZTR w/ a fabbed 44" deck.

Back